Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 16:37   #51
Mcnswiss2

Evening walk around La Gola
Birds seen included: Booted Eagle, Kestrel, Sardinian warblers, Blackcaps, Little Egrets, Common Sandpiper and some 30 chiffchaff. So many Chiffchaffs feeding from the trees..behaving as flycatchers.
Garden Warbler heard also..this seems very early. Any comments Mike?
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 17:19   #52
Mike Montier

Hi Patrick. That’s exceptional and what a photo. This winter has seen high numbers of Hawfinch, Siskin and Brambling. There has never been a better year for these species.
I’m very interested in the Bullfinch record as I saw one at Son Real some time ago. Do you know if there are any photos? Mine was a female. Mike
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 17:43   #53
Patrick_m

Hi Mike,
The Bullfinch sighting was posted on the Gola Albercutx group. It seems there may be photos. Nothing on the GOB Citau site or the GOB Forum yet.
I know there was a recent sighting in Menorca but did not realised you had seen one in Son Real. I need to keep my eyes open!

BTW on the GOB Forum, I just realised the details of the recent census have just been published by Maties.
http://www.gobmallorca.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 17:52   #54
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_m View Post
Hi Martin,
There is a not so conspicuous language option on the top left of the screen. Easily missed.
YES. Very easily missed!
Many thanks
Martin
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 18:54   #55
Mcnswiss2

Afternoon Visit to Son Real.
13.00 at Hide. Birds drinking on pool included Greenfinch, Blackcaps, Blackbirds, Chiffchaff. Waiting for Hawfinch when 7 turned up! Great views of great bird.
Other birds seen included Thekla Lark, Audouins Gulls, Kentish Plovers, Crossbills, Kestrels,Great tits etc
Best site in Mallorca

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Friday 19th January 2018 at 20:24.
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 14:42   #56
kevinh

Slender billed gull

Click image for larger version

Name:	majorca jan 18 053 (640x439).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	651804Click image for larger version

Name:	majorca jan 18 052 (640x436).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	651805Click image for larger version

Name:	majorca jan 18 055 (640x482).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	651806Click image for larger version

Name:	majorca jan 18 056 (640x437).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	651807

A few pics of the smart looking Slender billed gull seen in Pollenca bay last week.
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 19:04   #57
Mcnswiss2

Afternoon Visit to S'Amarador and the Depuradora
Several Marsh Harriers, Booted Eagles, Kestrels, and possible Sparrowhawks. Other birds seen included Hoopoe, Cetti Warblers and Moustached Warblers. Redcrested Pochards, Gadwalls, Purple Swamphens.

Question..why is the path at the end of the Sewage works to the Albufera now closed to public?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C72E89DB-4E35-4DD2-A76B-A61B21EB25A8.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	651844  

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Saturday 20th January 2018 at 20:49.
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 20:57   #58
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
Question..why is the path at the end of the Sewage works to the Albufera now closed to public?
Others may be able to answer better than me but I'm sute that it's been staff access only for a number of years. I believe too many people were abusing it (in particular cycling groups), plus you have to go through private property to get to the gate. There are probably other reasons.
ps I'm happy to be corrected.
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 15:42   #59
Mike Montier

Yes, too many people were going into the reserve by the back entrance and this means the staff cannot accurately count the number of visitors which is needed for the statistics and funding I believe. I haven’t used that way in for years now but I know some people still sneak in there. Cyclists used it a lot as Martin says. Mike
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 15:53   #60
Mike Montier

I don’t know what was going on at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was very special indeed. 400 Balearic shearwaters, a few Scopoli’s and then the Gannets started coming through. I am lucky if I see more than 5 in a day there normally, but in our short time there today, we logged 32, all flying west, all adults.
A while later two rare Razorbills flew east and I believe another seven were seen after we left. Apparently, the winds were very favourable.
Later at the salt pans we saw 1 Sanderling, 1 Temminck’s stint, c400 Golden plover flying over and good numbers of Dunlin.
I was lucky enough to be in the company of Krister, a Finnish birder and top man. I must say that being with a much more experienced birder than myself was a delight. I learnt so much. Just wish I could do it more often. He also gave me a copy of his book about birding in Lithuania where he now lives. Looks a good place to visit. Mike
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 15:55   #61
Mike Montier

Most of the local Birders went up north today to see the male Bullfinch. They were successful so I hope someone posts here with details and photos, Mike
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 15:59   #62
Mike Montier

Stunning photos of the Slender-billed Gull Kevin, lucky you, surely one of the best looking gulls around? Mike
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 17:09   #63
Mcnswiss2

[quote=Mike Montier;3668490]I don’t know what was going on at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was very special indeed. 400 Balearic shearwaters, a few Scopoli’s and then the Gannets started coming through.

Awesome. Well done Mike.

Weird weather indeed. Even at Sant Vincenc some 40 odd Balearic shearwater were seen. I have never seen them so close here. Maybe weather was bad at sea.

Other birds seen along the Fishermans walk at Sant V. Included Sardinian and balearic warblers(6), Booted eagles, Robins, Great tits, Crossbills, Corn Buntings, Red L.P., meadow pipits,stonechats, Raven.

Possible Dartford warbler seen however this seems very early?
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 09:41   #64
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Bullfinch in Orient

As Mike said, this week Toni Soler saw a bullfinch in a small "river wood" after crossing Orient.

It is an stunning and beautiful bird, very very rare in Majorca, only 2 o 3 observations confirmed, so we are all looking for him.

Saturday me and Daniel Hinckley saw it and got some pictures in a terrified light situation. Yesterday 4 birders more saw it, and some other didnt see it.

