• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikkor 500mm f5.46pf lens - any users yet ? (1 Viewer)

I am so jonesing for a D500 with the PF500.

There's just no path forward for me with Canon.
I have a 7D that I've struggled with for years for it's terrible high ISO performance and mediocre focus tracking. The 7DII wasn't enough of an advance to warrant buying, IMO, and I'm done waiting for the 7DIII for whatever minor improvements it may offer.

The Canon 400 f5.6 has been a good lens but to get any more reach the cost goes up about a factor of 8!

I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.

Depends on what you shoot, in what light and your quality demands. Shooting action with APS-C and f5.6 + 1/1000+ s will often drive the ISO in the upper limits for the D500. I suspect that the D760 might be released later this year and could be good match. But it all depends on your shooting style etc. of course.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems to be real bad news.
The dealers I talked to, including Nikon themselves just shake their heads.
Maybe Nikon is moving the manufacturing of the 500 PF to Japan?

IMHO, there is no good reason not to simply explain to dealers and customers what specifically is causing the delay.

It is just another example of what has always frustrated me about Nikon's relationship to customers: Secrecy. Silence. Distance. I try to remain objective and give them the benefit of the doubt, but the void created by the absence of information ultimately leads to negative thoughts: They are "aloof" and they don't care, or they are afraid to tell us the truth for some reason.

Dave

Last edited:
Depends on what you shoot, in what light and your quality demands. Shooting action with APS-C and f5.6 + 1/1000+ s will often drive the ISO in the upper limits for the D500. I suspect that the D760 might be released later this year and could be good match. But it all depends on your shooting style etc. of course.

f/5.6 at 1/1000 and ISO 100 requires an EV 15 subject illumination. That's basically full sun. Heavy overcast or sunset is EV 12, so need ISO 800.

You should have decent DoF at 500mm on APS-C or FF from, say, 30m out. At closer range you'd likely need to bump up the f stop which will also bump up the ISO. At 10m, you'd have about a +/- 5cm DoF, at f/11 it's +/- 90 cm. f/11 at 1/1000th would be EV 17 (4x more light needed), so you would need ISO 400 in daylight or 3200 at sunset / heavy overcast / shade.

Personally, I think f/5.6 is pretty usable if you're willing to shoot ISO 200 - 800 regularly. I make do OK with the Tamron 150-600 f/4.5 - 6.3. But if you are used to shooting 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, you will need to adapt. 1/1000th used above is actually not that fast for birds, I sometimes want to use 1/1250 or 1/1600, which will indeed push ISO pretty hight. Fortunately, I shoot the d850 which handles it OK.

The main drawbacks will be the autofocus. f/4 is a magic number. Slower than that and you're down from 99 cross sensors to 45 cross sensors (on d850).

I do not think using the 1.4x TC will work out that great. I've seen some reviews that show it doing well, but f/8 is going to be a drag. A tc-14e on an f/5.6 lens drops the d850 to 15 focus points (9 selectable) with 5 cross sensors.
You will also lose 3d tracking when the TC/lens combo is over f/5.6.

That all said, I'd love to shoot one!

Marc

f/5.6 at 1/1000 and ISO 100 requires an EV 15 subject illumination. That's basically full sun. Heavy overcast or sunset is EV 12, so need ISO 800.

You should have decent DoF at 500mm on APS-C or FF from, say, 30m out. At closer range you'd likely need to bump up the f stop which will also bump up the ISO. At 10m, you'd have about a +/- 5cm DoF, at f/11 it's +/- 90 cm. f/11 at 1/1000th would be EV 17 (4x more light needed), so you would need ISO 400 in daylight or 3200 at sunset / heavy overcast / shade.

Personally, I think f/5.6 is pretty usable if you're willing to shoot ISO 200 - 800 regularly. I make do OK with the Tamron 150-600 f/4.5 - 6.3. But if you are used to shooting 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, you will need to adapt. 1/1000th used above is actually not that fast for birds, I sometimes want to use 1/1250 or 1/1600, which will indeed push ISO pretty hight. Fortunately, I shoot the d850 which handles it OK.

The main drawbacks will be the autofocus. f/4 is a magic number. Slower than that and you're down from 99 cross sensors to 45 cross sensors (on d850).

I do not think using the 1.4x TC will work out that great. I've seen some reviews that show it doing well, but f/8 is going to be a drag. A tc-14e on an f/5.6 lens drops the d850 to 15 focus points (9 selectable) with 5 cross sensors.
You will also lose 3d tracking when the TC/lens combo is over f/5.6.

That all said, I'd love to shoot one!

Marc

I agree that you will at least loose some AF performance with a f5.6 lens compared to a f4 or f2.8.
And it will be a bit more significant in low light I guess. The focus motors in the 500 PF seem pretty snappy though.

When it comes to shooting action, a larger f-stop is never a bad thing. As an example I was shooting with the D500 + 300/4 PF the other day.

It was 2 hours before sunset, sunny with no clouds. The light was strong with distinct shadows but not too harsh like in the middle of the day at EV15.

The exposure settings I got were 1/1000s, f4 at ISO800 (EV11@ISO100). Even though the subject was not the fastest (a big owl) the 1/1000s was on the long side for freezing all action of the hunting owl.

One hour before sunset, with the sun behind some thin clouds, settings were 1/800s, f4 at ISO3200.

The last 30 to 15 minutes before sunset, with a bit less clouds again, settings were 1/500-1/800s, f4 at ISO3600-5000.

For the "sitting bird" shots I could use a slower shutter speed and lower ISO of course.

But the bottom line is that with an f5.6 lens on the D500 I would have been struggling even more with the short shutter speeds and ISO.
So for my needs, the 500mm/5.6 PF would be a better fit on a FF camera. Your milage might vary of course.

