• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

On the Puffin trail - Part2
Wonderful morning at the Salt works at Ses Salines.The weather was perfect and the area was very quiet.
Birds seen included Flamingos, BW Stilts, Kentish Plovers, Common and Green Sandpipers, Dunlins, Little Stints. Great Egrets, Shellducks galore, Spotted Redshank, Curlews, Kestrels and Marsh Harriers. Water Rail heard. A flock of some 300 Goldern Plovers flew overhead.But the best bird of the day was the Avocet. Some 50 birds looking in wonderful condition.

Now to focus - Cap de Ses Salines.

Balearic Shearwater, cormorant, Shearwater, gull, Shearwater, Auduoins gull, cormorant, gannet ( total of 5 seen), Sandwich tern, Shearwater.etc etc.(Over 250 Shearwaters flew past. Several large floatillas seen in 1.5 hours)
Other birds seen included Blue Rock Thrush on the Lighthouse and several Thekla larks. The big spot......wait for it.....Great Skua!

As for the Puffin..the search is still on..Come back Mike..all forgiven!

Hi Swiss Mike,
I saw the same 250 flock of Balearic shearwaters as I had scared them from their roosting rock of Isla Corberana off Colonia Sant Jordi around 1100. I have a couple of birds I need identifying from today, sorry but I am a novice so please bare with me, photos attached:

No se 3 and No se 4 are the same bird.

I didn´t go far enough off for the Puffin today so no luck with that I´m afraid but there was a large amount of strange deep sea jelly fish coming in on the current through the Cabrera passage as there was last week when the Puffin was sighted, I wonder if there is a connection?
If anyone could recommend a good book for helping me to identify future birds so I don´t have to keep annoying you fellas it would be much appreciated?

Attachments

• No se (2).JPG
    No se (2).JPG
    191 KB · Views: 77
  • No se 3 (3).JPG
    No se 3 (3).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 66
  • No se 3 (4).JPG
    No se 3 (4).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 62
Hi John
Thanks for info
Collins Guide is for me the best. Available from Amazon etc.
I also use google images to follow up.
The birds look like Kentish Plovers and Kestrel.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 551455CF-CABD-4EA0-B89D-F2821CD7EC03.jpeg
    551455CF-CABD-4EA0-B89D-F2821CD7EC03.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
Agree on everything. Collins far and away the best guide.
Also agree Kentish plovers and Kestrel.
Please don’t worry about putting photos on here, many people enjoy seeing and identifying them..plus, you never know!
Mike

I would recommend the Collins Guide as an app too. I have it on both my phone and tablet and could not do without them. You can create your own list, it allows side-by-side comparisons and comes with songs and calls as well, for most birds.

On the Puffin Trail - Epilogue

Hi Swiss Mike,
I saw the same 250 flock of Balearic shearwaters as I had scared them from their roosting rock of Isla Corberana off Colonia Sant Jordi around 1100.

John gave me a great idea for the last morning down South. I will extend the Puffin Search to include spotting John..I think I will have a better chance.
However after calling out Juan to all passerbyes I decided to look for birds instead on the Islands around Sant Jordi, namely Isla Llarga, Illot des cabots and Isla Corberana.

In I hour some 200 Balearic Shearwaters and Cormorants passed through in the background.
Highlights were Little Egrets fighting for possession of the rocks, Audouin Gulls enjoying the sunshine and over 200 Goldern Plovers perfectly content on the islands. A real pleasure to watch their behehavior from a safe distance

Time to return to the North but Sant Jordi area, the Salinas and Caps PortColom and Cap Salinas are such wonderful memories (I leave the Puffin to Mike).

Scops owls call even in winter. Near Mondrago they call on cold clear nights. I have been hearing them occasionally since Christmas. Seeing them is another matter although they do sometimes hunt around the street lamps later in the night. We also have a resident Barn owl that floats past our bedroom window from around midnight. Long-eared owls are not difficult near Mondrago either, they are plentiful and can be seen at dusk emerging from the nearby woods. Mike

Aus (Birds) of Mallorca

I'm happy to announce to the group that this week we (Maties, Sebastià, Maricarmen and me) have published a new interesting book about the birds of Mallorca.

The book, for now, is only in Catalan and Spanish, but we are already working on the translation into English and German, and we hope to have it soon.

I think we have edited a good book with the 200 most interesting birds in Mallorca (they will be different from the local version, with interesting birds for locals and the English version with interesting birds for visitors).

Of each bird there is a description (of the bird and habitat), as well as a map with the best areas to observe it, and 4 colors zones: resident, migrant, summer and wintering, and 2 tones according to it will be abundant or scarce in the zone.

I Attached a couple of photos of a couple of species and the cover and I hope to have the version in English / German soon.

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Just returned from the Reception area at S’Albufera and saw the book.
Excellent quality and the information and descriptions are first class.
I hope the English Version will follow.
Congratulations to Pep, Maties and all the authors.
Its a must have book for Birders.

Congratulations to all the authors, I know it is an excellent book and it looks terrific.
I will buy the Spanish version but I will also need one eventually in English. I’m sure most readers of this thread will wait for the English version.
It’s exactly the kind of publication we have been waiting for, where and when to find birds in Mallorca.
Mike

Thunderstorms on the Island. Managed a visit to S’Albufera between the showers.
A new hide is being built near the reception area/ Sa Roca hide. Should be great when finished but as a result of the construction very few birds seen from Sa Roca. Probably avoid for next week or so.

Water levels quite low and this downpour will help.

Birds seen included BW Stilt, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Purple Swamphen, Kentish Plovers, Marsh Harriers, Little and Great Egrets and the usual warblers and Chiffchaffs. Best of the day were excellent views of Snipe and Redwing(only 1 seen by the Pont de sa Roca)

Attachments

• 7E0E9E83-CBE4-4B49-A2A8-E80D987F8470.jpg
    7E0E9E83-CBE4-4B49-A2A8-E80D987F8470.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 65
Yes. Where the stone curlews normally roost. Hopefully we should get close of views in the future.

Interesting to note that GOB (Grup Balear d’Ornitologia) have alerted the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention on the ecological crisis of S'Albufera, shortage of water, pollution etc.

30 years ago the natural park of S'Albufera de Mallorca was declared as the first protected natural area of the Balearic Islands

Lets hope in the 30th year celebration of the recognition of the park as a protected area that something is done to protect this valuable habitat for our birds.

https://www.gobmallorca.com/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back