• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

There has been some confusion here because there are some different terms. The young born this year I would call juvenile but was told this is not the term to use.
This year’s birds are very distinctive. I will try to find my old photo. I know Patrick has some super shots so if he reads this, perhaps he would be good enough to post them here.
Virtually nothing at the Cap this morning, very disappointing.
Just one female type Golden oriole flashed past the trees and three Swift species were seen, too far away to identify.
We are due a grand day soon, it’s been so poor so far this year.
Mike

Arrived at Palma this morning, and with Mrs B (Advanced Motorist!) driving I was able to see red kite and booted eagle from the dual carriageway north, and crag martin and a woodchat shrike along the road into Pollenca. Two more booted eagles were over Puerto Pollenca at lunchtime, viewed from our apartment roof, where there were several lesser emperors patrolling the gardens below us and a red-veined darter on our washing line.

Given the poor weather forecast I thought I’d do a late afternoon walk in the Bocquer while the sun was out and the winds fairly light. There were at least 3 redstarts in the valley bottom, along with blackcap and 3+ blue rock thrushes. A wryneck was calling from a dead tree towards the seaward end of the valley and two Balearic warblers were calling persistently in the scrub at the top of the slope to the sea. It took a while, but eventually I got some pretty good views.

On the walk back a peregrine was drifting along the eastern ridge, accompanied by a cronking raven and a few crag martins.

Nice to see that there’s still plenty of “Tyrrhenian” (!) flycatchers around.

It’s good to be back again!

Stew

A lot of species moult juvenile plumage in a short period of time say 1-12 weeks of fledging afaik. Look at 2 very diferent birds - Starling and Black-headed Gull. Both of these look very different from their juvenile pelage but both plumages are still 1cy. Quite where ‘immature’ kicks in is open to conjecture but i would say when a bird enters its 2cy and beyond but i suppose somebody, probably NuttyBoy, will correct me;)

Laurie:t:

Hi we coming over on 8th Oct for 10 days for our annual trip. We are staying in Cala Dor for a change which is an area we have not been too. We normally stay Alcudia/pollensa area so will probably have a couple of trips up there as well. Any pointers as to where to go birding on our stay. We have in the past been been to San Salines/Sant Jordi/Eddies track but have not covered/or know the South east coastline. i noticed Mondrago is a favoured area but by wife has asked does the park have toilets.
i read the forum regularly to keep up with whats going on(quite jealous at times) so hope there will be some decent birding left for us.
David

Hi we coming over on 8th Oct for 10 days for our annual trip. We are staying in Cala Dor for a change which is an area we have not been too. We normally stay Alcudia/pollensa area so will probably have a couple of trips up there as well. Any pointers as to where to go birding on our stay. We have in the past been been to San Salines/Sant Jordi/Eddies track but have not covered/or know the South east coastline. i noticed Mondrago is a favoured area but by wife has asked does the park have toilets.
i read the forum regularly to keep up with whats going on(quite jealous at times) so hope there will be some decent birding left for us.
David
Albufera has been good to me; long walk in and, if you want to visit the hide looking towards the power station, a long walk there too but in my opinion worth it. The scrape / hide to the left of the VC as you approach was very enjoyable - at least three purple swamp hen, glossy ibis, cattle egret, curlew sandpiper etc

I visited Mortitx for the first time a couple of days ago and I’ll be going back there - Bonelli’s Eagles, 10 x Black Vulture plus loads of warblers etc etc

If you haven’t already have a look at https://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com/

Hi David
I live next to Cala d’Or and can show you a few local places.
The lighthouse at Porto Petro is excellent for sea watching.
Mondragó can be quite good but is a nice walk anyway. There are toilets down by the bar on the beach which stayed open all year last year so I assume it will do again this year. There is also a temporary toilet up at the reception of the information Centre and another one in the Centre itself. Some good booklets are given free there too.
The salt pans are excellent and the boardwalk at Colonia Sant Jordi is well worth doing especially if the seas are dramatic.
Cap de Ses Salines will be in full swing with Honey Buzzard still going through and other migrant raptors too.
Mike

Hi Laurie
That’s very helpful and is the same as my understanding but it does get confusing when I try to discuss matters of age and moult strategy in another language. I’m really not up to it but I try and Pep and a few others speak excellent English.
Mike

