Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2019

Old Saturday 3rd August 2019, 23:04   #551
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Blood and sand, Ken!! B

Absolutely amazing!!
Unbe-knowing to me H!...I subsequently found out via a colleague and Twitter, that a record number of different CNís have been rung this season to the SE of moi between Northward Hill (RSPB) and the Hoo peninsula 100+ so far this season!

Old Sunday 4th August 2019, 16:15   #552
Warixenjalka

I sat on Sauna's porch, when I heard firstly harsh voice, then something similar as Hobby's (or some other raptors) voice, but not quite that. I run to the yard and saw adult and juvenile:

#64. Caspian Terns - fly over. It was close that I dipped this species this year.
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 258 (Terek Sandpiper), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Rough-legged Buzzard), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 09:27   #553
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
I sat on Sauna's porch, when I heard firstly harsh voice, then something similar as Hobby's (or some other raptors) voice, but not quite that. I run to the yard and saw adult and juvenile:

#64. Caspian Terns - fly over. It was close that I dipped this species this year.
Harsh voice here too Wari, but Nutcracker not Caspian Tern (still I can dream...).
August is when things start to move again, I've seen the first Common Redstarts and Firecrest since spring, plus just now a smart

76 Willow Warbler

I usually see or hear one or two on Spring passage but missed them this year.
Another feature of early August is the appearance of non-breeding Hobbies, four different individuals in the past three days,they look like 2nd year birds to me (see photo of one of them).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F hoberau 2 A C 3.8.19.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	701606  
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 15:11   #554
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Unbe-knowing to me H!...I subsequently found out via a colleague and Twitter, that a record number of different CNís have been rung this season to the SE of moi between Northward Hill (RSPB) and the Hoo peninsula 100+ so far this season!

I've only ever seen one! Great garden bird for sure.

74. Cedar Waxwing They've been in the area a lot, just had to be in outside at the right time to hear them and see them fly over.

The young warblers are starting to come through now, and there are a couple of species I missed in the garden earlier in the year.
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 15:12   #555
Toby Tyke

First addition fo quite a while.
76. Garden warbler.
A couple with the roving tit/ warbler flock patrolling the hedgerow at the side of my house.
Still not seen a hobby from the garden this year.
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 19:11   #556
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post

I
Another feature of early August is the appearance of non-breeding Hobbies, four different individuals in the past three days,they look like 2nd year birds to me (see photo of one of them).
Yes, looks like a 2nd calendar year bird. Interesting. Do you think they're local (ish) or passage birds? Here the young are just fledging, or soon to be fledged, and these families won't move south for another six weeks at least.
Are you seeing Swifts passing too?
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 19:42   #557
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Hobbies

I'm assuming that they're just opportunist wanderers, both here and at our old place (both houses at over 1,000metres alt with no breeding pairs close by that I ever found) the very end of July and first two weeks of August sees this happening, Hobbies with plenty of time on their hands (so no young to feed) plus when I get a decent view always seem to be these immature types with 'washed out trousers' and upperparts not as smart greyish as adults but not the browner, white flecked feathers of juveniles (still too early for fledging by a couple of weeks anyway). No doubt somewhere in Europe there'll be a project to satellite tag Hobbies, it would be interesting to discover the movements of 2nd year birds!
The groups of Swifts stopped passing about a week ago, since then just ones or twos each day.
Cheers
Richard
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 12:48   #558
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Well, I've just aged the female bird of my pair - she's 2nd calendar year!
Only 5% of breeding females are this young. And that might explain the infertile egg amongst the clutch.
Also, she lifts her right leg off the perch whilst resting - and one of last year's juveniles, post-fledge, had a gammy right leg - it could be that bird - now mated with her father!!
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 13:11   #559
KenM

An early 6am start this morning (warm and still), as the sun hit the Ash tree a couple of movements where I logged Willow Warbler, then lower down in the Hawthorn two more movements, hope you'll forgive my ''usual'' high resolution shots , both in the space of two minutes, Common Whitethroat and Garden Warbler, should put me on 77.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1990621.jpeg   CW.1..jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	701725  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1990613.jpeg    Wobbler 1..jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	701726  
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 13:16   #560
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

A nice double whammy there Ken, every time I think I may have a skulking Whitethroat or Garden Warbler in the hawthorn edging our field it turns out to be a female/juv Blackcap
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 14:43   #561
KenM

Quote:
A nice double whammy there Ken, every time I think I may have a skulking Whitethroat or Garden Warbler in the hawthorn edging our field it turns out to be a female/juv Blackcap
FWIW Richard....giving away trade secrets here if the forecast is for little/to no wind and HP, then an early start can catch migrants on the move, not just today but earlier in the week I had most activity between 6.15-7.15am after which it tailed off (stuff still moving) but fewer movements.

Iím not expecting any more regular trans Saharanís says he...who doesnít get either of those on a regular annual basis...I suppose Iíll have to wait for the ďraresĒ now.
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 19:47   #562
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
I've only ever seen one! Great garden bird for sure.

74. Cedar Waxwing They've been in the area a lot, just had to be in outside at the right time to hear them and see them fly over.

