• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Further reports from yesterday via Paul Rhodes, Craig Reed and Roy Porter:

MOORS POOL
2 Wigeon, Whooper Swan, 4 Mute Swan, 4 Shelduck, 10 Curlew, 10 Gadwall, 19 Pochard, 5 Redpoll, Mistle Thrush, 2 Siskin, Coal Tit

SAILING POOL
10 GC Grebe, Little Egret, Raven, Cetti's Warbler calling from Hen Brook

FLASHES
No Barn Owl (last reported on the 5th), 1 Oystercatcher, 628 Lapwing, 3 Redpoll, Raven.

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

2 Green Sandpiper, Oystercatcher, 10 Curlew, 660 Lapwing, Shelduck, Skylark, Coal Tit, 300 BH Gull.

Also Little Egret on the Sailing Pool.

From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

Whooper Swan, Redshank, 2 Oystercatcher, 10 Curlew, Snipe, 5 Shelduck, 10 Gadwall, 22 Pochard, 2 Little Grebe, Nuthatch

Tuesday Work PartyTuesday at MOORS

This coming Tuesday 13th Feb we will be back at the Moors.
The work will include:-
Erecting screen fencing around the North Moors hide
Planting juncus in the shallows in front of the new hide. This is to provide cover for snipe and water.
Plant Hawthorns along West side of North Moors adjacent to new dead hedge.
Install house Martin box on side of West hide.
Other small tasks are also scheduled.
Meet at Moors car park 8.45ish
:t:john

Further reports from yesterday via Paul Rhodes, Craig Reed and Roy Porter:

MOORS POOL
2 Wigeon, Whooper Swan, 4 Mute Swan, 4 Shelduck, 10 Curlew, 10 Gadwall, 19 Pochard, 5 Redpoll, Mistle Thrush, 2 Siskin, Coal Tit

SAILING POOL
10 GC Grebe, Little Egret, Raven, Cetti's Warbler calling from Hen Brook

FLASHES
No Barn Owl (last reported on the 5th), 1 Oystercatcher, 628 Lapwing, 3 Redpoll, Raven.

Barn Owl seen on 6th At FLASHES per Mark Islipp

It's that time of year now where we start to anticipate the return of Avocet to the Flashes. Whilst we have past the earliest date (10th February in 2016), the overall average arrival date continues to march forwards:

2003-2005 - 15th March
2006-2008 - 10th March
2009-2011 - 2nd March
2012-2014 - 18th February
2015-2017 - 15th February

Last edited:
From the Flashes this afternoon Mike W reports:

2 Shelduck, Oystercatcher, 16 Teal; 1 Green Sand, 500 Lapwing and 400 BH Gull in the roost. Also 3 Little Egret (1 on the Sailing Pool and 2 in the Hen Pool area).

8 Great Crested Grebe on the Sailing Pool.

Andy P and Phil W report from the reserve this morning:

FLASHES
1 Oystercatcher, 10 Curlew

MOORS POOL
Completely frozen. Whooper Swan still plus Oystercatcher 2, Curlew 3, Shelduck 5, Shoveler 26, Pochard 19, Gadwall 10, Teal 12, Tufted Duck 16, Little Grebe 2, GC Grebe, BH Gull 150, Herring Gull.

Andy P and Phil W report from the reserve this morning:

FLASHES
1 Oystercatcher, 10 Curlew

MOORS POOL
Completely frozen. Whooper Swan still plus Oystercatcher 2, Curlew 3, Shelduck 5, Shoveler 26, Pochard 19, Gadwall 10, Teal 12, Tufted Duck 16, Little Grebe 2, GC Grebe, BH Gull 150, Herring Gull.

PHIL. I think the Moors was 75% frozen :t:

Barn owl at the Flashes on Monday 12th February

Barn Owl again at the Flashes this evening from 5:24pm as per Janette.

Thanks to Phil for picking up on my tweet last night.

Having observed the barn owl last Monday at the earlier time of around 4.40pm, I decided to try my luck around the same time yesterday. Sunset was by now of course a little later than last week, at around 17.15. Weather conditions seemed favourable as it was dry and still with few clouds and above freezing.

I observed lapwings in the hundreds, still outnumbering the black headed gulls. On a couple of occasions the masses were spooked and took to the air, but I couldn’t tell what had caused the disturbances. I observed an oystercatcher, two mute swans and shelduck.

By 17.21, the light was fading. A small flock of teal landed on the water for the roost and a wren appeared just under the Hide window at the right hand side.

Then, at 17.24 a white figure emerged from the gloom near the old farm buildings to the right of the Hide before landing on one of the fence posts a few posts beyond the weather vane. Wow, the barn owl had returned - a big and beautiful bird. It remained there for just under ten minutes before silently taking to the air and flying in the direction of the sewage works and disappearing.

Earlier in the afternoon, around 3pm, I visited the new Hide at the Moors where highlights were a heron, gadwall and shelduck. The pool was partially frozen and I watched a coot walking on the ice before falling through it! Visitors to the feeders there included a male bullfinch.

On the approach to the East Hide I saw a possible peregrine overhead and some long tailed tits.

From the East Hide, I saw the whooper swan, 2 mute swan, 9 curlew, an oystercatcher, pochard,shoveller, little grebe and great crested grebe. A couple of the black headed gulls were already sporting what looked like full Summery black heads; ominously one was on a tern raft.

It had been an enjoyable afternoon at Upton Warren and the best was still to come as I headed to the Flashes.....

Today's work party at Moors

Even in the horrendous conditions we had a great turn out 21!!!
Andy A. Alan D. Bob O . Bobby P. Charles and his Granddaughter Saichun. Ian Jos. Jim B. John new. Julie W. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M . Ray C. Roger S. Steve S . Steve T. Sue T. Stuart. Tony B and me.

