• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (24 Viewers)

Water levels at Flashes

John R informed me that at 3pm yesterday the level was 0.51. I am therefore going to remove the angled pipe which should drop off at least 2 cm in 24 hours.

Phil I will also put up the 'all-dayer' boards at both Moors and FlashesB :)John

Although fully endorsing the fact that reserves should be first and foremost for the benefit of the ecosystem and the wildlife contained therein, one of the 'fringe benefits' of hides (certainly in the case of UW) is the spirit of camarderie it can create amongst visitors, which can only be a good thing. One only has to look at the numbers of posts that are generated on this forum as opposed to, say, the as yet hideless Middleton Lakes, to witness a team spirit that will have been established by mumerous hours spent in hides sharing information and general thoughts and gossip.

Although fully endorsing the fact that reserves should be first and foremost for the benefit of the ecosystem and the wildlife contained therein, one of the 'fringe benefits' of hides (certainly in the case of UW) is the spirit of camarderie it can create amongst visitors, which can only be a good thing. One only has to look at the numbers of posts that are generated on this forum as opposed to, say, the as yet hideless Middleton Lakes, to witness a team spirit that will have been established by mumerous hours spent in hides sharing information and general thoughts and gossip.

Hi Claudy
with the new flashes hide and the new moors hide later in the year,I would imagine there will be an increase in hide capacity over the 2 sites from what there has been. I completely agree about the benefits of watching from a hide that you highlight. I'm certainly not against a new facillity on the north moors if it can be facillitated, and as I've said I'm happy to help support fund generation if needs be. It seems that the fire event has created an opportunity for those expert in the running and development of the reserve to look at the bigger picture and at the forefront to this is habitat development and improvement. If secondary to this further facillities can be incorperated then both the general wildlife, birds and birders will come out better for it.

John R informed me that at 3pm yesterday the level was 0.51. I am therefore going to remove the angled pipe which should drop off at least 2 cm in 24 hours.

Phil I will also put up the 'all-dayer' boards at both Moors and FlashesB :)John

Are we all starting in the same place ? I'll be starting at the Moors first thing. I will be bringing refreshment by way of a few bottles of Starling Black Label, brewed by yours truly for those flagging a little later on..B :)

Quick question: Following "Woodwolf"'s link to the Upton Warren Flickr Group, who is "Warrener"? Best pics I have seen from Upton so far.
I cannot imagine taking such good shots with my equipment, does he use a prime lens?

Arthur Jacobs

I have just been informed that Arthur's funeral will be next Friday (11th May) at 1:15 at Redditch Cremetorium. Upton regular John Cox will take the service.

What is the consensus on the potential weather effect for the weekends birding ?

Re Warrener... It's Stuart, if you follow his profile link on flickr, even if not logged in , there is a link to his website

What is the consensus on the potential weather effect for the weekends birding ?

Re Warrener... It's Stuart, if you follow his profile link on flickr, even if not logged in , there is a link to his website

Cold and N/E winds, my guess is the hides will get more use than normal ;) as for the birds I've no idea, it seems to have been a really slow Spring so far, I see no reason for that to change tomorrow, not even a cuckoo yet, I find that staggering :eek!:

Cold and N/E winds, my guess is the hides will get more use than normal ;) as for the birds I've no idea, it seems to have been a really slow Spring so far, I see no reason for that to change tomorrow, not even a cuckoo yet, I find that staggering :eek!:

Sunny til mid day for Gropper, Cuckoo, Hoopoe, Alpine Swift and Red Rumped Swallow.. Afternoon cloudy and dull for wader fest.

I'm only going for the banter and cake :t:

He also he came up trumps in the Worcs Wildlife Trust's photographic competition. The winning bird pictures that were taken at Upton Warren can be seen here.

Brian

Hi Bob - the Trust are talking to their insurers at the minute; what we are looking at is to see if there is the opportunity to do something better than just do a like-for-like replacement in the current spot (given the previous hide in the same location was also "flame grilled").

Thanks for the reply Phil, at least it's not fund raising from scratch.:eat:

Are we all starting in the same place ? I'll be starting at the Moors first thing. I will be bringing refreshment by way of a few bottles of Starling Black Label, brewed by yours truly for those flagging a little later on..B :)

Gert
I will nip into the Moors on route to the Flashes about 4am.

Mark
over the years we have had all sorts of weather conditions. From the ideal, Warm SE winds with thunderstorm. to NW winds, cold and wet. Also very hot and still. On every occasion something has turned up.
The ideal South Easterlies didn't always perform as you would have expected. Basically, the total coverage of the daytime hours is the important factor. Although you do need an inspirational bird at an early stage.
B :)John
ps did you bake that cake, you promised.:eat:

Viewpoints

I have attached 2 diagrams of the best viewpoints around the reserve.
These are in areas where a lot of work has been carried out on this season's Work Parties. The areas are not as easily worked as the wetland areas, but if you are in the area it would be worth a few minutes stake out. These scrubby areas could well be hiding that elusive species we need for the day list. I have spent a good few hours (not all at the same time I hasten to add) overlooking these areas and I really think a goodie is going to appear one day. Give one of them a whirl tomorrow.B :)

Attachments

• best Flashes viewpoints (2).jpg
    best Flashes viewpoints (2).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Best Moors viepoints (2).jpg
    Best Moors viepoints (2).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 105
Thanks to everyone I spoke to at UW today for pointing out various things of interest. The views of the peregrine in front of the moors hide taking at least 3 swifts / swallows (difficult to tell which it was) this afternoon was a real buzz for me. Not so good for the swift or swallow granted, but great views.

ALL-Dayer

I have just confirmed with the 3 other team leaders that we are all good to go in the morning.

If there is anyone who doesn't know what this is, well here goes:
For the last 19/20 years, we at Upton have embarked on a 24 hour Birdwatch at the reserve. Basically we record as many species as we can between us, this includes flyovers as well as singing/calling birds.
In the last couple of years we have been in competition against Belvide and Marsh Lane (last year). This year we have a 4 way competition. During the day we text each other to keep tabs on the respective totals.
Suffice to say Belvide won each time, although we did come 2nd ..when there were 2 teams in it:smoke:.

The Teams are
Belvide - Steve Nuttall
Marsh Lane - Nik Barlow
Middleton Hall RSPB - Geoff Williams
and US
may the best team win.
Best of luck everyone
come on Boys we can do it 3rd will do8-P

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back