• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (5 Viewers)

From the Flashes Dave J reports:

3 Avocet, 8 Curlew, 207 Lapwing, 63 Teal, Snipe, Shelduck, 5 Meadow Pipit, 2 Skylark.

Just 2 Little Egrets roosting on the Sailing Pool.

From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

89 (!!!) Pochard, 2 Little Egret, 3 Oystercatcher, 3 Shelduck, 7 Gadwall, 4 Little Grebe, Curlew, 19 Snipe

Today's full WeBS count courtesy of Dave J:

Avocet 3, Canada Goose 32, Coot 55, Cormorant 24, Curlew 8, Gadwall 7, Great Crested Grebe 7, Grey Heron 3, Greylag Goose 15, Lapwing 307, Little Egret 2, Little Grebe 4, Mallard 20, Moorhen 18+, Mute Swan 6, Oystercatcher 3, Pochard 89, Shelduck 3, Shoveler 26, Snipe 20, Teal 85, Tufted Duck 41, BH Gull 250, Herring Gull 4, LBB Gull 76

Last edited:
Jack Snipe

Not I'm afraid at UW. This is for Bob P from UW who was kind enough to say hello today and good enough to tell me the Jack Snipe was showing.
My thanks must also go to the guy with the scope trained on it. This J S didn't want to be seen!!

Anyway "Here's looking at you kid."

Had to go and lie down in a darkened room to recover afterwards.

Attachments

• DSCN9773 (3).jpg
    DSCN9773 (3).jpg
    382 KB · Views: 81
Old and New

Trying out the new boat and electric motor last Tuesday
Same day - the volunteers, and Nick the fencing contractor, returning the old boat from the Flashes after all the work on the fox fencing.

My appreciation of all the volunteers for all the work they have done both at the Moors and the Flashes.

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN0536.jpg
    DSCN0536.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0557 (2).jpg
    DSCN0557 (2).jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 51
Missing Birds

Reading John's twitter page today wondering were birds are - check out today's Webs count for Slimbridge.

Amongst other birds were 29 avocet on South Lake. Awesome watching them flying round and then feeding on the lake.

just some pics from today.
1 trying to work out, is she interested?
2 did he walk all the way to pic 5?
3 looked like a big bird.
4 now why are they both hiding?
5 queuing for scraps .
After doing a lot of walking around the reserve this weekend I agree with Phil on what a good job all the volunteers have done.Also can't fault the trust with the work done in the last few years..many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7765.JPG
    IMG_7765.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7770.JPG
    IMG_7770.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7772.JPG
    IMG_7772.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7779.JPG
    IMG_7779.JPG
    584.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    656 KB · Views: 34
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

5 Avocet, 3 Oystercatcher, Snipe, 10 Curlew, 150 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, 55 Teal, Peregrine, 3 Meadow Pipit

4 Little Egret in the roost at the Sailing Pool.

There are 5 avocet at the Flashes. Are the others still at the Moors or are they the same? They were still at the Moors when I left - but had a cheese toastie!

Today's work party Moors

Today 18 of us prepared Amy's Marsh for the forthcoming breeding season .
This included us planting many clumps of juncus on snipe island. This was dug up from the season pool and transported to the east bank and finally on the island via a bridge in the form of the aluminium boat. Once it takes hold the island will have enough cover for breeding species hopefully lapwing. The island will also be less prone to erosion as the juncus will hopefully hold the soil in place.
Also today we used three brush cutters to cut back large areas of bramble and rank vegetation. Stands of reed has encroached along the Eastern arm of the Broadmeadow Pool and up the bank behind the sand Martin bank. This has reduced the available grazing areas for cattle and ultimately wading birds have fewer feeding areas. The reeds and all the brash was burned.The area now looks very open and attractive to a wide range of birds and the flora will also benefit and become more enriched. In two weeks time we will be clearing the Broadmeadow island and the area will then be ready for the breeding season.

Many thanks to the crew and thanks to Tony B and Nick F for the cakes
Alan D. Andy A. Bob G. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Ian B. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C. Steve S. Terry W. Tony B and me.
:t:john

Birding on Reserve Today

MOORS:-
GCG. Little grebe. Little egret 6.
Mute swan pr. Shoveler c20. Gadwall 6. Teal c20. Shelduck 6. Pochard 85. Tufted Duck 20+.
Cormorant 6. Greylag. Coot c20.
Snipe 45. Jack Snipe 6. These two species were flushed prior to work party.
Lapwing 120. Curlew 8. Oystercatcher 3.
BHG 350. Herring Gull 5.
Peregrine. Buzzard
Green woodp.
Mistle thrush singing. Reed Bunting at least 5 singing

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 8. Tufted 12.

FLASHES:- last hour this evening
mute swan pr. Teal 8. Shoveler male. Coot 14. Little egret
Lapwing 2. Curlew 10. Oystercatcher 1
BHG 700 roosted.
Starling 12 . Pied wag 2. Cetti's singing. Chiffchaff contact calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back