The young warblers are starting to come through now, and there are a couple of species I missed in the garden earlier in the year.
Only a matter of time Jasper before you leave me trailing in your wake, for me everything now is even more of a bonus!
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 16:50   #563
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
FWIW Richard....giving away trade secrets here if the forecast is for little/to no wind and HP, then an early start can catch migrants on the move, not just today but earlier in the week I had most activity between 6.15-7.15am after which it tailed off (stuff still moving) but fewer movements.
It's probably an altitude thing (cooler at dawn, no insects moving?), but here it's often a bit later before things start appearing. After a busy morning of chores I was having a lazy afternoon scanning the mountains to our East and was pleased to see the Short-toed Eagle hunting as eight Griffon Vultures and c50 Alpine Choughs wheeled around. Then a violent and windy thunderstorm ripped through, followed by the return of the calm, with it appeared not one, but two

77 Spotted Flycatcher

Two days later than last year's first one. Funnily enough to begin with they were by the famous hawthorn to which I have previously referred. After a bit of flycatching they both flew towards the house, perching briefly at the top of the overgrown leylandii (due to be chopped down this autumn), whereupon one of them launched a mock attack on the other (see photo). All good fun!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	g g 11.8.2019.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	701957  
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 19:00   #564
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Only a matter of time Jasper before you leave me trailing in your wake, for me everything now is even more of a bonus!
Well, according to numbers, I have another 9 species to catch up with my total from last year, but I'm struggling to work out what they would be!

One warbler down though, with the nicest view I've had of 75 Canada Warbler whilst at home. Photo taken from my armchair - lazy birding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canada lovely small.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	701960  
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 22:50   #565
KenM

Quote:
It's probably an altitude thing (cooler at dawn, no insects moving?), but here it's often a bit later before things start appearing. After a busy morning of chores I was having a lazy afternoon scanning the mountains to our East and was pleased to see the Short-toed Eagle hunting as eight Griffon Vultures and c50 Alpine Choughs wheeled around. Then a violent and windy thunderstorm ripped through, followed by the return of the calm, with it appeared not one, but two

77 Spotted Flycatcher

Two days later than last year's first one. Funnily enough to begin with they were by the famous hawthorn to which I have previously referred. After a bit of flycatching they both flew towards the house, perching briefly at the top of the overgrown leylandii (due to be chopped down this autumn), whereupon one of them launched a mock attack on the other (see photo). All good fun!
A-h-h-h! beloved Spotfly, havenít had one of those for a few years now, used to be an annual regular . On the + side my 2nd Common Whitethroat of the year, certainly not of annual occurrence for me, should be less windy tomorrow thus Iíll keep the mince pies pealed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
Well, according to numbers, I have another 9 species to catch up with my total from last year, but I'm struggling to work out what they would be!

One warbler down though, with the nicest view I've had of 75 Canada Warbler whilst at home. Photo taken from my armchair - lazy birding!
Lazy Birding!....Iím all for that , Canada Warbler...a top drawer bird! Looking forward to seeing another soon...perhaps next year, Iíll be due for a Central Park trip by then.
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 00:59   #566
birdmeister

Happy to have a couple of migrants drift through this morning.

77. Great Egret (f)
78. Yellow Warbler

Must keep up with Richard and the others!
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 22:14   #567
KenM

A very Lively early am!...to include a long staying (2 hours) Imm.Sprawk, which in turn attracted the attention of many ''small-bies'' to include- an unprecedented 3rd occurrence of Common Whitethroat (which in turn sat above the Sprawk, right out in the open for 15 minutes ) in less than 5 days! Plus at least 4-5 Phylloscs. Chiff Chaffs, Willow Warblers etc. and a male Chaffinch! (only the 2nd one this Summer!) a great haul but no ticks!...not complaining though-big blue with assorted Cumulus and a yellow duster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2000088.jpeg    Imm.Sprawk 02..jpg
Views:	17
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	702154  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2000129.jpeg    Wobbler 01.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	702155  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2000111.jpeg  It Peckers belief...jpg
Views:	15
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	702156  
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 06:11   #568
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Autumn in the air, 140 Cranes passed over yesterday, plus Nutcrackers back in the hazel groves, White Storks departed, Red-backed Shrikes fledged young.

Nice collection of additions for the year:
114. Lesser Spotted Eagle
115. Water Rail
116. Long-eared Owl
117. Wryneck
119. Nutcracker

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th August 2019, 09:21   #569
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Autumn in the air, 140 Cranes passed over yesterday, plus Nutcrackers back in the hazel groves, White Storks departed, Red-backed Shrikes fledged young.

Nice collection of additions for the year:
114. Lesser Spotted Eagle
115. Water Rail
116. Long-eared Owl
117. Wryneck
119. Nutcracker
Nice indeed Jos! Iíd be lucky to see the first four but like you, we are seeing a lot of Nutcracker hazelnut raiders now. Our shrikes are also all fledged and moved off but apart from another Spotted Flycatcher this morning itís quiet migrant-wise.
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 00:44   #570
birdmeister

An evening nighthawk watch produced no nighthawks. Instead, I got a yard lifer, picked out by the 9-year old "apprentice"!

79. Cliff Swallow (f) (yard lifer)

I must say, I'm happy to see them, but it's really an overdue yard bird. Just needed proper timing and some extra effort.

Last edited by birdmeister : Tuesday 20th August 2019 at 00:51.
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 09:46   #571
BrendaA
BrendaW

Hello to all , at last I am back on here . Changed my computer which was extremely necessary !
70+ Starlings mostly very juvenile looking were around yesterday then suddenly all flew off .
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 11:44   #572
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Welcome back Brenda, I bet those Starlings will be visiting a vineyard somewhere near you!
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 09:34   #573
Warixenjalka

#65. Red Crossbill - Thought none of the three birds was red...
I think this was just a second or third time I manage to saw this species from my yard.
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 258 (Terek Sandpiper), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Rough-legged Buzzard), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 10:24   #574
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

120. Dunnock, investigating my shrike piles.

Nutcrackers very close to my feeders, Red Squirrel using the feeders

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 13:09   #575
birdmeister

Another one down! Excellent views of a

80. Merlin (f)

as it zipped south over the housetops. A brief warbler sighting suggested American Redstart, but I'll need a better view for it to make the list. Other highlights were a Purple Martin and a sky-high Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: