• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New (for me)Nikons (1 Viewer)

dries1

Well I have purchased two original HG DCF binos (8X32 and 10X32) very slightly used and I could not be happier with them. The color, contrast and clarity (to the edge of field of view) are great, and their weight is not a problem for me at all. I really wanted to get new smaller glasses for general viewing of nature not just birds (smaller than my german 8X50 Octarems), but the cost of new high end glass was out of the question for me. Buying a solid built bino is as important to me as optics quality, and the HGs being the first roof that Nikon really put time and money into, shows this.

I also purchased two EIIs 8X30 and am amazed at the wide view, they are a bit more bright than the hgs, but I guess it has to be the coatings in 2017 compared to 2001- 2003 when the HGS were made. The E IIs really remind me of the older Zeiss west german 8X30 with the wide view and shape, but with enhanced optics/coatings.

I am very impressed with the quality of these Nikon binoculars, knowing that their optics were always good, having owned a F3 SLR and a few Nikonos cameras. I guess I was a bit late to the view of newer optics, where the he..l was I.

So though the HGs are older than the new binos and I am missing 3% of incoming light, I have a bino that is field proven over 15 years. No question they are built tough unlike many built today. The EII is great for general all around viewing and is probably the best 8X30 porro I have looked through.

As a side note, buying used military porros which can be fixed is one thing; buying older roofs no longer made is another- but I take care of my glass. Both Hgs were purchased used therefore there is no warranty on them, but they are built very well and nikon (at cost) should be able to clean perhaps adjust the focus wheel, and Replace the rubber on the oculars if needed.

The eIIs were purchased through Amazon from Japan, (the warranty is entirely in Japanese) I would have to send them their for warranty. Hopefully I won't have to, they seem fairly well built.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day (a bit cloudy here in the Northeast)

Andy W.

I have a pair of Nikon Venturer LX 10X42, which I think is the same glass optically.

They are very good, solid glasses, and the only really significant, practical difference (optically) from my EL SV is that the Swarovskis see a bit better into dark areas which are surrounded by lighter areas.

Woo Hoo!
Post number 500

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back