• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A week in south east Poland, 29 May to 5 June 2011 (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

A report will be posted later; here are some pix. More later, too.

Attachments

• aaPolPIX Fine Fare sm.jpg
    aaPolPIX Fine Fare sm.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 80
  • aaPolPIX I'll be White Back sm.jpg
    aaPolPIX I'll be White Back sm.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 109
  • aaPolPIX Mrs LessoftheSpot sm.jpg
    aaPolPIX Mrs LessoftheSpot sm.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 99
  • aaPolPIX Nutcracking views sm.jpg
    aaPolPIX Nutcracking views sm.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 105
  • aaPolPIX Wotta Haw ! sm.jpg
    aaPolPIX Wotta Haw ! sm.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 122
Day 1: 29 May

Arriving at Rzeszów airport at lunchtime, I found my way through the city, via a Tesco (!), for basics, and out south.

I took a couple of hours on the drive to Zagórz, a small town on the River Osława, stopping at likely spots close to the road.

Golden Orioles and a few Red-backed Shrikes were slightly different from England.

After checking into the hotel, I drove down the river a bit, getting good views of River & Icterine Warblers.

Towards dusk, both Black and White Storks flew in/over.

Days 2 to 5: 30 May to 2 June

The next day, I drove south-east towards Muczne, in the far corner of Poland, close on the border with Ukraine.

I was to spend 3 nights here, in the idyllic Willa Arnika.

Ring Ousels and Red-backed Shrikes were in the garden. Fantastic and varied habitat nearby.

I ‘ticked’ my White-backed Woodpecker (having previously only heard them, in Spain and the Czech Republic) and renewed acquaintanceship with Nutcracker, Black Woodpecker and Dipper.

Despite having been given sites for Collared Flycatcher, I saw neither these, nor Red-breasted or Pied the whole trip ! ! Nightingales were absent, too, with Red-backed Shrikes far fewer in numbers than I would have thought. I saw no Turtle Doves.

Most of my time I spent in search of butterflies, however.

Day 6: 3 June

A massive thunderstorm, with 2 hours of torrential rain, curtailed any activity (save swimming in the pool) later this day. The next morning saw me along the River San at Przemyśl.

Here, in lovely, garden-type allotments, I vainly attempted to see Syrian Woodpecker. Heard, yes ! Close as 3 metres, but wrong side of tree. Aagghh ! This was to be repeated this day and the next morning.

However, singing Icterine Warblers, a quick male Golden Oriole and Hawfinch made up for this a little.

The Arboretum at Bolestraszyce, a few miles north east of the city, provided a pleasant few hours- apart from three school parties. Again, Icterine Warblers and Golden Orioles, with unseen Syrian.
I then north west drove to Janów Lubelski, for my last two nights.

Attachments

• 585sm.jpg
    585sm.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 78
Days 7 & 8: 4-5 June

A large national forest is near this town-

I sampled some of the varied habitat, plastering myself with ‘Off’, at times, to avoid the horrible, midge-type insects.

Butterflies and dragonflies were the majority of my sightings.

However, as I was about to drive to the airport, I walked along the lake shore for the last time, only to hear grunt grunt, croak croak, etc. A Great Reed Warbler came up on to the top of some reeds, 10 feet away from both myself and a fisherman, oblivious to our presence.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back