Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wader Photographed in South Africa

Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:09   #1
doug_newman

Wader Photographed in South Africa

HI all.
Maybe as the northern hemisphere folk are a lot more familiar with calidris waders, I was wondering on opinions on this bird. My feel in jizz would be little stint, however the lighter appearance and more noticable dark feather centers had me interested in rednecked stint. It was photographed at an inland pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stint.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	17834  
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:32   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Never seen these two in full winter plumage, but looking in 'Shorebirds' suggests Little, as the dark feather centres are diffuse, whereas RNS is shown as having a more sharply defined fine black line
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:39   #3
doug_newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker
Never seen these two in full winter plumage, but looking in 'Shorebirds' suggests Little, as the dark feather centres are diffuse, whereas RNS is shown as having a more sharply defined fine black line
I thought so as well. I checked shorebirds and I would say the more obvious thing is the slightly more "hunch-backed" look of little sting vs the more slender look of rednecked. The only thing that got me excited first was that it was far lighter in appearance than the others it was with. Possibly a bird from the tropics or so - more bleached feathers. Might this also be due to age? Would there be a difference in overall plumage fadig in winter with firsta year adults vs older birds. Might this be an older bird than the group it was with?
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:40   #4
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker
Have just typed red necked stint into yahoo search. Clicked on 1. Errrr I don't think so!

John.
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:42   #5
doug_newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barclay
Have just typed red necked stint into yahoo search. Clicked on 1. Errrr I don't think so!

John.
Are they that different in full winter plumage?
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 19:46   #6
doug_newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_newman
Are they that different in full winter plumage?
If you went too the wikipedia link, ummm thoes are not rednecked stints inthe pic they show. Thoes are sand-plovers of a sort.
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 20:38   #7
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_newman
If you went too the wikipedia link, ummm thoes are not rednecked stints inthe pic they show. Thoes are sand-plovers of a sort.
I've removed the offending pic now! (tho' it'll still be on google's cache of course)
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 23:13   #8
Edward woodwood

seen big numbers of RNS in winter plumage

for what it's worth they are very very difficult for me to separate except on call!!!

calls are really very different

Tim
Old Thursday 10th March 2005, 06:55   #9
doug_newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
seen big numbers of RNS in winter plumage

for what it's worth they are very very difficult for me to separate except on call!!!

calls are really very different

Tim
Hmmm.... That makes it very difficult for us here in SA. We only get a few of these birds and they are considered a rarity here. They virtuallynever call, so one has to rely solely on giss and feather markings.
Old Thursday 10th March 2005, 08:02   #10
Jane Turner

I find winter plumage stints really hard... though If I saw this here I'd not be looking much past Little Stint (possibly wrongly!)

Last Cheshire Pied Wheatear (313) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Bonaparte's Gull (209), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: