Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 17:43   #626
kevinh

A few more pics. from late April early May, Blue rock thrush Formentor, Collared praticoles and female Redstart S'Albufera and White stork near the airport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 225 (640x480) (600x450).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	695798  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 201 (600x419).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	695799  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 212 (640x480) (600x450).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	695800  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 309 (600x422).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	695801  
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 18:25   #627
kevinh

]A few pics. from early May. Black tern Depuradura, Red footed falcon from Pla de Lanzell, Roller from Son Real and Griffon from Albercux.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maj apmay 2019 252 (640x472) (600x443) (2).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	695815  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 359 (600x449).jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	695816  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 398 (600x467).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	695817  Click image for larger version

Name:	maj apmay 2019 412 (640x443) (600x415).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	695818  
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 19:59   #628
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Majorca April 2019

Hope so Mike, they looked very dodgy, think its the area of the once proposed golf course?
Shrew Rat in one of the boxes at albufereta, some young also seen in the box. 20th April.
C. Pratincole salbufera 22nd April.
Barn Swallow salbufera 22nd April.
11 Glossy Ibis over Lienaire towards albufereta 22nd April.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5005 (640x458).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	695821  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5059.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	695822  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5078.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	695823  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	695824  
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 09:17   #629
VincentB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
]A few pics. from early May. Black tern Depuradura, Red footed falcon from Pla de Lanzell, Roller from Son Real and Griffon from Albercux.
The Griffon is actually a Cinereous vulture
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 11:50   #630
Mike Montier

Whilst scooting around the Island, I have noticed three small flocks of Starlings. It’s impossible to say which species they were from the car but my suspicions were that they were Spotless. They were well away from their normal breeding grounds so they may well be expanding but if anyone knows, do post here.
One flock were around the Botanical gardens near Ses Salines, one near Es Llombards and I can’t remember where the third flock was.
Thanks, Mike
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 17:37   #631
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.g. View Post
Shrew Rat in one of the boxes at albufereta, some young also seen in the box. 20th April.
Steve.
Hi Steve

Presumably you mean shrew or rat as the Shrew Rat is Asiatic.

It's certainly not a shrew so I would assume a rat, either brown or black and possibly the latter, but hard to tell. They usually make a ball-shaped nest in trees.

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Wednesday 22nd May 2019 at 17:40.
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 19:10   #632
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Hi Martin,
i did ask one of the locals and he called it a shrew rat, maybe one of these.Isarog striped shrew-rat (Chrotomys gonzalesi)
Blazed Luzon shrew rat (Chrotomys silaceus)
Sibuyan striped shrew rat (Chrotomys sibuyanensis

Steve.
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 21:34   #633
kevinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Whilst scooting around the Island, I have noticed three small flocks of Starlings. It’s impossible to say which species they were from the car but my suspicions were that they were Spotless. They were well away from their normal breeding grounds so they may well be expanding but if anyone knows, do post here.
One flock were around the Botanical gardens near Ses Salines, one near Es Llombards and I can’t remember where the third flock was.
Thanks, Mike
I saw this single Spotless starling at Pla de Lanzell a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maj apmay 2019 146 (640x474).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	695887  
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 06:19   #634
honeym

Quote:
Hi Martin,
i did ask one of the locals and he called it a shrew rat, maybe one of these.Isarog striped shrew-rat (Chrotomys gonzalesi)
Blazed Luzon shrew rat (Chrotomys silaceus)
Sibuyan striped shrew rat (Chrotomys sibuyanensis

Steve.
I can't find any reference to any of these species on the Balearic Islands. The list of mammals, including escapes/introductions is quite short. I'm wondering if it might be a Garden Dormouse, Eliomys quercinus.

Martin
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 07:01   #635
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
I can't find any reference to any of these species on the Balearic Islands. The list of mammals, including escapes/introductions is quite short. I'm wondering if it might be a Garden Dormouse, Eliomys quercinus.
Martin
Yes I agree with you, in Majorca there are not the shrew species than Steve says, I think it is a Garden Dormouse, common in Majorca.
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 07:19   #636
Mike Montier

Thanks Kevin, you have just reminded me where I saw the other ones, Pla de Lanzell.
Maybe a few stray, I don’t know, but there were at least three at the Botanic gardens.
I also saw two in s’Alqueria Blanca a couple of years back.
Mike
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 09:24   #637
Cristina Fiol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Yes I agree with you, in Majorca there are not the shrew species than Steve says, I think it is a Garden Dormouse, common in Majorca.
Hello!
The mammals I have sometimes found in nest boxes are Rattus rattus /Roof Rat (if I have identified it right) and Elyomis quercinus/Garden Dormouse
Regards,
Cristina.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_1114.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	695920  Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1109.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	695921  
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 12:12   #638
moorethm9
Stevethm

Egyptian vulture again around Llenaire hotel this morning.
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 16:46   #639
Maties Rebassa

Josep Manchado it's right, that is a training dog's area, so at the momment there is nothing to do. We are trying to protect that area, so maybe in the future the situation will be different, we'll see!

