• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assorted African Birds (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

1) Small brown bird in our camp in Serengeti.
2) Egyptian geese in flight? Okavango River Delta, Botswana
3) Cormorant with a white-breast...so a white-breasted cormorant? Also in the Delta, Botswana
4) Vultures on high, Okavango Delta, Botswana. I think there's two different species, based on different wing shapes?
5) Swallow of some sort on Chobe River, Botswana.

Attachments

• IMGP0548.jpg
    IMGP0548.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP2425.JPG
    IMGP2425.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP2461.JPG
    IMGP2461.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP2469.JPG
    IMGP2469.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMGP2671.JPG
    IMGP2671.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 71
1 Common Bulbul
2 White-faced Whistling-Ducks
3 agree
4 Lappet-faced (left) and White-backed
5 Wire-tailed Swallow

The cormorant is actually a juvenile Reed cormorant (wholly brownish neck base, thin neck and relatively weak bill)
I'd look twice before calling the vulture a Lappet-faced...might be something else, unless Adam can confirm it was a neatly bigger than the White-backed.

Edit: Some pics of both White-breasted and Reed cormorant (scroll down a little): http://www.gobirding.eu/Trips/Malawi2.php

Last edited:
Yeah, good pick-up on the cormorant Tib (lazy me!)
As to the vulture, going more on wing shape and broad, pointed secondaries that LF usually seems to show....if I saw that over Africa I wouldn't think twice about calling it a LF

The cormorant is actually a juvenile Reed cormorant (wholly brownish neck base, thin neck and relatively weak bill)
I'd look twice before calling the vulture a Lappet-faced...might be something else, unless Adam can confirm it was a neatly bigger than the White-backed.

Edit: Some pics of both White-breasted and Reed cormorant (scroll down a little): http://www.gobirding.eu/Trips/Malawi2.php

Can't confirm anything on size, they were very far above me. Part of a circling horde as there was an elephant nearby that some elderly over-compensating American had just shot, much to our dismay.

The vulture has a nice very and even serrated trailing edge (saw-tooth) without any moulting gap, so I would go even further and say this is a juvenile Lappet-faced.
Tom

Correct, but White headed Vultures do not and these square wings do not look like a gyps

I'm inclined to think Lappet-faced too, but because impression of wing-shape dependant on flight attitude and angle to observer not sure gyps species can be ruled out.

It did cross my mind.....just gut feeling to me says LF ;)

Mine too...I was being too cautious. The "spiky" tail is diagnostic. The "saw-tooth" trailing edge (good one btw!) is a good pointer too, but juv White-headed can appear rather similar in this respect.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back