• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

Bits and bobs...

53. Common Gull among increasing numbers of Black-headed Gulls
54. Long-tailed Tits, a pair of snowy-heads making a nest

A few additions over the last couple of days.
62 little egret
63 chiffchaff
64 little grebe.
Grebe was a good addition as we can only hear them in the distance on flat calm days and we haven’t had many of those recently.

Was rudely awoken this am by a ''train''......the ''Chatter-Chatter-Hoo-Hoo'' ;)

Attachments

• P1880809.jpeg   Tawny 4..jpeg
    P1880809.jpeg Tawny 4..jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 30
Nice Action photo Ken. :t:

On Thursday one big guy glided on southern sky:

#22. White-tailed Eagle - I had been waiting on this. Last time I saw one was on 1st December.

It was nice sunny morning today (OK - actually it was already 9:30 am, cos I was on Punk gig last night B :) ), so I took a chance to drink "morning"coffee on outside stairs. First new bird for this year was lonely:
#23. Northern Lapwing - At noon I saw 3 more from kitchen window. All flyovers of course - no fields anywhere near.
Second new bird was also totally new bird for my garden, one flyover:
#24. Stock Dove! :king:

Nice Action photo Ken. :t:

On Thursday one big guy glided on southern sky:

#22. White-tailed Eagle - I had been waiting on this. Last time I saw one was on 1st December.

Yes thanks Wari, WTSEagle is not one that I will get, indeed It took me six attempts (driving 4 hours return each trip) to nail that to my UK list...however I’ll keep my eyes peeled just in case. :t:

New species for my land today - a Smew flying over, a male no less. Had never had one of these on my radar, but not totally unexpected in reality - moderately common on passage at this time of the year and my land is situated in the middle of a lake district, so fairly often assorted ducks and swans etc fly over as they move from lake to lake. 179th species so far.

Drumming Lesser Spotted Woodpecker too, first Robins returned.

56. Smew
57. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
58. Robin

Red Squirrel on my peanut feeder too, very welcome indeed.

Last edited:
20 - Canada goose
21 - Herring gull (finally - for some reason they like to fly everywhere near me apart from our garden)
22 - Goldcrest
23 - goldfinch (these were a daily occurrence in our previous garden, just a mile away, but only the second sighting in almost a year since moving)
24 - mistle thrush.

Continuing spring arrivals:

59. White Stork, atop a nest
60. Mistle Thrush, two migratory flocks foraging (rarely see these in any other month except March)
61. White Wagtail
62. Meadow Pipit

37. chiffchaff - a silent individual on Sunday.

Rob

Unlike your strong silent type Rob, I heard but didn't see my first one this afternoon. Early this morning a solitary Ring Ousel was feeding in the fields below, a bit of luck as when the weather is set fair as at present they usually arrive on the mountains without stopping here, it must have been tired and hungry!

53 Ring Ousel
54 Chiffchaff

You were right, Jos. I'll watch you sail off into the distance now, absence in April notwithstanding.

Very early spring here, not usual to have all this stuff back on such early dates, eg usually White Storks in about two weeks, etc.

Already had some goood butterflies too - usually see no butterflies in March, or perhaps the odd one at the very end of the month, but last weekend, eight Large Tortoiseshells, three Yellow-legged Tortoiseshells, etc, plus more common species.

There's a few Large Tortoiseshells in the UK at the mo. I need it for my list.

Until last Wednesday the only butterflies we'd seen here this year were Small Tortoiseshell, not even a Brimstone. So on Wednesday (27 March) it was a nice surprise to see a pristine Painted Lady just up the track from our place.
Up and outside very early this morning, rewarded with a Redwing calling overhead in the half-light. Possibly two more flew past distantly a few minutes later but I couldn't exclude Song Thrush. This is our first spring record here, in ten years at our old place I only ever saw one in spring, also end of March.
There was a Barn Swallow at the nearby farm on Thursday but it hasn't shown here yet, a March Swallow for the Garden List would be a first,
2nd April is the earliest I've managed in my 13 years garden listing here in the Alps.

55 Redwing

Until last Wednesday the only butterflies we'd seen here this year were Small Tortoiseshell, not even a Brimstone. So on Wednesday (27 March) it was a nice surprise to see a pristine Painted Lady just up the track from our place.
Up and outside very early this morning, rewarded with a Redwing calling overhead in the half-light. Possibly two more flew past distantly a few minutes later but I couldn't exclude Song Thrush. This is our first spring record here, in ten years at our old place I only ever saw one in spring, also end of March.
There was a Barn Swallow at the nearby farm on Thursday but it hasn't shown here yet, a March Swallow for the Garden List would be a first,
2nd April is the earliest I've managed in my 13 years garden listing here in the Alps.

55 Redwing

Wow, I'm surprised you don't get Swallows before us - and March 30th is traditionally the first date here! Still waiting for one yet!

Edit: BINGO!! Swallow just flew north !!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back