Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon WX anyone?

Old Monday 13th May 2019, 13:09   #26
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
Two questions if I may:

1. Do you ever carry the WX over your shoulder/neck like a messenger bag?

2. Holger, why did you purchase the 10x rather than the 7x ?

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy,

I carry the WX inside my day pack and pull it out whenever I want to watch. Over shorter distances, I just keep it in my hand (I have not attached any neck strap to it).

Regarding 7x vs. 10x, it was close. Anyone would have been fine with me. But I noticed that whenever I was using the 7x50, I got the feeling that a little extra power would come in handy. I also realized that jitter was no problem with the 10x due to its extraordinary weight (and inertia). Finally, under the stars, the 10x was just a little bit more impressive I guess. So, after a couple of months of thinking it over, I got the 10x.

Cheers,
Holger
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 13:37   #27
CharleyBird

Thanks Holger, quite logical reasoning.

Chilli6x6, No and yes (both, but probably the 10x...I'd rather have their view 'ruin' my Steiners than my new Leicas LOL).

Regards
Andy
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:17   #28
Binastro

No and 1/2 no.

At $3,900/2 i.e. $1,950, I might be willing to have half a Nikon WX 10x50 if someone buys the other half.

A whole Nikon WX is too heavy for me nowadays.

B.
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:26   #29
[email protected]

"due to its extraordinary weight." That is part about the WX's I don't like. I guess I could hire somebody to carry them for me with a tripod. Carrying a WX would be like carrying four SV 8x32's at once and holding four of them up to your eyes. It would be fine on a tripod and that is what it is meant for. If you had a good observation deck where you were overlooking the ocean or a mountain valley and you had them on a tripod. I really don't see how they would be that great for astronomy with the straight through eyepieces. You are going to have a serious kink in your neck. You need 90 degree eyepieces or at least 45 degree for observing at the zenith where most observing is done. Unless you use a zero gravity chair or lay flat on a lounge.

https://astromart.com/classifieds/as...special-prices
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a4828f277de094168fa7216abad2bc37-img.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	694918  Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_8665_323_1407435808_2771.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	694919  

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 13th May 2019 at 17:26.
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:44   #30
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
No and 1/2 no.

At $3,900/2 i.e. $1,950, I might be willing to have half a Nikon WX 10x50 if someone buys the other half.

A whole Nikon WX is too heavy for me nowadays.

B.
That was the heavily discounted price. Current price in the US appears to be 6300$:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-w...binocular.html
or 8100 gbp if you prefer to buy directly from the Nikon-UK:
https://store.nikon.co.uk/sport-opti...A855WA/details
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:47   #31
Binastro

No Hurry (:

B.
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:50   #32
PeterPS

Canip and Holger:

Perhaps a relatively minor aspect but one reviewer complained about side light affecting the view, and felt the need of using winged eyecups. Are the eyecups of the WX comfortable and can you squeeze them into your eye sockets? (they appear to have a relatively large diameter).

Thanks, Peter
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 20:08   #33
Canip

I have never felt that side light affected the view negatively in the WX. I find the eyecups quite comfortable, despite their large diameter, but I never „squeeze them into my eye sockets“ ever (I don‘t do that either with any other binocular, btw).

Canip
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 22:35   #34
Patudo

I've now been able to use the 10x version a number of times for long distance raptor observation. I've been meaning to write up a proper report on the other thread, but in short - the viewing experience it offers is quite unlike anything else. The huge field of view that is practically all sweet spot amazes me whenever I look through it. Ease of view and depth of field are tremendous.

It can be used hand held reasonably satisfactorily if you can brace your elbows on something solid, but is at its absolute best tripod mounted. On this day - having to view through the glass window that can be seen in the photo - I was able to see a peregrine coming up from a building some 3.6km away and follow it for a couple of minutes till it vanished into the distance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190422_172002_01.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	695014  
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 01:17   #35
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
I've now been able to use the 10x version a number of times for long distance raptor observation. I've been meaning to write up a proper report on the other thread, but in short - the viewing experience it offers is quite unlike anything else. The huge field of view that is practically all sweet spot amazes me whenever I look through it. Ease of view and depth of field are tremendous.

It can be used hand held reasonably satisfactorily if you can brace your elbows on something solid, but is at its absolute best tripod mounted. On this day - having to view through the glass window that can be seen in the photo - I was able to see a peregrine coming up from a building some 3.6km away and follow it for a couple of minutes till it vanished into the distance.
That is exactly how I see a WX being used. Set up on a tripod in a static situation. It would also be nice on a tripod at Yellowstone Park in Wyoming scanning the Hayden Valley for wolves. That would be nice to see Peregrines out of your window!
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 06:20   #36
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Canip and Holger:

Perhaps a relatively minor aspect but one reviewer complained about side light affecting the view, and felt the need of using winged eyecups. Are the eyecups of the WX comfortable and can you squeeze them into your eye sockets? (they appear to have a relatively large diameter).

Thanks, Peter

Hello Peter,

I have experienced such a situation when the sun was low and at a certain angle behind my head - its light got caught by the huge eye-lens and caused some reflections. The eyepiece diameter is too large to be accommodated by the eye-sockets - the eyecups rest on the eye-brows instead. Winged eyecups may be useful in certain, but rare situations.

For astronomy, I used the WX mounted on a tripod but didn't enjoy that much. It is best used hand held while lying on a deck chair or even flat on the ground.

In my humble opinion, Nikon should consider making another, scaled-down 7x35 WX with 10°-11° angle and sharp to the edges, that would be about perfect in terms of weight/performance.