Last full Day today:
Confined to barrocks most of morning due to thunder and Lightning.
From the apartment 3 Eleonora's, a Green Sand heard and a Juv Egyptian Vulture has just come from the Direction of Llenaire flying towards the Boquer area in the clearing skies.
A Nightjar was seen last night flying about 25/30m off shore along the pine walk towards the marina at 9.20pm

Black kite Circling Very low over Pollensa Park Hotel (11.25).Will post pic when I can remember how.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-113020.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-113020.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 98
The coastal bus from Pollensa stops a few hundred yards from the Albafura reserve and you can just jump over a wall (useful before it opens) and you are straight on the paths:t:

Laurie:t:

Dropped Mrs B off for the market in Alcudia and then made a brief visit to Maristany. It has pretty much dried out completely, and has got that “moonscape” look about it. A few common sands and little ringed plovers were running around between the lumps, and a wheatear was out in the middle. Best was a count of 28 stone curlews up in the northern end (perhaps more, given the hiding places available in the lumps).

At the Albufereta, from the tower I watched a storm approach and decided to move to the hide - arriving with a birding couple just as the spectacular storm broke. Thunder, lightening and hailstones hammering on the roof made for an exciting few minutes. A kingfisher stuck it out through the storm on the posts in front of an island. The storm clearly dumped a flock of greenshanks on the main pools - at least 8 were there, with much calling. It also wound up the local water rails, with several calling. I could hear bee eaters too, but could not find them as they moved off south.

The Ca’n Cuarassa track was unproductive - only a woodchat troubled the notebook.

I decided to investigate the 500m or so of the Ternelles approach road from the small car park to the security gates. Firecrests, a chaffinch, blackcaps and a blue tit were active in the trees, with crossbills calling too. On a better day visibility from near the gates would probably produce raptors, but not today!

Stew

Arrived Sunday, highlights so far, Yesterday Albufereta Purple Herons 4, Great White Egrets 4, Greenshanks 6, Flamingos 9.
Sillot, Wood 2 and Green sand 2.
Son Real, Cirl Buntings 2, Serin 3 Nightingale.
Salbufera today, Marbled Ducks 60, Spotted Redshank, Curlew Sand, Garganey 2 Purple Heron and a Lifer for me, a PINE MARTIN on the path close to the visitors center at 11:30 not long after the thunder storm looking wet through.
Steve.

Another great Holiday in Majorca. Some nice unexpected surprises, namely Scop's Owl calling again in the town, 42 Stone Curlew together and a migrant Robin.
Passage wise, 3 Egyptian Vulture, Male Monties, Black Kite, a Bonelli's Warbler, Nightjar and an Ortolan was a good tally.
Also the usual suspects that are always great to see. No Bee-eaters despite numbers reported going through was the only disappointment.
Looking forward to our next visit already.
Good Birding, Jonathan.

Heads up to anyone interested in dragonflies, Mile M and I have just seen a male vagrant emperor at S’Albufera. Photos later. Leaving direchions at the VC.

Stew

Thanks for the info Mike. Normally tend to drive stop/start most of our bird watching. As my partner has walking problems especially over uneven ground and being out in the sun too long some venues are out.
regards
David

A great day out with Mike M in much better than forecast weather. The plan was to go to S’Albufera to help Mike to get to grips with dragonflies, but we didn’t for a moment imagine that we’d be in on the finding and identification of a vagrant emperor! A group of Belgian birders had found, and with their leader Johan were identifying this insect. With one look I knew we were looking at a male vagrant emperor - much jigging and high-fiveing followed! Although it appears on the Mallorca list, when I did a previous extensive literature search I couldn’t find a single attributable record of this irruptive species, so at the very least it’s a mega dragonfly rarity for the island.

Birds were OK too! Lots of marbled duck on Sa Roca (50+), a nice selection of waders at Es Cibollar II including ruff, redshank, greenshank and spotted redshank, with osprey and purple heron for back-up.

We called at Maristany, where last night’s storm had restored the water levels a little. Here a flock of 40+ swifts moved through with at least 2 pallid amongst them, and a hirundine flock also came through with a couple of sand martins in their number. Yellow wags (2) and a reed bunting were probably also passing through.

A brief stop at the tower at the Albufereta where we saw a great white egret was a nice finish to the day.

Stew

Attachments

• 561769A2-BE78-4AEA-AB22-53827C66311F.jpg
    561769A2-BE78-4AEA-AB22-53827C66311F.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 101
  • 13BC420D-A6AB-4B53-B269-20C6274153FD.jpg
    13BC420D-A6AB-4B53-B269-20C6274153FD.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back