• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski dG (1 Viewer)

Hello,

WOW , we now need Batteries , Electronics , Camera and an APP to watch and identify birds , I did not know that , (much laughing).

Cheers.

Ranging binoculars are made for ranging shooting distance with rifles, for target shooting, or hunting, and not birding.

That is common knowledge.

Jerry

I know I will lose some image brightness between an HT Zeiss 8X42 and the HT based Victory RF Laser Rangefinder.

It used to be a significant loss with the FL’s. Now with the new HT based redesign that’s been out a number of months how perceptible is the difference?

I am not a hunter but have various uses for laser ranging in Alaska including safety knowing how far the bear was from us in April (Pic 3).

Too close?

I enjoyed this post from a safety user of RF binos.

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
In relation to rangefinder binoculars . . .

The point I was making in post #11 was about the problems of integrating electronics - that are by nature ephemeral - into what’s primarily a long lived optical package
I drew attention to Swarovski’s approach with the EL Range verses the approaches of Zeiss and Leica, as a possible indication of a way that might be taken with the Digital Guide

- - - -
More generally, while RF binoculars may be primarily intended for shooting and hunting activities, it does not follow that:
- shooters and hunters are the only users, and therefore
- others involved in outdoor activities, including birding, have no interest in them

A few examples . . .

A quick search picked up a 1998 article by the US Department of Agriculture and Forestry Service reviewing different rangefinders for Forrest Service use: https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/98241307/98241307.html
(at the time rangefinder binocular were in their infancy, few in choice and prohibitively expensive, so the concentration was on monoculars)
And no doubt there are a wide variety of other outdoor occupational uses

Gijs van Ginkel has referred to using a RF binocular while in the field to help precisely focus a lens on a manual focus camera: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3824612&postcount=71

SteveTS linked to dwever, who has on several occasions referred to his particular use of RF binoculars in Alaska

And while for some to go birding may be as simple as either:
- stepping out onto the back veranda, or
- walking from their transport to a viewing platform
that’s not the case for most

Particularly for those hiking into either new or difficult terrain, where birding may be part of the reason:
- the ability to both see ahead and to take into account distances in planning a route, can be invaluable
- and even more so as part of observing and remembering the path already taken, so as to be able to easily retrace the way out

Even using rangefinders in the field just to check your estimation of distances can be both revealing and educational

And finally, has no one birding ever wondered ‘Just how far away are those birds?'

- - - -
With binocular rangefinders as with other electronic products, there’s the constant pressure on manufacturers to update them, typically by either:
- increasing existing performance, and/ or
- adding new features

Part of the problem for Zeiss and Leica has been Swarovski’s clear optical superiority
(which seems to have been due the choice of an RF system that allowed outboard mounting of the bulk of it, thus enabling the superior optical performance)

So the logical non-optical response for Zeiss and Leica was to build on ballistic calculation capabilities. In their latest generations:
- Zeiss only offers binoculars with their latest ballistic options (it seems the idea being that if you don’t need the options, don’t use them), while
- Leica offers a choice of models with or without ballistic capabilities (though all models have the pressure and temperature sensors, which are intended to aid the ballistic functions enabled)

In relation to Leica's choices, for a manufacturer it’s more economic to build one circuit board with the full range of hardware and firmware, and enable different features to create a range of models

John

Last edited:
And considering the above as preamble to getting back to the original topic . . .

A deeper issue common to much use of digital technology is that it provides convenience at the cost of competence

Often the trade-off is worthwhile. And with the Digital Guide/ Merlin App combination, reasonable trade-off’s would include:
- as a tool to provide an introduction to birding, and
- for conducting surveys

However as 42za observed ‘WOW, we now need Batteries, Electronics, Camera and an APP to watch and identify birds’
For many, a great joy in birding is the excitement of observing what could be a new species, taking careful notes
and then verifying the sighting by consulting guide books once back at their transportation/ accomodation/ home
Whether the immediacy of automated verification by the Digital Guide provides the same sense of accomplishment is a matter for individual judgement

And as an example of a more serious trade-off, specifically regarding my comments on land navigation, see the observation of the Australian outdoor survival expert Bob Cooper,
that ‘. . . dependence on high-tech gadgets (GPS devices) is putting people at risk in remote areas’ https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-09/back-to-basics-bush-skills-needed-says-expert/7312064

John

Last edited:
Offload the complex computer stuff to a phone app and use WiFi to connect. So essentially you have a small ldigital spotting scope, which we see on a tripod making it possible to get steady pictures. Will be interesting to see hit well it can ID all those little brown jobs we come across. Next issue would be field of view, the ease to spot stuff flirting about out the corner of your eye and get onto it with enough power to get a reasonable picture. You can get zoom eyepieces, so maybe they’ll provide that so it is suited to more applications. Be cool to put something like that through it’s paces.

Peter

Rollout training session in the US is scheduled for mid-March. I'll post a report once we've seen and played with it. We have not received pricing nor specs yet, even though we have the 2020 price list to upload next week.

Official announcement is coming on Monday 2/17. We will have it up on our site by noon Monday PST. We do have pricing and lots of info and photos, but Swarovski has told us not to post until Monday.

Last edited:
In Europe it is priced at SF42 money.
This tech looks great for a beginner, but surely not at that price, on top of buying binos as well, unless future birders are happy squinting through an 8x25 monocular. And I haven't seen any info yet about water resistance.

If the bird identifying app includes birds in exotic places like South America or Africa or SE Asia, it could appeal to wealthy retired people going on the safari of a lifetime, and who do not want to have to learn the birds they might see.

Otherwise at that price I am struggling to see who it is aimed at.

Lee

Last edited:
Not in a million years. (I'm a Swaro fan but don't even have a smartphone, so am not part of the target demographic). Also, "never buy the first of anything", wait until the technology is tried, tested and improved, and the price has come down.

Thanks for posting though Paskman, it's an interesting read.

In Europe it is priced at SF42 money.
This tech looks great for a beginner, but surely not at that price, on top of buying binos as well, unless future birders are happy squinting through an 8x25 monocular. And I haven't seen any info yet about water resistance.

If the bird identifying app includes birds in exotic places like South America or Africa or SE Asia, it could appeal to wealthy retired people going on the safari of a lifetime, and who do not want to have to learn the birds they might see.

Otherwise at that price I am struggling to see who it is aimed at.

Lee

IP 67 is level of protection.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back