I upload the "horrible" picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M243_PinsaBorroner.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	652032  

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Monday 22nd January 2018 at 14:49.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 15:00   #65
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
It is an stunning and beautiful bird, very very rare in Majorca, only 2 o 3 observations confirmed, so we are all looking for him.
Hi Pep

A great bird to see anywhere, they've become very scarce near me..

I don't know when the first was seen but I came across an unconfirmed report from birdtours.co.uk (http://www.birdtours.co.uk/triprepor...april-2008.htm Magical Majorca April 29th-May 6th 2008, by Burbage birders & Ken Reeves.
13 birders from Burbage Bird Club in Leicestershire stayed in Puerto Pollensa
On Sunday 4th May 2008, at the far eastern end of S'Albufera there were Bee-eater's, Kestrel's and big numbers of Barn Swallow/ Common Swift flocks were feeding along the road to the little known entrance on the eastern end of the reserve [probably the closed gate near the Depuradora]. Walking to the viewing platform [I assume the one near Ses Puntes] "a pair of Bullfinches".

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Monday 22nd January 2018 at 15:04.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 16:12   #66
Mike Montier

I saw a female Bullfinch at Son Real on 8th January 2016. I didn’t submit the record as I didn’t get a photo and it was a single observer record. I thought that they were treated as escapes so I didn’t take it too seriously. Maybe there are a very few in Mallorca, who knows. Mike
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 16:59   #67
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
13 birders from Burbage Bird Club in Leicestershire stayed in Puerto Pollensa
On Sunday 4th May 2008, at the far eastern end of S'Albufera there were Bee-eater's, Kestrel's and big numbers of Barn Swallow/ Common Swift flocks were feeding along the road to the little known entrance on the eastern end of the reserve [probably the closed gate near the Depuradora]. Walking to the viewing platform [I assume the one near Ses Puntes] "a pair of Bullfinches".
Martin
Martin I guess a very important matter to discard scapes from captivity is the season and the place.

The little corner in Orient where the bullbinch is right now, is kind of a portion of Galicia or Asturias in Majorca, maybe one of the few places who looks like a valley in Pirinees.

The pine trees woods near s'Albufera and the May 4th are not the best place and the best month to think it is a natural arrived bird.

But as people says "birds fly" and almost every thing is possible. Who knows...

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Monday 22nd January 2018 at 17:34.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 17:25   #68
Mike Montier

I have had a request from a reader who is coming to Mallorca in the last week of May. He wants to stay in an hotel near the beach in Pollensa and therefore near good birding. If anyone has any recommendations perhaps they could post here and I will pass it on to John. He says he wants a “nice” hotel so I assume not on a tight budget! Thanks, Mike
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 18:34   #69
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I have had a request from a reader who is coming to Mallorca in the last week of May. He wants to stay in an hotel near the beach in Pollensa and therefore near good birding. If anyone has any recommendations perhaps they could post here and I will pass it on to John. He says he wants a “nice” hotel so I assume not on a tight budget! Thanks, Mike
The best advise is to tell him to use Booking.com and Trip Advisor as it depends if he wants hotel or apartment etc.and price he wants to pay. Maybe he can get a deal for bed breakfast and evening meal etc. Albufereta and Bocquer Valley are so close and can use the bus if he has no car.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 18:44   #70
Mcnswiss2

Had a great afternoon at Orient in search of the Bullfinch.
Thanks to Pep and the other birders for the relevent information.
The site is special..great habitats..farmland, mountains, forests and bushes.
Birds seen included Red Kites, Booted Eagles, Ravens, Song Thrushes, Fieldfares, Great tits, Blue tits, chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, Cetti and sardinian warblers, serins, Crossbills...and 4 Hawfinches.

Did I mention the Bullfinch..sigh..seen by Mika again! Only for a few seconds..Grr....
It was fun to twitch again but it was wonderful to find such a great valley and area around Orient.

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Monday 22nd January 2018 at 21:15.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 19:25   #71
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
The best advise is to tell him to use Booking.com and Trip Advisor as it depends if he wants hotel or apartment etc.and price he wants to pay. Maybe he can get a deal for bed breakfast and evening meal etc. Albufereta and Bocquer Valley are so close and can use the bus if he has no car.
Would agree with this 100%
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 19:48   #72
Mike Montier

Thanks all for your advice. I will pass it onto John.
Looks like a trip to Orient beckons. Sounds a wonderful place and I doubt many people have ever been birding there. It just confirms what I have always thought, this Island is full of surprises and we are still making new discoveries all the time. There are many hidden places which as Pep suggests, have their own ecosystem which may contain some different birds, moths and other insects. Exciting stuff for pioneers who fancy trekking in the little known corners of Mallorca. Mike
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 20:32   #73
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Orient

Orient is one of the most special valleys of Majorca, and the only one who runs in paralel to the range, 2 kms after the little village there is a public path (by foot) direct to santa Maria, in the map it is yellow color and it begins just in the word "Vall", west of Orient, and the first km is very special for wintering birds, just a paradise.

As you can see, in the Majorca Birding Map, we located Orient as the "birding point 64", and the possibility to watch the wintering finches, obviusly not the bullfinch because it was very, very rare and not confirmed yet.

I include 2 pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orient1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	652067  Click image for larger version

Name:	Orient2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	652068  
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 23:16   #74
Derek Polley

I stayed in the Puerto Azul, in an East facing room you can scope Bocquer from your balcony and its 5 minutes walk from the beach.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 23:20   #75
Mike Montier

Thanks Derek, I will pass it on. Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: