• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Hi Phil.
Short-toed Eagle is very scarce indeed in Mallorca, well done.
Perhaps you could let us know if you see it again, I’m sure plenty of local birders would like to see it.
Let’s hope it comes through the Cap in the south.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Phil.
Short-toed Eagle is very scarce indeed in Mallorca, well done.
Perhaps you could let us know if you see it again, I’m sure plenty of local birders would like to see it.
Let’s hope it comes through the Cap in the south.
Mike

Hadn't realized Mike - would have posted sooner. The scope is permanently set up on the balcony so am having a skywatch several time a day. Will post any interesting sightings here (no Black Vulture yet).

At last the weather has broken with some grey clouds and strong winds coming in from the north-east. That should liven things up a bit.
I can’t get to the Cap again until Wednesday but it will be interesting to see if there is any movement.
Mike

Early morning a very windy Son Bosc held:

2 Glossy Ibis, 10 Little Stint, 5 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Purple Gallinule, Little Tern, 2 Woodchat Shrike, Marsh Harrier

Last edited:
A sneaky two hours at the Cap this morning, mostly local Booted Eagle, Peregrine, Red Kite, Kestrel, Ravens and 40 plus Common Swift moving through.
Jason had a great morning at Salobrar with Sanderling, Whimbrel, Glossy ibis, Curlew Sandpiper, Temminck’s Stint, Black necked grebe and Alpine Swift.
Mike

I went to the salt pans this morning and not to the Cap. Two Black kites and a Marsh Harrier left the Island from the Cap and a local Common Buzzard all seen by Lalo and Susana.
The three Whimbrel were still at Salobrar together with Sanderling, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper and 7 Greenshank.
Over 40 House martins were on the wires and several Barn swallow were also present.
Mike

Last edited:
Is Bonelli's Eagle a possibility on Mallorca still? If so which location I'd most reliable? Visiting next week, staying near Alcudia. Thanks in advance for any tips

There has been a very successful reintroduction scheme for Bonelli’s eagles and they can be seen in various locations around the Island. By far the best place I believe is Mortitx.
Most people seem to see them when they go there. Majestic birds, known locally as Perdicera because of their liking for partridge!
Mike

Majestic birds, known locally as Perdicera because of their liking for partridge!
Mike

So happy they are settling in well in Mallorca.
Bonelli's Eagle is also called Aguila-azor, in which Azor = Goshawk. A very apt name IMO due to their incredible agility for an eagle. By the way, Bonelli's Eagle's favourite prey are the pigeons ;).

By the way Mike, I'm always checking on here, thanks!

Ps we always see one or two Bonelli’s eagles from the Cap every autumn although they are local birds. As Simon says, they are so agile and give a grand show when they are hunting, mesmeric.
Mike

Is Bonelli's Eagle a possibility on Mallorca still? If so which location I'd most reliable? Visiting next week, staying near Alcudia. Thanks in advance for any tips

I see them at Mortitx about 2 visits in 3 - they are not guaranteed, but it’s the only place that I have seen them. They are mostly around the bluffs at the far end, beyond the small reservoir.

Stew

Early morning at Marinstay produced Night Heron, Purple Heron (with an apparent broken wing), female Garganey, a very elusive Ferruginous Duck and a fine array of waders hiding in amongst the hummocks - Temminck's Stint, 2 Little Stint, 2 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Curlew Sandpiper, 6+ Purple Gallinule, 7 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper and 2 Stone Curlew, plus a variety of Plovers.

Last edited:
Thanks for all replies.

I tried Mortix last September but could find where to park (a couple of already taken laybys) or find entrance to reserve...any help/map that can shared? Do you need a permit too? Any particular time of day best? Thanks again, much appreciated

I see them at Mortitx about 2 visits in 3 - they are not guaranteed, but it’s the only place that I have seen them. They are mostly around the bluffs at the far end, beyond the small reservoir.

Stew

Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I always get there super-early and bag one of the few spaces outside. Parking inside is not permitted as far as I know. I did it once and my car had been rearranged when I got back to it. I know somebody mentioned parking at the bodega (wine shop), buying a few bottles then asking to leave the car in the space for a while. I don’t know any other way. Perhaps others can help because neither of these options will be suitable for all visitors. The side of the road is too steep and people have damaged their cars trying to park there.
Mike

Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I always get there super-early and bag one of the few spaces outside. Parking inside is not permitted as far as I know. I did it once and my car had been rearranged when I got back to it. I know somebody mentioned parking at the bodega (wine shop), buying a few bottles then asking to leave the car in the space for a while. I don’t know any other way. Perhaps others can help because neither of these options will be suitable for all visitors. The side of the road is too steep and people have damaged their cars trying to park there.
Mike

Not easy, but (famous last words) parking on the no-parking apron just outside the gates is usually possible and consequence-free. Alternatively, there is space on the right-hand side of the road about 200m back towards Pollenca. As Mike says, the earlier arrival the better. My friend Trevor did the park-at-the-winery trick, and they were quite happy for him to leave his hire car on their car park after he bought some of their (excellent) wine. If you do that you should walk back up the hill to look over some of the open area, which can be good for things like wryneck and cirl bunting.

Stew

A coupla bottles of local wine sounds a win-win to meB :):t:

I cycled up there when i last visited and had excellent views of Bonelli’s just on spec and i am unaware of the reintroduction scheme - an excellent area, like so much in that part of Majorca and i look forward to returning:t:

Laurie -

A coupla bottles of local wine sounds a win-win to meB :):t:

I cycled up there when i last visited and had excellent views of Bonelli’s just on spec and i am unaware of the reintroduction scheme - an excellent area, like so much in that part of Majorca and i look forward to returning:t:

Laurie -

There’s a display board on the wall of the winery about the Bonelli’s reintroduction scheme. They’ve bred at Mortitx (I think it’s pronounced Mor-teesh) for several years, and there are now nests elsewhere in the Tramuntanas.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back