Last edited:
I agree that you will at least loose some AF performance with a f5.6 lens compared to a f4 or f2.8.
And it will be a bit more significant in low light I guess. The focus motors in the 500 PF seem pretty snappy though.

When it comes to shooting action, a larger f-stop is never a bad thing. As an example I was shooting with the D500 + 300/4 PF the other day.

It was 2 hours before sunset, sunny with no clouds. The light was strong with distinct shadows but not too harsh like in the middle of the day at EV15.

The exposure settings I got were 1/1000s, f4 at ISO800 (EV11@ISO100). Even though the subject was not the fastest (a big owl) the 1/1000s was on the long side for freezing all action of the hunting owl.

One hour before sunset, with the sun behind some thin clouds, settings were 1/800s, f4 at ISO3200.

The last 30 to 15 minutes before sunset, with a bit less clouds again, settings were 1/500-1/800s, f4 at ISO3600-5000.

For the "sitting bird" shots I could use a slower shutter speed and lower ISO of course.

But the bottom line is that with an f5.6 lens on the D500 I would have been struggling even more with the short shutter speeds and ISO.
So for my needs, the 500mm/5.6 PF would be a better fit on a FF camera. Your milage might vary of course.

I failed to point out that those EV readings (from tables) are for a neutral gray target. If you're shooting something dark, you need more EV. If the light is not directly on it (like off to the side), you'll need more. Or a BIF is often in shadow under the wings, so you'll need more. Or if you have a protective filter, you'll need more. f/4 vs f/5.6 is 2x the light -- you could shoot twice as fast or half the ISO.

From experience with my Tamron 150-600 (@ f/6.3), which I love the weight on compared to 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, I have to live with mid- to high- ISO. And around sunset, it can have noticeably slower focusing or more hunting on the d850. So, I shoot raw and have to put in more work in post. It also limits the amount of crop you can do given the ISO noise.

Marc

I failed to point out that those EV readings (from tables) are for a neutral gray target. If you're shooting something dark, you need more EV. If the light is not directly on it (like off to the side), you'll need more. Or a BIF is often in shadow under the wings, so you'll need more. Or if you have a protective filter, you'll need more. f/4 vs f/5.6 is 2x the light -- you could shoot twice as fast or half the ISO.

From experience with my Tamron 150-600 (@ f/6.3), which I love the weight on compared to 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, I have to live with mid- to high- ISO. And around sunset, it can have noticeably slower focusing or more hunting on the d850. So, I shoot raw and have to put in more work in post. It also limits the amount of crop you can do given the ISO noise.

Marc

Yes, EV might vary a bit, as well as how the camera measures the scene. But the exposure figures in my example are in the ballpark of what was needed +-1 EV perhaps. The D500 RAW-files are pretty workable up to ISO 4000 but like most people I usually prefer to shoot at lower ISO for optimal quality.

I will have to think a bit more on the 500 PF. I can understand that some love it but I think I'm probably more of a f4 shooter. I often tend to prefer shooting in the last and first light of the day if possible. o:)

I ordered one a few weeks ago, was told it could take up to 4 months. Its annoying but I suppose I could just use my 200-500mm until one comes available.

John,
If you're brave you can do like I did and get one from germany . I bought mine from big nikon agent and it comes with 5 year guarantee and was cheaper !
Mine was from here - Dostal & Rudolf GmbH

John,
If you're brave you can do like I did and get one from germany . I bought mine from big nikon agent and it comes with 5 year guarantee and was cheaper !
Mine was from here - Dostal & Rudolf GmbH

Looks like the 5-year-warranty is valid only in Germany?

Its tempting, I sent them an email asking this very question. If they says the warranty will cover into the UK then ill probably cancel my current order and get one from them.

I asked Nikon USA about this when I was visiting Japan. They said that if I am in person at a store and buy a lens then bring it back to the US they will honor the warranty. The important thing is it must be from an authorized nikon dealer and it must be in person. They do not consider that a grey market sale.

I did this by doing a support request on the Nikon USA web site and asking a pre-sales question. You should be able to do something similar in the UK? Of course, you'd need to buy a train ticket to Germany and maybe drink some beer here and there.

MKarc

the guarantee is valid in Germany so it can always be sent back if there is a major problem . nikon uk will support any lens for a year only so nothing is lost by buying in europe .

the guarantee is valid in Germany so it can always be sent back if there is a major problem . nikon uk will support any lens for a year only so nothing is lost by buying in europe .

Thanks for the share on that German store.
I canceled my WEX order and bought one from that site, should be delivered in 2 weeks rather than waiting over 4 months for one from the UK.

As for the warranty Nikon said that I'd have to send it back to Germany for repair if needed whcih isn't too much of an hassle or my insurance that i take out every year for my gear could also cover any costs.

Can't wait to try it out.

Glad you did it. I received mine in under a week so good old German efficiency .
Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite
tree creepers drive me insane but I'll get them in the end !

Attachments

• 018_2426.jpg
    018_2426.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 018_2437.jpg
    018_2437.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 233
Thanks for the share on that German store.
I canceled my WEX order and bought one from that site, should be delivered in 2 weeks rather than waiting over 4 months for one from the UK.

As for the warranty Nikon said that I'd have to send it back to Germany for repair if needed whcih isn't too much of an hassle or my insurance that i take out every year for my gear could also cover any costs.

Can't wait to try it out.

I've been waiting since August 2018. It's so totally messed up in the US.

Glad you did it. I received mine in under a week so good old German efficiency .
Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite
tree creepers drive me insane but I'll get them in the end !

They've confirmed delivery around April 4-5th which is great and just in time for Spring. Much better than waiting 4 months for the possibility of my order being fulfilled with a UK supplier.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back