Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

‘Gibraltar buzzard’

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 17th September 2012, 19:41   #1
Acrocephalus

‘Gibraltar buzzard’

Not really a published work yet, but worth looking at. See Dick Forsman’s website. He mentioned also that a paper by Javier Elorriaga and his colleagues on the identification of ‘Gibraltar buzzard’ and the Atlas Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus cirtensis is on its way.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2012, 23:05   #2
KFC
Ken Tucker

Fascinating. Never saw that one coming (I checked the date to make sure this wasn't an April fool joke). Will be interesting to read more. I'm intrigued that the putative ancestral parental lines are Atlas Long-legged and Steppe Buzzards. The former seems logical, but is Steppe not an eastern species rarely venturing to the Straits? Just off the top of my head - probably completely wrong.

Ken
Old Tuesday 18th September 2012, 23:16   #3
Simon Wates

That would account for many "quase" cirtensis in S. Iberia!
Old Friday 21st September 2012, 21:05   #4
Valéry Schollaert
Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or skin!

Hi all,

This is one more argument that cirtensis should be included in Buteo [buteo] superspecies, with relationship closer to buteo than rufinus...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=171497

Cheers

Valéry
Old Tuesday 16th April 2013, 20:43   #5
Acrocephalus

Hybridisation in the Strait of Gibraltar

Elorriaga J. & Muñoz A.-R. 2013. Hybridisation between the Common Buzzard Buteo buteo buteo and the North African race of Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus cirtensis in the Strait of Gibraltar: prelude or preclude to colonisation? Ostrich 84 (1): 41-45.
abstract
Old Thursday 9th May 2013, 11:30   #6
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Atlas Long-legged Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrocephalus View Post
...a paper by Javier Elorriaga and his colleagues on the identification of ‘Gibraltar buzzard’ and the Atlas Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus cirtensis is on its way.
Rodriguez, Elorriaga & Ramirez 2013. Identification of Atlas Long-legged Buzzard and its status in Europe. Birding World 26(4): 147–173.

Includes 71 colour photos. As Mohamed indicated, also addresses identification of 'Gibraltar Buzzard' Buteo rufinus cirtensis x b buteo.
Old Friday 10th May 2013, 16:34   #7
Rui_Caratão

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim
Rodriguez, Elorriaga & Ramirez 2013. Identification of Atlas Long-legged Buzzard and its status in Europe. Birding World 26(4): 147–173.

Includes 71 colour photos. As Mohamed indicated, also addresses identification of 'Gibraltar Buzzard' Buteo rufinus cirtensis x b buteo.
Is this issue of BW available now?
Old Friday 10th May 2013, 16:54   #8
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui_Caratão View Post
Is this issue of BW available now?
Yes, I received my copy by post yesterday. Also...
Quote:
A complimentary [sic] article, 'Long-legged Buzzards in Europe: Britain next?', covering the breeding population in Europe and the increasing vagrancy to north and west Europe will be published in Birding World soon. Eds.

Last edited by Richard Klim : Friday 10th May 2013 at 17:04.
Old Friday 10th May 2013, 17:16   #9
Rui_Caratão

Thanks Richard! I must check BW website, on how to order one copy.
Old Saturday 1st June 2013, 23:53   #10
Acrocephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post

Here is an English summary of this article which is based on the Spanish summary published by Reservoir Birds, 'Gibraltar buzzard': sobre los Ratoneros Moros del Estrecho (PDF with photographs).
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 16:37   #11
Acrocephalus

Pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrocephalus View Post
Elorriaga J. & Muñoz A.-R. 2013. Hybridisation between the Common Buzzard Buteo buteo buteo and the North African race of Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus cirtensis in the Strait of Gibraltar: prelude or preclude to colonisation? Ostrich 84 (1): 41-45.
abstract
In case someone still interested to read the full paper, the PDF is posted in researchgate.
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 20:03   #12
Simon Wates

Thanks Mohamed! One comment; here in the southern Portugal - especially in the Baixo Alentejo we have a fair number of apparently impossible to identify Buteos - presumably the contact zone described in the article reaches further than the area shown.
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 22:55   #13
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
abstract
I didn't know buzzards nested at sea

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old Saturday 29th March 2014, 15:13   #14
jurek

What about the old idea of moving Buteo rufinus cirtensis into Buteo buteo cirtensis?
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 16:04   #15
Acrocephalus

Pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post

PDF of the paper for those of you who haven't read it yet.
Old Thursday 22nd December 2016, 19:17   #16
Acrocephalus

Atlas Long-legged Buzzard in Europe

Chamorro, D., Olivero, J., Real, R. & Muñoz, A.-R. (accepted). Environmental factors determining the establishment of the African Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus cirtensis in Western Europe. Ibis doi:10.1111/ibi.12451 (abstract)
Old Friday 23rd December 2016, 15:44   #17
macrourus

Simply a warning note: sure some birds are hybrid, as myself has proven even before the quoted articles (see my paper in Dutch Birding) ...Indeed, I have followed the adult birds breeding, one a typical buteo and one a typical cirtensis, all the way till the juvenile fledged.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...008?ev=prf_pub

However, several photos around, even in the last Forsmann great book, should be proven as being hybrids or the so called "Gibraltar Buzzard", as they simply could be normal juv grey-brown cirtensis to my eye (or would need DNA to be proven). Indeed, cirtensis normally have a least (or even an unknown) grey-brown morph too often mystaken as hybrid or "Gibraltar Buzzard".

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2012/12/...egged-buzzard/

Since very long time I have a paper in progress, about Atlas Long-legged Buzzard identification, variability and morphs, together also with one about the "hybrids and hybridisation" Crested/Oriental Honey Buzzard with Honey Buzzard that will report several new stuff and interesting material... Unfortunately, working to too many projects and papers (now also on Odonata and Carabus!) I am way behind. Silly behaviour (one should first finish something and then going ahead instead of caothically work with too many things altogether!)

The fact is that in museums, there are skins of SURE cirtensis, mostly juveniles, from southern breeding areas and/or from Tunisia, Lybia and Algeria (so NOT from Morocco only) collected in the '800 and early '900 exactly looking alike "Gibraltar Buzzard "... and that would prove extremely hard to be distinguished in the field from this kind of hybrids, leading to an over-exstimation of hybrids around North Africa and even Spain, Portugal or Sicily.

Also, during my numerous field trips to North Africa, I have seen cirtensis with this plumage (or if you like morph) in the southern areas of cirtensi breeding range ...therefore not only from North Morocco as the mentioned papers and handbook seems to imply.

Then, I think (or suppose) there is still much to discuss about...
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 19:16   #18
Valéry Schollaert
Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valéry Schollaert View Post
Hi all,

This is one more argument that cirtensis should be included in Buteo [buteo] superspecies, with relationship closer to buteo than rufinus...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=171497

Cheers

Valéry
I wrote that on BF 7 years ago... and much earlier elsewhere, including my own website. Good to read this article in 2019...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: