• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

A bracing walk along the front at Colonia Sant Jordi in the south was invigorating to say the least.
Several big flocks of Golden plover, one group of over 250 was nice.
Seven Turnstones, Common Sandpiper, Kentish plover and the highlight of a close-in adult Gannet sweeping majestically past, they really seem to relish high winds and what a joy they are, never failing to give me goosebumps.
Mike

and the highlight of a close-in adult Gannet sweeping majestically past, they really seem to relish high winds and what a joy they are, never failing to give me goosebumps.
Mike

I've literally just read in an email from a friend that Gannets are already back on their nesting ledges on Fair Isle - despite the cold and snow. Brave!

Makes me shiver at the very thought of it Martin.
Mirella filmed a pair of Shag today on eggs so they are very early too.
It is due to be minus one degree here tonight so I will get a taste of Britain later when I go looking for Owls. I need Scops for the year and I have not heard one yet. It’s a nice clear night so I may get lucky.
Mike

Afternoon walk to Ternelle Valley Enterance on a cold and blustery day.

Birds seen included: Hoopoe, Kestrels,Booted Eagle, 1 Black Vulture, 3 Griffon Vultures, Serins, Goldfinches, Black Redstart, Song Thrush, and Blackcaps.

Mike

Flock of about 20 Stone curlews have been showing around the ‘back lanes’, usually in the first field on the right when coming from the Llenaire roundabout.

Jane and I met up with Mike Swiss today for a birdwatch around Porto Colom.
Mike was as ebullient as always and we both instantly recalled our last outing together with StewB. We were still buzzing from that day but quickly realised that today could never live up to that magic time.
How right we were.
A couple of Peregrine were nice, distant views of some shearwaters were disappointing, one unidentified Warbler at the normal Yellow-browed site was frustrating.
The Balearic warblers were unobliging and there was nothing else of note.
I got my wish of a Scops owl but sadly this one was freshly dead.
There were carpets of Black Redstarts, they cover the ground over much of Mallorca in winter.
It was still loads of fun though, never a dull moment when Mike is around.
Mike.

Attachments

• 5634DE94-D28E-4DB1-85CE-05F4B683380B.jpg
    5634DE94-D28E-4DB1-85CE-05F4B683380B.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Dead right Mike

Thanks again for a great day

Mike Swiss

Attachments

• D05F96EC-403B-483B-843D-078E13F16610.jpg
    D05F96EC-403B-483B-843D-078E13F16610.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 70
Jane and I met up with Mike Swiss today for a birdwatch around Porto Colom.
Mike was as ebullient as always and we both instantly recalled our last outing together with StewB. We were still buzzing from that day but quickly realised that today could never live up to that magic time.
How right we were.

Certainly my best day’s birding in Mallorca (so far.. he said optimistically!). It’s been sustaining me during some slow birding days back home. Not too long ‘til June!

Stew

Bluethroat showing well at Albufereta mid morning, around the main birding platform. Other birds present included 30+ Flamingos, Red-crested pochard, Pintail, Wigeon, Greenshank, Kentish plover, Green sandpiper, Black winged stilts, Osprey, Great white egret and Crossbill.

Afternoon visit to Maristany with Keith. Great to see Pep and Georges on this warm and sunny afternoon.

Birds seen included Common Pochard, RedCrested Pochards, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Shoverler, Kingfisher.

After a few minutes the Ferruginous Duck and Black necked grebe appeared

A Stone Curlew flew past on the way back

Mike

Attachments

• 245B309C-5511-4D74-AD1E-99B27CF5181E.jpeg
    245B309C-5511-4D74-AD1E-99B27CF5181E.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DCB9C16C-D45F-498B-9800-4190CD909082.jpeg
    DCB9C16C-D45F-498B-9800-4190CD909082.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 54
Afternoon visit to Maristany with Keith. Great to see Pep and Georges on this warm and sunny afternoon.
After a few minutes the Ferruginous Duck and Black necked grebe appeared
Mike

Well done Mike, he is not Georges, but Carlos.
I told you you only need to be patient, the ferrugineus was there, but just hiden, so the way was wait and wait ;)

Lol..i always get things wrong. Thanks Pep and my apologies to Carlos
Afternoon visit to S’Albufera and S’ Amarador with Keith. Windy day.
Usual birds seen but most huddled up against the wind. 10 common Snipe and 20 Avocet showing well at the hide.
No sign of bluethroats at S’Amarador.

Drove back through a swarm of starlings..interesting experience.

Pep what do you make of this wader? Possible Temmicks?

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• 04D69C1B-170B-485C-A537-A62EAE78A453.jpeg
    04D69C1B-170B-485C-A537-A62EAE78A453.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 9A0C9EB0-7982-491B-95EF-5DF82EEB56F5.jpeg
    9A0C9EB0-7982-491B-95EF-5DF82EEB56F5.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 6555831C-0026-4C15-838E-49467969BDDB.jpeg
    6555831C-0026-4C15-838E-49467969BDDB.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 78
I've written up the notes from my trip a couple of weeks ago. Pdf attached.

Attachments

• Mallorca Jan 2019 pdf.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
I enjoyed reading that almost as much as being there! A great report Stew and I feel very lucky to have shared some of those sightings with you.
Mike

I've written up the notes from my trip a couple of weeks ago. Pdf attached.

Stewart, an excellent report. I was there from 14-21 January staying in Port de Pollenca and covered much of the same ground although I haven't yet been to Bassa de Can Guidet and didn't go to Lluc this time. I did go out on the peninsula beyond Alcudia for the first time to Campanment de la Victoria for a spot of sea watching though. Our species lists for the corresponding weeks is very similar. I haven't been in Mallorca at this time of the year before and was surprised just how much there is around as my knowledge of places to go gradually improves. I'm due back in a week or so and very much looking forward to it
David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back