• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

A red-breasted Merganser in Salobrar this morning.
Also a Bluethroat, Osprey, about 26 Cranes but over 50 were seen later in the day, 200 Flamingoes, lots of more usual waders, including 2 golden plovers.
Tens of thousands of starlings.

Attachments

• _D_A4619.jpg
    _D_A4619.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 46
Another visit to Sa barrala today produced a Woodchat shrike. Two days ago there was a male Lesser Kestrel there. All a bit strange but I have some rubbish photos to confirm.
Lots of Cranes in the area still.
Mike

Well out of focus but recognizable. I can’t find any other November records but there may have been. Mike

Attachments

• EAB8BEAF-66BE-4A1E-9898-55191A662015.jpeg
    EAB8BEAF-66BE-4A1E-9898-55191A662015.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 69
Pep saw an adult male Hen Harrier today at Albufera, I hope he posts a photo of what I believe is one of the most attractive raptors in the world. They are a magnificent sight and very scarce here in winter.
He also saw an Oystercatcher yesterday at a Colonia Sant Jordi.
Mike

Pep saw an adult male Hen Harrier today at Albufera, I hope he posts a photo of what I believe is one of the most attractive raptors in the world. They are a magnificent sight and very scarce here in winter.
He also saw an Oystercatcher yesterday at a Colonia Sant Jordi.
Mike

Hi,
Yes, but the pictures aren't very good, because the Hen harrier was very far away, anyway i attack the pics, with one very special for me, with Albercutx tower on the background, because the tower is the symbol of our birdwatching group: GORA.
The Oystercatcher was in Colonia Sant Jordi, just besides the street (You can see the gate of entrance from the street) on the salt pains area, with 2 cats!! very close to him (he was a young)

Attachments

• 123Cyaneus.jpg
    123Cyaneus.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 123CyaneusAlbercutx.jpg
    123CyaneusAlbercutx.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 204 GarsaMar.jpg
    204 GarsaMar.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 11GarsaMoix.jpg
    11GarsaMoix.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
A very windy walk down to the salt pans this morning. About 250 Greater Flamingoes, several hundred Lapwings, a few Marsh harriers but most other birds were sheltering from the weather. Mike

I have just read that there are over 2,400 species of mantis so I guess it may be difficult to identify this one but it’s certainly the largest one I have ever seen. Mike

Attachments

• 2C2F99D3-B992-415E-9DB6-B965BB78870E.jpg
    2C2F99D3-B992-415E-9DB6-B965BB78870E.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 48
Spent most of the morning today in the north of the island, visiting Maristany Marsh, Can Cuarassa and Albufereta. Highlights included a female Ferruginous Duck, one Black-necked Grebe, a Kingfisher and a flyover Green Sandpiper at Maristany, three good sightings of Ospreys feeding (probably involved 2 birds) and 2 Pintail, 6 Wigeon, about 150 Shoveler and 40 Lapwings at Albufereta.

Maties logged some great birds today at Salobrar de Campos including: 2 Bluethroat, 3 Red-breasted merganser, 18 Common Crane, 2 Spoonbill and a Red-throated pipit. Mike

I have just read that there are over 2,400 species of mantis so I guess it may be difficult to identify this one but it’s certainly the largest one I have ever seen. Mike

Hi Mike

Did this one have a white spot on the side of the 'body' (its wing case). If so,
it's Sphodromantis viridis - a naturalized species.

Martin

A nice quiet hour spent at the salt pans as a birthday treat.
At least two Red-breasted mergansers and several Bluethroat but they don’t normally stay on view for long. The first gate on the left going down Eddies Track is very good but the birds just flit out onto the bank for a second or two and then they are gone. Sometimes, if you are lucky, the birds sing from the tops of bushes allowing photos.
I couldn’t have asked for a better day. Mike

Happy birthday Mike!

Morning at Porto Colom, singing Balearic Warblers numbering at least 7 birds in the viscinity of the bay at S'algar, plus a couple of Thekla Larks, Audoin's Gull, plenty of stonechats. Also saw my first Geranium Bronze here this morning.

That would be great Kevin. The salt pans are certainly the place to be at the moment with some terrific records of late and now a Short-eared owl this afternoon seen by Antonio.
Some very unseasonal birds have been seen too so there could be more surprises there. I am spending the afternoon there tomorrow so I will report in the evening.
My patch at Es Llombards was bursting with birds too, I had a walk along the roadside for a while today and the fields were full of larks, pipits and Thrushes so it will be worth spending some more time there going through everything because you just never know.
Thanks all for the birthday wishes.
Mike.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back