Unfortunately the screening fence panels didn't arrive until after we had finished.
But we did manage to complete a few other tasks.
What I thought would be a pretty straightforward job of cleaning out some branches from the west ditch ended up being a mini project. We ended upremoving a large amount of hidden trunks from the reeds. We then coppiced several old blackthorn in the hedge which were about to collapse. The brash was piled up along the west track border fence - creating an habitat pile. The reeds were then cut and raked these were then yes as mulch around the recently planted scrub saplings close by.

Along the salwarp track we planted more Hawthorn saplings and pruned the 4/5 year old saplings in the same area. The cuttings were piled into the nearby bramble to thicken it up.

Juncus clumps were planted in front of the new hide. This will provide cover for snipe and water rail in the near future.

Julie cleared all the hides and reports not too much in the way of coffee cups and cans but could people keep tissues in their pockets.
Great effort by everyone and shows the commitment that you all have and to think I was going to cancel it last night. Perhaps I am the whimp8-P
:t:john
pics all along West track at Moors
1. Saplings along west track mulched with todays reed cutting
2. The border hedge along west track
3. the west ditch, was last dredged in 2015. Cleared out today

Attachments

• Moors west track saplings 3yrs old  DSCF0976.jpg
    Moors west track saplings 3yrs old DSCF0976.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 49
  • west track border hedge DSCF0994.jpg
    west track border hedge DSCF0994.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 44
  • moors west ditch DSCF0996.jpg
    moors west ditch DSCF0996.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Birding at the reserve today

FLASHES:
Whooper swan. Mute swan. Cormorant 13. Greylag. Shoveler 29. Teal 15. Gadwall 9. Shelduck 2. Pochard 22. Tufted 12. Coot 30. Water rail. Snipe 8. Curlew 8. Oystercatcher 3. BHG 220. Herring gull pr. Stock dove 2. Green woodpecker. Jay. Song thrush 2. Goldfinch 12. Greenfinch. Pied wag 2. Reed Bunting 6.

NORTH MOORS:
Mute swan pr. Shelduck. Shoveler pr. Teal 3. Coot 2. Moorhen 6. Water rail. Treecreeper. Bullfinch 4. Chaffinch 2.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 7 . LITTLE EGRET 3 roosted in NW of sailing pool. Tufted 24. Coot 60.

FLASHES:
Mute swan pr. Teal 20. Shelduck 4.
Lapwing 650. Oystercatcher 2. Curlew 10. Green sand 3. Snipe.
BHG 300 roosted.
BARN OWL from 5.51pm caught a vole and carried it behind the hide. Kestrel. Buzzard. Raven pr carrying nest material to its nest. Stock dove 15. Redwing c20. Starling 3. Pied wag 3. Reed Bunting 5.
I was told that there were large numbers of winter thrushes early afternoon in the old orchard East of reserve.

Spent a couple of hours at flashes after the workparty (11:45-14:30)...cold and raining most of the time

3 snipe
65 teal
10 curlew in north field
3 shelduck
1 oystercatcher
1 Kestrel
Most of lapwing were in transmitter field

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Whooper Swan------------------Shelduck (6)*
Shoveler (31)----------------------Pochard (25)
Gadwall (7)------------------------Teal (13)
Tufted Duck (21)------------------Mute Swan (4)
Snipe (4)--------------------------Little Grebe (2)
Water Rail (2)---------------------Cormorant (14)
Sparrowhawk----------------------Herring Gull (2)
L B B Gull (2)----------------------Golden Pheasant (f) along east track to hide.
Little Egret (1)---------------------Mistle Thrush
B H Gull (c160)--------------------L T Tit (c20) at west hide feeding station.
Oystercatcher (1)

FLASHES: Morning only. 95% frozen.
Curlew (10)------------------------Lapwing (c100) in transmitter field.
Shelduck (2)*----------------------Mute Swan (2) on third flash.
Buzzard (2) harrying corvids------Oystercatcher (1)
B H Gull (c30)----------------------Treecreeper along path near Hen Pool.
Raven(1) on usual nest site.-------Moorhen (15)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (7)----------------------Tufted Duck (17)

* Shelduck total of eight across the reserve corroborated with AJP.

Des.

Just over half way through February and the monthly list has crawled to a pathetic 71 species. Amongst the possible list of additions for the remaining 13 days of the month are:

Barnacle Goose, Pintail, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Red Kite, Peregrine, Merlin, Avocet, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Med Gull, Common Gull, GBB Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Stonechat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Rook, House Sparrow, Linnet, Yellowhammer

The average February total over the last 5 years has been 86.2 species with a high of 92 in 2016 and a low of 83 in both 2014 and 2015.

Last edited:
Just over half way through February and the monthly list has crawled to a pathetic 71 species. Amongst the possible list of additions for the remaining 13 days of the month are:

Barnacle Goose, Pintail, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Red Kite, Peregrine, Merlin, Avocet, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Med Gull, Common Gull, GBB Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Stonechat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Rook, House Sparrow, Linnet, Yellowhammer

The average February total over the last 5 years has been 86.2 species with a high of 92 in 2016 and a low of 83 in both 2014 and 2015.

my thoughts that this winter has been very disappointing
ring true from your species totals. Although the winter locally has not been too bad, it depends on the conditions elsewhere for birds to appear. A few days of ideal winter movement conditions brought nothing. Hopefully there will be some early wader movement pretty soon to get us out of the doldrums. Don't give up that's what Upton does. The good days will return and don't forget we are in the middle of the country.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back