• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (46 Viewers)

From the Flashes Dave J reports:

Jack Snipe, Green Sandpiper, 13 Curlew, 3 Snipe, Little Owl on the old barn again, 2 Swallow, Fieldfare, 40+ Redwing (first records for both winter thrushes this autumn), 6 Siskin, 6 Skylark, 23 Meadow Pipit, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, 2 Teal.

2+ Little Egret roosted on Sailing Pool.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

4 Little Egrets, 4 Pochard, 5 Gadwall, Nuthatch, 3 Coal Tit, Snipe, 2 Skylark, 2 Meadow Pipit

A few images from this morning's visit.

Attachments

• 07Oct-9937.jpg
    07Oct-9937.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 07Oct-9917.jpg
    07Oct-9917.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • 07Oct-9946.jpg
    07Oct-9946.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • 07Oct-9950.jpg
    07Oct-9950.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 07Oct-9969.jpg
    07Oct-9969.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
From the Flashes yesterday Andy P, Gert and Tim reported:

251 Lapwing, 13 Curlew, Jack Snipe, 2 Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, Dunlin, 3 Shoveler, 3 Teal, c150 BH Gull, c50 Redwing, 9 Mipit, 2 Raven, Grey Wagtail

Today

Cracking sunrise this morning over the Flashes, only negative was the continuing lack of water. Snipe, Curlew, Mippet, Goldfinches on the teasel, Grey and Pied Wags. JTB heard the Little Owl, tit flocks along the hedgerow, a few Skylarks passing, Linnets and the usual Gulls.:t::t:

Attachments

• uw1.jpg
    uw1.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 45
Work party today at Flashes

Today 16 of us set about a good few tasks.
We certainly made a massive impression on the islands. All the shingle islands both large and small were cleared of rank vegetation that had covered all of them.
In the dry central area we also replenished 6 of the islets
shingle.
The grass in front and either side of the Avocet hide was brush cut...we cut rides through the 'juncus' patches which will give cover to snipe and lapwings which will use the area once it gets wetter.
The stock fence adjacent to the transmitter field had been damaged by the neighbouring cattle ..Today strengthening posts and rails were installed.
The cuckoo hide seat was repaired and modified.
The hen pool bridge was made safe after the anti slip mesh had become detached. It was stapled back into position.
Thanks to Andy A. Alan D. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Graham L. Jackie W. Jim B. John C. Paul M. Peter E. Roger S. Tony B. Brian a newbie and me.
I think we can all agree today we certainly surpassed all expectations.
To see the photo's on my Twitter site.
I will try and post some tomorrow:t: john

Birding today

I spent 12 & half hours on the reserve today.
Migration was only evident early morning with small numbers of mipit, skylark and song thrush.
The water is certainly going to take some time to get back to where it should be. So I'm not expecting any unusual waders plus it's getting a bit late now.
The little owl called in the vicinity if the barn but I never managed to see it.
Species count Flashes:
Teal 6. Shoveler 2. Greylag overhead.
Curlew 13. Green sand 2. Lapwing 244, snipe 3.
The overnight gull roost in 1st Flash only numbered 150 BHG and 30 Large gulls.
Water rail. Little Owl. Stock dove 60+. Green woodp. Kingfisher.
Raven . rook. Jay.
Skylark 5. Song thrush. Meadow pipit 10+ . pied wag 2. Grey wag. Cetti's w. Starling 40+.
Linnet 3. Greenfinch 2. Goldfinch 40. Chaffinch 1.

Moors: The road repaired finished their preparatory work early so access was gained after 1pm.
I spent the late afternoon until 7pm in the west hide .
There was plenty of action and certainly more birds here thsn at the Flashes. Water rails were especially vocal and October his historically when we get an influx of migrants. Whether we still receive these birds is open to conjecture, but in the olden days we didn't have as many residents as we have now. Passerines were not too plentiful although it was good to hear several Cetti's and one for Bob O there is at least 1 coal Tit on the feeders in Jacobs hide.
Species count Moors:
GCG. Little grebe 8. Little egret 2. Mute swan 9. Cormorant 10. Grey heron 4. Shoveler 10. Teal 30+. Gadwall 3. Pochard 5. Tufted 40.
Coot 220+. Water rail at least 5 calling from West side.
Snipe 9. Lapwing 22. Green sand 2.
BHG 450. Herring gull 45. LBBG 60.
Kingfisher 2. Green woodp. Stock dove 2.
Cetti's 2 or 3. Goldcrest. Coal tit.
Chaffinch 1. Reed Bunting 2.

