• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straight or angled scope (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Red dot faster then binoculars? Your seriously doing something wrong.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I don't need any tips from a guy who thinks it's a challenge to pick up a soaring eagle with an angled scope :-D

Maybe your magic shooting technique is actually a good thing for the few people who are really struggling with basic pointing tasks. It all depends on the frame of reference.

With regard to shooting, red dots sights have become a lot more common, often to the point of dominance, in many disciplines than they were 20 years ago, especially in disciplines where fast acquisition is required. If it's different in skeet shooting ... well, they might have their reasons for going against the trend. But remember that shooting topics are off limits here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stay clear of these.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

I defined alignment several posts back, regarding body, eye, optic, and target

So instead of clarifying the issue by repeating that definition so we can have a constructive discussion, you're making an entirely unhelpful and probably untrue claim in an obvious attempt to evade the issue.

All I can say is ... I'm not surprised.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I don't need any tips from a guy who thinks it's a challenge to pick up a soaring eagle with an angled scope :-D

Maybe your magic shooting technique is actually a good thing for the few people who are really struggling with basic pointing tasks. It all depends on the frame of reference.

With regard to shooting, red dots sights have become a lot more common, often to the point of dominance, in many disciplines than they were 20 years ago, especially in disciplines where fast acquisition is required. If it's different in skeet shooting ... well, they might have their reasons for going against the trend. But remember that shooting topics are off limits here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stay clear of these.

Regards,

Henning

Red dot do dominate in shooting sports but not when it comes to birds or flying clays.many have tried over the years with much failure. Go to any shotgun or sporting clay forum and they will look down on red dot sights. Because you point not aim. That’s the fundamental rule when switching from rifles to sporting clays

While I am trying to respect forum rules, how else are birders going to understand NPA regarding their optics. Since it’s a skill set mostly taught in shooting sports

While I never said you can’t watch soaring birds with angled scopes. What I’m saying is that acquisition is much faster.

If you want to ignore skills that can help improve your observing, regardless of angled or straight that’s your prerogative. But you stressed the importance of a stable tripod, yet you don’t want to embrace learning the other half of the equation of stabilizing your body to the optimum level it can achieve for observing

Your loss not mine

Last edited:
I have both straight and angled scopes. I appreciate all the benefits of angled scopes for many situations, but for my own personal use, I much prefer straight. If I'm scanning with eyes and then taking quick scope views to check details, or if I'm using a scope to follow a bird (or more often these days, a moving turtle that is popping in and out of view from under water, which I'm also trying to photographically document), I especially appreciate a straight model because I don't have to take my eyes off the area/object of interest or the area in which it will likely reappear. I can keep both eyes open to keep track of the object or scan the relevant area, insert binoculars for quick magnified views, or insert the scope in my line of sight for max magnification, and when needed, quickly insert camera with viewfinder between eye and scope for digiscoping documentation. All this while maintaining line of sight.

--AP

I know one and he’s a top birder / seawatcher. He has a straight Zeiss FL 85. He’s bot a very tall guy so that helps a bit.

I see a few straight scopes from time to time. Usually both the scopes and the users are rather old. Perhaps straight was more popular 20 or 30 years ago? I have never seen a straight version of the newer scope models.

Last edited:
I think you are the one here exhibiting a serious lack of skills. E.g a lack of ability to accept that your personal views may not be the only valid one.

I have never denied that there aren’t other valid views to angled, I admitted them several times in this thread

I see a few straight scopes from time to time. Usually both the scopes and the users are rather old. Perhaps straight was more popular 20 or 30 years ago? I have never seen a straight version of the newer scope models.

From what I’m told angled is way more popular in Europe. Several Manufacturers and birding books mention this. Supposedly our viewing habits are slightly different

If it works for you, great! Just giving a different perspective on straight scopes because they have benefits as well.

As an astronomer straight scopes can be used just like binoculars at the night sky

So you are hand holding your straight scope, or have it mounted on a very high tripod bending your neck back very far to look at the night sky using NPA ! 8-P And I am sure that is very comfortable. For quick looks at the night sky I use my Nikon 82 angled spotting scope on a very good portable tripod and binoculars. I have a straight Nikon 50ED but do not use it for that. Just to be clear I do have astro scopes.BTW I know about NPA.

Last edited:
So you are hand holding your straight scope, or have it mounted on a very high tripod bending your neck back very far to look at the night sky using NPA ! 8-P And I am sure that is very comfortable. For quick looks at the night sky I use my Nikon 82 angled spotting scope on a very good portable tripod and binoculars. I have a straight Nikon 50ED but do not use it for that. Just to be clear I do have astro scopes.BTW I know about NPA.

No I mentioned I lay flat for astronomy when looking at zenith

By the way, when your looking at zenith with angled spotting scope, you still need a tall tripod and it’s not comfortable to look at either.

As you probably know 45 degree angle spotting scopes are despised my many astronomers. They want 90 and less prisms

Last edited:
Funny stuff.
Angled for me. It just works for birding. Even better for astronomy.
Any scope is about adaptation. You adapt. Or not.
I dont get the argument.

Mark

B :)
No I mentioned I lay flat for astronomy when looking at zenith

By the way, when your looking at zenith with angled spotting scope, you still need a tall tripod and it’s not comfortable to look at either.

As you probably know 45 degree angle spotting scopes are despised my many astronomers. They want 90 and less prisms

So I guess you use a small straight scope for laying flat looking at the night sky. I have used higher power binocular that way and it was nice. I could use my Nikon 50ED for that with lower power, but a pain to put out something to lay etc. etc. I do have 90 degree prisms for my Astro scopes. As far as your constant talk about NPA that is getting to be very Old!!8-P

Last edited:
B :)

So I guess you use a small straight scope for laying flat looking at the night sky. I have used higher power binocular that way and it was nice. I could use my Nikon 50ED for that with lower power, but a pain to put out something to lay etc. etc. I do have 90 degree prisms for my Astro scopes. As far as your constant talk about NPA that is getting to be very Old!!8-P

I mostly use binoculars for astronomy as well, more so then my Astro scopes. Matter of fact binoculars are my preferred tool of choice in most things.

It’s only constant talk about NPA because misinformed people want to continue criticizing it. Which I don’t think is fair for people who might take it into consideration

With you being a binocular astronomer you are probably aware that gravity chairs are very popular when using them. Seems like people are using some of the skills of NPA without even knowing it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back