• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image recognition technology .... (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Interesting report about developments in computer image recognition technology at http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/s...ugh-in-content-recognition-software.html?_r=0

It's one thing to identify frisbee players or people in an open air market (shown in a related article), but how long before they tackle bird ID? I'd guess the current technology could manage 'bird in a tree' but not get down to group level let alone individual species. A similar project being developed re: bird sound has been mentioned before (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29808352), but I'd imagine deciphering photos would be more challenging.

I thought about the same when I saw the article! I think sight identification of birds on photos would work better than sounds (where is it impossible). One reason is that birds have well described ID characters - which part of the body is what color or shape.

Yes, I can see it now: submissions to BBRC must be accompanied by a photograph of sufficient quality to work with our image recognition software... don't give them ideas!

John

No, better - Google will release BOURC app for $0.99 and kill the market for bird guides and rarity committees. ;)

Last edited:
No, better - Google will release BOURC app for $0.99 and kill the market for bird guides and rarity committees. ;)
It won't kill the market, as people in Britain will have to add on £40 bank currency exchange charges to get the 99 US cents :C :storm:

Just what we all need: apps to recognise birds by sight or sound. Then we don't need to learn anything. Actually we could just send out drones and put our feet up with a glass of something acceptable ;)

Just what we all need: apps to recognise birds by sight or sound. Then we don't need to learn anything. Actually we could just send out drones and put our feet up with a glass of something acceptable ;)

If you're buying, it's acceptable!B :)
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back