• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (3 Viewers)

Grafham Water 24 Feb: finally, close views of the juvenile Caspian Gull and it does look like the Sept 2018 individual that I photographed very closely eating a fish. Comparison here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699723@N04/albums/72157703632408062
More of the gull from today here including the interesting male hybrid Tufted x Red-crested Pochard https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699723@N04/46477164874/in/album-72157705544150001/ &
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699723@N04/47148881972/in/album-72157705544150001/

Still two female Scaup and the Drake Scaup yesterday . Also a Common Sandpiper on the 23 Feb.

All the old Grafham photos should be back soon.......

Hi Matt, when I posted photos of the current bird on Twitter last week, a few people linked photos to other birds currently present at other sites in the country, so it seems there a few examples of this hybrid in the UK at the moment.

Thanks; in 40 odd years reservior birding I can’t remember coming across this precise hybrid; but RCP’s have always been present. Interesting to know if its brothers are still present as this one clearly has only recently arrived at Grafham I guess.

The Pontefract bird you linked for 2014 was still present at the same time as Grafham Water bird;

https://twitter.com/flipinsheffield/status/1096470986453667841

Given the lower density of RCP's in UK (compared to Pochard, Tufted Duck, Scaup etc), I guess it will always be a rarer combination. Also the others mention are all obviously Aythya's, and I wonder if this pairing is less likely to make it too adulthood (with RCP being from the genus Netta )

Thanks; in 40 odd years reservior birding I can’t remember coming across this precise hybrid; but RCP’s have always been present. Interesting to know if its brothers are still present as this one clearly has only recently arrived at Grafham I guess.

Hardly fresh in - first seen here in eclipse last July as per Cambirds Mail group, and seen a number of times since

Grafham Water 9 March ; best birds, the two Avocets in the lagoons, plus a Green Sandpiper. A lone Dunlin on the dam and the adult Caspian Gull distantly from Dudney hide that occasionally flew near enough for some photos.

Grafham Water 10 Mar; male and female Scaup off Plummer carpark in very rough conditions. Three Dunlin around the only other birds of note.

Grafham water 17 Mar: male and female Scaup still present. Also the presumed hybrid Red-crested Pochard x Tufted Duck male from Plummer car park.

Grafham water - scarce grebes ?
All winter I’ve been looking at the grebes and finding none! Now reports of both Slav and BnG consecutive days in the same place on RBA pager.
Do we really have both present? I can’t get there until Saturday unfortunately so hope someone can check?

Colin Addington reported Slav Grebe yesterday and said it was in partial summer plumage. Ian Dawson has seen Black-necked Grebe this afternoon and states "in almost full summer plumage". I've not been able to get there either, but mid-March is traditionally a good time for Grebes to arrive at the reservoir.

Grafham Water 24 March: the 5 Black-necked Grebes still off the dam and the pair of Garganey off Plummer Carpark. The regular Immature Caspian Gull in Valley Creek daytime gull roost from the hide at mid day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back