• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorcan moths (1 Viewer)

blackcountry mon

Can anyone please I/D any or all of these moths that I saw in Mallorca last week? Any help will be appreciated
Terry

Attachments

• 338.JPG
    338.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 381.JPG
    381.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 335.JPG
    335.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 386.JPG
    386.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 43
I'd hazard a guess of Antigastra catalaunalis for no3 but hopefully Martin (honeym) will be along in a minute. He traps regularly on Mallorca.

David

I don't know what just happened but my reply just disappeared!

As Dave has said, I trap regularly on Mallorca and have been involved for some years with a biodiversity monitoring project in s'Albufera. I also trap less frequently on all the other islands (including Sa Dragonera and Cabrera).

Your moths are:

#1 as Andy has said - Chiasmia aestimaria (the Tamarix Peacock when it reached the UK).
#2 Sclerocona acutellus.
#3 as Dave said, Antigastra catalaunalis.
#4 Thysanoplusia daubei.

I maintain a list of all Balearic Island records so I would be grateful if I could also include yours. If that's OK with you I would need the locality, date and your name.

Were these all the moths you saw?

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Martin
Many thanks for the information. Numbers 1,2 and 4 were on the stairwell wall of the Lagotel Hotel, Playa de Muro adjacent to s'Albufera. 1 and 2 were seen on September 13th and 4 was seen on the 14th. Number 3 was in a rough area between the Circuit de Llac road and the lake by the Lagotel Hotel on September 12th also seen at the same time and in the same area area was a Oncocera semirubella.
Other moths seen were a Dark Sword-grass which was on the wall of our apartment in the Lagotel on September 7th, a Crimson Speckled which was on an area of rough ground between the Circuit de Llac and s'Albufera on September 11th and 4 Humming-bird Hawk Moths were in the gardens of the Lagotel on the same date.
On September 12th there were 3 Humming-bird Hawk Moths in the Lagotel gardens and 5 in the same area on the 13th. On September 14th there were two Vestals in the rough area between the Circuir de LLac and the Lagotel lake and on the same date a walk from the English Bridge near the entrance to s'Albufera along the canal bank to the sea gave me 5 Vestals and a single Palpita vitrealis.
Hope that these help with your records and you can obviously use them
Terry Evans

Thanks Terry.
I had a feeling that #2 would be somewhere near s'Albufera, or at least reedbeds, as it's a reed feeder. Until today, I hadn't realised that it has become established on the Isle ofWight.
Martin

Hi Martin
Any chance of identifying these two?
Terry

Attachments

• IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 26
Many thanks Martin, the Antigastra catalaunalis was in the gardens of the Lagotel on September 11th and the Spodoptera cilium was on the entrance floor of the Lagotel on September 13th.
Terry

Hello!
Martin, can you help me with this one?
Was seen this spring next to la Gola.
Many thanks!
Cristina.

Attachments

• 20180530_135936.jpg
    20180530_135936.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 52
Hello!
Martin, can you help me with this one?
Was seen this spring next to la Gola.
Many thanks!
Cristina.

Hi Cristina

This is Eutelia adulatrix. It has a rather unusual resting posture and quite amazing colour pattern. It is the only European representative of what is otherwise a fairly worldwide, mainly tropical genus. The larva feeds mainly on Pistacia species (Anacardiaceae).
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Hello!
Yesterday an Agrius convolvuli appeared at the Bird Centre :)

Cristina.

Attachments

• 20181030_130625.jpg
    20181030_130625.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20181030_123306.jpg
    20181030_123306.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 30
Hi Cristina
A nice addition to the fauna of La Gola. I've seen several photos of pupating larvae recently, so this must be avoid time for them.
Best wishes
Martin

Moths in la Gola

Hello,
this June a visitor showed me 2 moths seen in the park and surroundings.
I attach the pic in case anybody can identify them.
Thank you!!
Cristina.

Attachments

• 20190621_101238.jpg
    20190621_101238.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190624_093648.jpg
    20190624_093648.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi Christina
As Andy has said, the first is [in the UK] a Figure of Eighty - from the marks in the central band of the forewing. It's scientific name is Tethea ocularis (Linnaeus, 1767). The second is Idaea ochrata (Scopoli, 1763). I have few records of the first species, and only from Mallorca. The second is reasonably common in the Balearics and can often be seen by day.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Christina
As Andy has said, the first is [in the UK] a Figure of Eighty - from the marks in the central band of the forewing. It's scientific name is Tethea ocularis (Linnaeus, 1767). The second is Idaea ochrata (Scopoli, 1763). I have few records of the first species, and only from Mallorca. The second is reasonably common in the Balearics and can often be seen by day.
Best wishes
Martin

Thank you very much Andy and Martin!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back