PLEASE NOTE THE MOORS CAR PARK WILL BE OUT OF BOUNDS TOMORROW WEDNESDAY 10TH OCTOBER.
THE ROAD IS BEING RESURFACED FROM THE A38 TO THE BARN CONVERSIONS. ACCESS TO WEST HIDES ALONG SALWARP TRACK FROM IN FRONT OF SWAN INN.

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports little change:

12 Curlew, 152 Lapwing, Snipe, 9 Teal, 2 Shoveler, 20 Meadow Pipit, 2 Fieldfare, Redwing, Peregrine.

From the Flashes today Phil W and Tim report:

c700 BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, 61 Lapwing, 4 Common Snipe, 12 Curlew, Green Sandpiper, Teal, Peregrine, Heron, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Cetti's Warbler calling around boardwalk.

Last edited:
Tweaking at FLASHES

Work on the dried out channels at the FLASHES will be done on Monday 15th and TUESDAY 16th OCTOBER.
More details when I know more
John:t:

Last edited:
From the Flashes JTB reports:

Teal 13, Water Rail, Snipe 13, Curlew 13, Lapwing 150, Green Sandpiper 2, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail.
Gull roost of only BH Gull 19 and LBB Gull 91!!

Last edited:
A 6.30 start till 1pm heavy persistant rain strong southerly

From the Flashes JTB reports:

Teal 13, Water Rail, Snipe 13, Curlew 13, Lapwing 150, Green Sandpiper 2, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail.
Gull roost of only BH Gull 19 and LBB Gull 91!!

Also Cetti's warbler singing.

MOORS:
Little grebe 6. Little egret 3.
Teal 35. Shoveler 15. Gadwall 3. Wigeon fem was the only migrant. Tufted 25. Pochard 4.
Mute swan 7. Cormorant 4. Coot 200.
Snipe 5. Lapwing 120+. Curlew.
BHG 450. Herring gull 45. LBBG 75.
Kingfisher.
Skylark 4 over south. And my first redwing of the autumn..called overhead

Last edited:
Yes mate
@Aquatic Solutions who did the work last year and Amy's Marsh.
Scraping out this years silt and creating more promontories in delta and channels close to main hide.

Eleanor (WWT) Confirms work will go ahead on Monday And Tuesday 15th and 16th OCTOBER at the FLASHES.
The channels in front and to the sides of the main Avocet hide .
This is to ensure that Avocet chick rearing zones are viable come next spring.
At present the water level is 0.23. If anyone who is visiting the FLASHES over the weekend could make a note of the level.on the marker and post on here or text me that would be very much appreciated.
If the FLASHES flood we will need to open the sluice .
:t:john

From the reserve today Andy P, Mike W, Simon James and Carl Jones report:

FLASHES
183 Lapwing, 13 Snipe, 12 Curlew, 18 Teal, 7 Meadow Pipit, 3 Grey Heron, Linnets, Green Sandpiper

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret, 4 Snipe, 42 Lapwing, 3 Gadwall, 13+Shoveler, 19 Teal, 9 Mute Swan, 174 Coot, 3 Pochard, 28 Tufted Duck, 12 Cormorant, 30+ large gulls split 60/40 LBB/Herring
A third Little Egret on the North Moors plus 2 Teal and Water Rail

Last edited:
From the reserve today Andy P, Mike W, Simon James and Carl Jones report:

FLASHES
183 Lapwing, 13 Snipe, 12 Curlew, 18 Teal, 7 Meadow Pipit, 3 Grey Heron, Linnets, Green Sandpiper

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret, 4 Snipe, 42 Lapwing, 3 Gadwall, 13+Shoveler, 19 Teal, 9 Mute Swan, 174 Coot, 3 Pochard, 28 Tufted Duck, 12 Cormorant, 30+ large gulls split 60/40 LBB/Herring
A third Little Egret on the North Moors plus 2 Teal and Water Rail
Plus female Wigeon still on reserve at the flashes this afternoon Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back