And, Mike, I think you are right too, and Spotless Starling populations are increasing. Lately I've seen quite a few in some new places near Palma, always in very small numbers, anyway.

2 days ago from the coast of Portocolom, one Little Tern and at least 13 Storm Petrels. In s'Albufera still a dozen or more Ringed Plovers, and in Bassa de Can Guidet 1 Whiskered Tern, so migration is still not over.

Maties
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 19:37   #640
michaelsteven
Micky S

A few pics from my recent holiday to Mallorca which sadly came to end last Saturday. Great time as usual. Missed out on the rollers but still managed to see some great birds. Are there less woodchat shrikes around? - only seen 3 in the week staying near the Bocquer. Mick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BRThrush8.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	695969  Click image for larger version

Name:	Firecrest7.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	836.4 KB
ID:	695970  Click image for larger version

Name:	CragMartin1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	695971  Click image for larger version

Name:	RFFalcon2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	658.1 KB
ID:	695972  
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 21:00   #641
kevinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsteven View Post
A few pics from my recent holiday to Mallorca which sadly came to end last Saturday. Great time as usual. Missed out on the rollers but still managed to see some great birds. Are there less woodchat shrikes around? - only seen 3 in the week staying near the Bocquer. Mick
Wow! Fantastic images. Well done.

As for the Woodchats. I saw more this Spring than in previous years. So probably a case of right place and time.
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 09:25   #642
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Also for Cristina, these 2 guys were fishing early morning at La Gola, the lady was not with them. 24 April.
steve.
Thank you for the info :(
Although there are no-fishing signs some people do it.
Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 09:40   #643
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
A few pics from my recent holiday to Mallorca which sadly came to end last Saturday. Mick
Hi Mick!
The photo of the BR Thrush with the gecko is a very interesting record.
:)
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 12:34   #644
michaelsteven
Micky S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGola View Post
Hi Mick!
The photo of the BR Thrush with the gecko is a very interesting record.
:)
This is the second year in a row where I have witnessed a female BR Thrush take geckos. Not sure if it's the same bird or not (as in the same area) but it seemed to favour them over insects / beetles. Mick
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 12:39   #645
michaelsteven
Micky S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
Wow! Fantastic images. Well done.

As for the Woodchats. I saw more this Spring than in previous years. So probably a case of right place and time.
Thanks but I have plenty of 'duff blurry' images. Luckily a few came out ok.

With regards to the shrikes it Just seemed strange I was out birding each day but seen only a few. I'll have to try harder or stay out longer!!
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 08:07   #646
Mark Painter

Blue Rock Thrush - Gecko

Quote:
This is the second year in a row where I have witnessed a female BR Thrush take geckos. Not sure if it's the same bird or not (as in the same area) but it seemed to favour them over insects / beetles. Mick
Many years ago (1st May 2000) I witnessed Blue Rock Thrush with a Gecko on Formentor peninsula.

Mark
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 19:27   #647
TonyCath

After seven days at Puerto de Pollenca, just a summary of our visit:

Firstly two unsavoury experiences - at the S'Albufereta near Torrent de Sant Jordi on the main road, we were targeted by pickpockets who got very close to us but we had our wits about us and kept a good distance from them. Later in the week on the Friday at Alcudia Old Town whilst awaiting a bus a team of pickpockets tried again. This time getting much closer before I spotted the hand manoeuvre. We made a commotion and they disappeared rapidly.

Sunday 19 May - S'Albufereta's back lanes - produced a single Bee-eater, Squacco, a flypast Hoopoe, a single Woodchat Shrike and 2 Booted Eagles.

Monday 20 May - Albufera - Night Heron after much hard work, 6 Eleanora Falcons, half a dozen Bee-eaters at Son Bosc, Glossy Ibis, a successful hunting Osprey and Zitting Cisticola (I've always wanted to type this!).

Tuesday 21 May - S'Albufereta, Can Cuarrassa - walking along the lanes there were Thekla Larks, just 1 Tawny Pippet, Whinchat and Black and Griffon Vultures overhead. The best find however was a single Stone Curlew that stood almost motionless for at least 5 minutes. A walk to Cala de Sant Vicenc turned up a surprise Bonelli's Eagle above the cliffs.

Wednesday 22 May - Ternelles valley - this excursion may not be everyone's cup of tea as you spend over 4 hours walking up the valley with a guide and a small group of other people most of which were not birders. Nevertheless, great views of Black Vultures (5), 3 of which perched on the side of the cliffs giving everyone great views through the scope. Several views of Booted Eagles.

Thursday 23 May - Cuber - after walking over the dam from the east bank we heard an unfamiliar song and after standing around for a few minutes we eventually found a male Subalpine Warbler in the shrubbery. Two Griffon Vultures soared overhead. Along the west bank we heard the kyee-kyee-kyee of the Wryneck although we were unable to find the bird. On the way to Cuber early morning just after Lluc we had a Pine Marten run across the road in front of us. In the afternoon a quick visit to Boquer Valley produced a Balearic Warbler.