Cheers,
Holger
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 07:04   #37
[email protected]

"In my humble opinion, Nikon should consider making another, scaled-down 7x35 WX with 10°-11° angle and sharp to the edges, that would be about perfect in terms of weight/performance."

Would that be a big enough binocular to fit all those lenses in? One of the reasons the WX is so good and has such a wide FOV is it has so much glass in it. I think it has to be big.
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 09:52   #38
Holger Merlitz

Yes, the binocular would be smaller and everything should fit: If we assume the same focal ratio as the 7x50, then the diameter of the intermediate image would be smaller by a factor 0.7 and the prism could be scaled down by the same factor. Its volume (and weight) would then be about 1/3 of the present values. It seems that the eyepiece diameter is currently determined by the size of its field-lens (not eye-lens), which would also reduce with the szie of the intermediate image and the new focal length, which is going down by 0.7 as well. All in all, the 7x35 WX may weight perhaps 1.2 kg (a rough guess).

Cheers,
Holger
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 13:49   #39
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Merlitz View Post
Yes, the binocular would be smaller and everything should fit: If we assume the same focal ratio as the 7x50, then the diameter of the intermediate image would be smaller by a factor 0.7 and the prism could be scaled down by the same factor. Its volume (and weight) would then be about 1/3 of the present values. It seems that the eyepiece diameter is currently determined by the size of its field-lens (not eye-lens), which would also reduce with the szie of the intermediate image and the new focal length, which is going down by 0.7 as well. All in all, the 7x35 WX may weight perhaps 1.2 kg (a rough guess).

Cheers,
Holger
A Nikon 7x35 WX with a 10 degree angle and sharp edges would be sweet! I doubt if we will ever see one though. 1.2kg(42oz.) is pretty heavy for a 7x35 though but I guess with all the glass in it it is to be expected. I would still buy one even at $3K!

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 14th May 2019 at 14:34.
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 16:12   #40
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

For comparisons sake, I weighed the three heaviest/largest binoculars I have; a SV 10X50(35oz), a HT 8X54(37oz), and a SLC 10X56(42.6oz). So, the HEAVIEST, LARGEST binocular I have weighs in at 42.6oz. Let's also take into account that those three are among my least USED binoculars with the SLC 56 the least used of the three. NOW consider that the WX 7X50 weighs in at a published 85.4 ounces. Combined with the weight of the WX, the IF, the 40ft CF distance, AND with birding as my primary use for binoculars by far, my bet is that once the newness wears off the WX WOULD probably become my least used binocular. That would be a tough $4500 pill to swallow...

I don't know......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_110b.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	695091  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 22:45   #41
[email protected]

The WX IMO is a tripod binocular for terrestial or best used with a zero gravity chair or laying down for astronomy. If you had a mountain home overlooking a valley or a third floor condo on the beach overlooking the ocean or even a New York apartment it would be nice permanently set up on a tripod. You probably don't use your bigger binoculars because your smaller ones give you all you need to bird without the weight and size. But if you are a bino enthusiast it would be cool to have the WX as a toy because it is so unusual. If you can afford it and you want it get it. Forget about how unpractical it is. Kind of like having an exotic car. Impractical but fun to take out for a spin once in awhile.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 15th May 2019 at 05:31.
Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 13:42   #42
Tringa45

Patudo,

Is that tripod adapter in the illustration original Nikon? It looks a lot more substantial than the flimsy one initially supplied.

John
Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 18:44   #43
Samolot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
That was the heavily discounted price. Current price in the US appears to be 6300$:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-w...binocular.html
or 8100 gbp if you prefer to buy directly from the Nikon-UK:
https://store.nikon.co.uk/sport-opti...A855WA/details
12% off on Optics planet with the coupon... I wouldn't mind partnering up 50/50 with someone local and own it 6 months out of the year.
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 05:04   #44
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samolot View Post
12% off on Optics planet with the coupon... I wouldn't mind partnering up 50/50 with someone local and own it 6 months out of the year.
The 10X50 comes out to $6082.52 for me including tax. I really don't know it that's a good price in the US or not.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 13:25   #45
[email protected]

I bet if you wait awhile the Nikon 10x50 WX's will come down in price. Why are the 7x50 WX's discounted at B&H for $4500.00? Not as much demand?
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 20:48   #46
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bet if you wait awhile the Nikon 10x50 WX's will come down in price. Why are the 7x50 WX's discounted at B&H for $4500.00? Not as much demand?
Both were discounted for the same price a few months ago. B&H just ran out of the (relatively) more popular 10x50 faster.
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 22:14   #47
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
Patudo,

Is that tripod adapter in the illustration original Nikon? It looks a lot more substantial than the flimsy one initially supplied.

John
Hi Tringa - to the best of my knowledge, it is.

Cheers
patudo
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 22:26   #48
[email protected]

I don't think I would pay the retail of $6K. With my luck a week later they would be on sale again.
Old Friday 17th May 2019, 07:03   #49
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
Patudo,

John
It looks like the one they used at Bird Fair last year. It passes between the objectives and so limits the minimum IPD that can be used. My IPD is 58mm and I couldn't close the binos up enough to take a look through them.

Lee
Old Friday 17th May 2019, 08:20   #50
range

I have looked through both 7x and 10x, and played with 10x quite extensively.
I have no interest in 7x, though 10x is one of a kind so that price is not relevant here. After all I find nothing like it in the market.
The view is just addictive...you must see to believe. The biggest problem is not handholding it, but the heavy weight on my shoudlers.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: