• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread 2019 (1 Viewer)

Last couple of days

25th

Fair Isle

Citrine Wagtail - Scottish rarity
Honey Buzzard - Shetland rarity

26th

Mainland

Greenish Warbler - Scottish rarity (locally assessed in Shetland)
Mandarin - Shetland rarity

There was a Mandarin on Fair Isle a couple weeks back, is that the Mandarin you refer to as Shetland Mainland or had it relocated from Fair Isle?

There was a Mandarin on Fair Isle a couple weeks back, is that the Mandarin you refer to as Shetland Mainland or had it relocated from Fair Isle?

Hi Steve,

No this was at Hillwell, no idea if it is the same bird.

I don't think the Fair Isle one was ever put on the WhatsApp group, and I tend to backfill from the Shetland Bird Club website which doesn't include Fair Isle records. If I have time I will check the FIBO website going forward, but I guess only Shetland rarities would get missed.

You on Fair Isle this autumn? I am on for a week late on.

Stephen

There a few Fair Isle birds that probably wouldn't make to the Shetland Whatsapp groups though Susannah and Deryk do often put the best bits out there.
The Mandarin was on the 13th, 14th & 18th August (only the 4th for Fair Isle).
Blyths Reed Warbler on 18th & 20th August
Honey Buzzard 25th August
Corncrake 25th August (don't think this qualifies but added it here just in case)
Citrine Wagtail 26th & 27th August
Greenish Warbler 27th August

I'll be in the isle from 5th October till the 25th, a little later than I would have liked to have arrived but given the situation with no Obs this year I'll take what I can get.

Fingers crossed for easterlies

There a few Fair Isle birds that probably wouldn't make to the Shetland Whatsapp groups though Susannah and Deryk do often put the best bits out there.
The Mandarin was on the 13th, 14th & 18th August (only the 4th for Fair Isle).
Blyths Reed Warbler on 18th & 20th August
Honey Buzzard 25th August
Corncrake 25th August (don't think this qualifies but added it here just in case)
Citrine Wagtail 26th & 27th August
Greenish Warbler 27th August

I'll be in the isle from 5th October till the 25th, a little later than I would have liked to have arrived but given the situation with no Obs this year I'll take what I can get.

Fingers crossed for easterlies

Steve,

As you say Corncrake doesn't count, the rest are all above except the Greenish which I hadn't got to.

I overlap on Fair Isle so will hopefully get to meet you.

Stephen

27 August

Mainland

Pallid Harrier - national rarity
Citrine Wagtail - Scottish rarity
Greenish Warbler - Scottish rarity*

Fair Isle

Greenish Warbler - Scottish rarity*

* Locally assessed in Shetland

August cumulative totals

Mainland 5, 5, 5
Unst 1, 3, 4
Fair Isle 0, 4, 2
Fetlar 0, 0, 1
Foula 0, 0, 1
Whalsay 0, 0, 1

With no score for Bressay / Noss, Out Skerries, Papa Stour and Yell. Excludes Two-barred Crossbills, which have been seen on all isles except Papa Stour.

September 11

Yell

American Golden Plover (second bird) - Shetland rarity

Mainland

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Shetland rarity

Ending a week without scoring birds, though there was a scattering of scarce migrants and the first Yellow-browed Warbler was seen. Presumably other islands will do better out of the hurricane but it will be interesting to see if anything rare is picked up on Shetland.

16 September

Mainland

White-rumped Sandpiper - Scottish rarity
Pectoral Sandpiper - Shetland rarity

Both found by Rob Fray at Esha Ness, presumably one or two other new Yank waders will be found over the next few days.

22 September

Foula
Out Skerries

Ortolan Bunting - Scottish rarity locally assessed in Shetland

Given a Little Bunting on Skerries just a reminder that I don't include these even though they are on the Scottish description list, as they don't actually require any supporting evidence in Shetland except when out of season.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back