Friday 24 May - S'Albufereta - behind the Club Pollentia resort we found Yellow and a Blue-headed Wagtail. Whilst walking to the hide behind the swimming pool in the ditch to the right there was a Viper.

All in all, a successful trip, with thanks to Christina at La Gola for pointing us in the right directions on occasions.
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 19:29   #648
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Majorca April 2019

Couple more shots of the rodent, didn't see any dark around the eye so think maybe a roof rat that Christina has posted.
Water rail 27th albufereta.
Hoopoe 27th salbufera.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4987 (640x457).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	696126  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4996 (640x459).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	696127  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5201.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	696128  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5491 (640x458).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	696129  
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 13:06   #649
dipperone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCath View Post
After seven days at Puerto de Pollenca, just a summary of our visit:

Firstly two unsavoury experiences - at the S'Albufereta near Torrent de Sant Jordi on the main road, we were targeted by pickpockets who got very close to us but we had our wits about us and kept a good distance from them. Later in the week on the Friday at Alcudia Old Town whilst awaiting a bus a team of pickpockets tried again. This time getting much closer before I spotted the hand manoeuvre. We made a commotion and they disappeared rapidly.

Sunday 19 May - S'Albufereta's back lanes - produced a single Bee-eater, Squacco, a flypast Hoopoe, a single Woodchat Shrike and 2 Booted Eagles.

Monday 20 May - Albufera - Night Heron after much hard work, 6 Eleanora Falcons, half a dozen Bee-eaters at Son Bosc, Glossy Ibis, a successful hunting Osprey and Zitting Cisticola (I've always wanted to type this!).

Tuesday 21 May - S'Albufereta, Can Cuarrassa - walking along the lanes there were Thekla Larks, just 1 Tawny Pippet, Whinchat and Black and Griffon Vultures overhead. The best find however was a single Stone Curlew that stood almost motionless for at least 5 minutes. A walk to Cala de Sant Vicenc turned up a surprise Bonelli's Eagle above the cliffs.

Wednesday 22 May - Ternelles valley - this excursion may not be everyone's cup of tea as you spend over 4 hours walking up the valley with a guide and a small group of other people most of which were not birders. Nevertheless, great views of Black Vultures (5), 3 of which perched on the side of the cliffs giving everyone great views through the scope. Several views of Booted Eagles.

Thursday 23 May - Cuber - after walking over the dam from the east bank we heard an unfamiliar song and after standing around for a few minutes we eventually found a male Subalpine Warbler in the shrubbery. Two Griffon Vultures soared overhead. Along the west bank we heard the kyee-kyee-kyee of the Wryneck although we were unable to find the bird. On the way to Cuber early morning just after Lluc we had a Pine Marten run across the road in front of us. In the afternoon a quick visit to Boquer Valley produced a Balearic Warbler.

Friday 24 May - S'Albufereta - behind the Club Pollentia resort we found Yellow and a Blue-headed Wagtail. Whilst walking to the hide behind the swimming pool in the ditch to the right there was a Viper.

All in all, a successful trip, with thanks to Christina at La Gola for pointing us in the right directions on occasions.
Just got back from Mallorca. I was also a target for pick pockets in Alcudia Old Town last Tuesday. Twice I managed to avoid them, but caught off guard on the third and they took my wallet which was in a studded pocket in my cargo trousers. Felt a nip and then gone in seconds. Only lost 2 credit/debit cards that were cancelled within a minute of their loss and about 40 Euros. Please beware of you're visiting here especially on market day which is Sundays and Tuesdays.
On the birding front, saw some good stuff. Didn't see any Balearic Warbler as I have given up searching for them - there's too much else to look for anyway. I only met one couple who actually saw any birds near the viewing platform at Son Real. I didn't bother with the Boquer Valley either. There are far too many people these days about for my liking. Shame as it's a fab scenic spot if nothing else.
Highlights included a flock of 63 Eleonora's Falcons over the South side of Albufera and the escaped Golden Eagle being mobbed by 5 Marsh Harriers
Also a female Red footed Falcon in the middle of Can Pickafort in an empty field scoped from my hotel balcony.
I didn't post any daily sightings as I got a little fed up of receiving emails from private companies who had read my earlier posting and were aware that I was in Mallorca. That's what you get from public forums. Still love The place to death but will not be contributing anything further to the forum due to these intrusions.
Rhys
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 14:11   #650
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipperone View Post
I didn't post any daily sightings as I got a little fed up of receiving emails from private companies who had read my earlier posting and were aware that I was in Mallorca. That's what you get from public forums. Still love The place to death but will not be contributing anything further to the forum due to these intrusions.
Rhys
I've never had this problem and I don't recall anyone mentioning it previously (although I may be wrong). Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge than I may be able to suggest something as it would be a shame to lose your records.
Martin

Last edited by honeym : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 17:59.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: