• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Icteridae (1 Viewer)

Well, Richard, there is a slight benefit: size.

In .xlsx format the size is 75.4 kB, in .xls format it's 99.0 kB. But I don't think this is enough reason for all this inconvenience.

Theo

I'm sure that the IOC team isn't deliberately trying to make life difficult for anyone, and is just using the current default format (.xlsx). But, as Theo says, there's no obvious benefit in using .xlsx for straightforward spreadsheets – it just creates unnecessary inconvenience for many users. Although I use Excel 2007, I've always had it configured to save files as .xls by default to maximise accessibility.

Apologies, folks
I should pay more attention to the xls default
File now xls
f

Common names

Powell, Barker, Lanyon, Burns, Klicka & Lovette (in press). A comprehensive species-level molecular phylogeny of the New World blackbirds (Icteridae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]
AOU-SACC Proposal #641 (Remsen, Jul 2014): Change English names in certain Icteridae: (A) Bay-winged Cowbird, (B) Red-breasted Blackbird and White-browed Blackbird, and (C) Band-tailed Oropendola and Casqued Oropendola.

Powell et al 2014. [pdf]

Last edited:
Pale Baywing

AOU-SACC Proposal #642 (Fraga, Aug 2014): Elevate subspecies Agelaioides badius fringillarius (Pale Baywing) to species rank.

AOU-SACC...
30b. Jaramillo & Burke (1999) proposed that the subspecies fringillarius should be considered as a separate species from Agelaioides badius. Fraga (2011) treated it as a separate species and called it 'Pale Baywing.' SACC proposal pending to treat fringillarius as a separate species.

Fraga 2011 (HBW 16).

Last edited:
Female song and male-female duets

Odom, Omland & Price (in press). Differentiating the evolution of female song and male-female duets in the New World blackbirds: can tropical natural history traits explain duet evolution? Evolution. [abstract] [supp info]

Last edited:
Nest shape & sexual dichromatism

Drury & Burroughs (in press). Nest shape explains variation in sexual dichromatism in New World blackbirds. J Avian Biol. [abstract]

Remsen et al 2016

Powell, Barker, Lanyon, Burns, Klicka & Lovette 2014. A comprehensive species-level molecular phylogeny of the New World blackbirds (Icteridae). Mol Phylogenet Evol 71(1): 94–112. [abstract] [pdf]
Remsen, Powell, Schodde, Barker & Lanyon 2016. A revised classification of the Icteridae (Aves) based on DNA sequence data. Zootaxa 4093(2): 285–292. [abstract]

Linear classification:
  • XANTHOCEPHALINAE Remsen, Powell, Schodde, Barker & Lanyon, new subfamily: Xanthocephalus
  • DOLICHONYCHINAE Ridgway, 1902: Dolichonyx
  • STURNELLINAE Chenu & des Murs, 1853: Sturnella, Leistes
  • AMBLYCERCINAE Remsen, Powell, Schodde, Barker & Lanyon, new subfamily: Amblycercus
  • CASSICINAE Bonaparte, 1853: Cassiculus, Psarocolius, Cacicus
  • ICTERINAE Vigors, 1825: Icterus
  • AGELAIINAE Swainson, 1831=1832: Nesopsar, Agelaius, Molothrus, Dives, Ptiloxena, Euphagus, Quiscalus, Lampropsar, Hypopyrrhus, Gymnomystax, Macroagelaius, Amblyramphus, Curaeus, Anumara, Gnorimopsar, Agelaioides, Oreopsar, Agelasticus, Chrysomus, Xanthopsar, Pseudoleistes
(With thanks to Van Remsen.)

Last edited:
  • STURNELLINAE Chenu & des Murs, 1853
Attribution to Chenu & Des Murs ([OD]) is at least questionable IMO. The authors seem to assume that the latinisation, by a subsequent author, of a name introduced in a non-latinised form would somehow "automatically" validate the name as available from the earlier author who had used it in non-latinised form. But this is not what the relevant article says:
11.7.2. If a family-group name was published before 1900, in accordance with the above provisions of this Article but not in latinized form, it is available with its original author and date only if it has been latinized by later authors and has been generally accepted as valid by authors interested in the group concerned and as dating from that first publication in vernacular form.
(Emphasis mine.) I would be curious to know how many publications where this name is attributed to Chenu & Des Murs can be found. (The answer should really be more than "two" for the requirement to be fulfilled; I know of no more.) I read this article as an exception statement--something like: okay, if really, the name has been latinized by others, AND widely treated as valid, AND widely attributed to this particular publication, let's not disrupt this. But this not how things are supposed to be normally.

• CASSICINAE Bonaparte, 1853
(The [OS] is Cassiceæ, not "Cassiceœ" (or, to use a font closer to the original: Cassiceæ, not "Cassiceœ"). - was a standard ending for family-group names below the subfamily in this time; somewhat equivalent to our current -ini. "-œ" is not a possible plural ending in Latin at all; if the name ends in this, it fails to satisfy Art. 11.7.1.1.)

Isn't "Cassicus Illiger 1811" ["OD"] problematic as a type genus? Illiger did not claim this name as new at all, he expressly attributed it to Cuvier, Lacépède and Duméril -- who had previously made it available under the spelling "Cacicus". Additionally, Illiger did not provide any statement to the effect that he had modified the spelling intentionally, he did not cite the correct OS, and Cacicus => Cassicus is not a type of change that could be repeated on other names: under the present Code (Art. 33.2.1), the change in spelling cannot even be interpreted as "demonstrably intentional", and "Cassicus Illiger 1811" ends up as an incorrect subsequent spelling (not even an emendation), with exactly zero nomenclatural standing.
Accordingly, I would tend to regard "Cassicus Illiger 1811" as being Cacicus Lacépède 1799 [OD], misspelled by Illiger, and mis-attributed to him by subsequent authors; if so, the stem of the family group name is to be corrected to that of the correct OS of the type genus under Art. 32.5.3.3 (i.e.: it should be Cacicinae Bonaparte 1853).

Last edited:
Why Leistes has been separated from Sturnella ?
"Given the deep divergence between them, the long tradition of treating the species in separate genera, and the subjective rationale for the current broadly defined Sturnella, we recommend restoration of Leistes for the red-breasted lineage, as in Dickinson & Christidis (2014)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back