• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID bird spotted from window(suburban Mumbai, India) (1 Viewer)

Advait M.

Here are three bad photos of this bird. Only one is clear and in focus but its facing away. I attached an out of focus one anyway to give information about its form. Another one shows a sparse view of its rump region.
It must have been similar to a myna in size, with a more slender form. The tree had small fruits on it that are visible in one of the photos. I have observed tailorbirds and orioles feed on them. It moved around quite a lot not allowing me to get decent photos so it might be foraging for food. Don't recollect seeing this one before.
I haven't been able to provide a lot of info on this but I'll be glad if someone could help with ID
Thanks

Attachments

• 20181206-DSC_0869.jpg
    20181206-DSC_0869.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20181206-DSC_0870.jpg
    20181206-DSC_0870.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20181206-DSC_0871.jpg
    20181206-DSC_0871.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 42
Looks a bit like a female purple rumped sunbird but the legs give me pause. And thats smaller than a myna for sure. Any more details?

Looks a bit like a female purple rumped sunbird but the legs give me pause. And thats smaller than a myna for sure. Any more details?
It certainly didn't seem like a sunbird... Way too large, plus I see plenty of them on the same tree so I'd tell.
I did not hear any call at all, it was quietly managing its own business. It vanished into the foliage after a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back