Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 11:03   #51

Not been able to get out birding for the last few weeks, due to work and family commitments. However yesterday I had to go to Heysham, Lancashire for work, and finished what I had to do by early afternoon. Before heading back north I checked BirdGuides local sightings, which brought me a somewhat unexpected addition.

7th December, Heysham

181. red-billed chough*

Thanks are due to whoever put yesterday morning's report in for stating the location more specifically - my first ever visit to the town, I'd have had no idea where to go otherwise (and yes, I submitted the afternoon sighting too...). First I've seen for a number of years - South Stack cliffs on Anglesey I think was my last chough, although my love of skiing means I get to see a lot more of the Alpine variety.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 21:11   #52

Brief trip to Islay was planned as an attempt to get me over the 182 mark, after last years visit to Galloway dipped on both white-fronted goose and black guillemot.

16th December, Kennacraig, West Loch Tarbert

182. great northern diver*
183. black guillemot* beating my 1972 UK PB!

17th December, RSPB Loch Gruinart

184. barnacle goose
185. white-fronted goose*
186. hooded crow*
187. hen harrier
(plus a lot more red-billed choughs at Ardnave)

18th December, West Loch Tarbert

188. black-throated diver*
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 13:06   #53

Taking stock of an ultimately successful years birding, 188 might not impress many but it's the largest number of species I've seen in a single year in Britain.

I didn't think I'd make it at the start of the year due to work and other time constraints, and said I'd try for a 'two-year' total..well, I abandoned that in pursuit of a single year PB, but there were still ten species I saw in UK in 2016 but dipped in 2017:
smew; long-billed dowitcher; greenshank; great grey shrike; Pallas's warbler; spotted, pied and red-breasted flycatchers; whinchat; and tree pipit.

There were 18 species I saw back in 1972 that didn't feature on my 2017 list. They included corn bunting (seen early and frequently then), Bewick's swan, turtle dove and (breeding) red-backed shrike - a roll-call of decline. At the same time, my 1972 'lifers' included little egret, spoonbill and yellow-browed warbler - all significant rarities at the time, but a foretaste of things to come. My 2017 list included species which I wouldn't have dreamt of at the time - little egret and spoonbill of course, plus glossy ibis, great egret, purple heron; red kite in NE England; and ring-necked parakeet in London, although my 14-year old self would've been most impressed by the fact I saw two water rails in the course of 2017!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: