• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Looks like John has gone to Barrow.

He has added Spectacled Eider.

But looking at the picture, are these birds spectacled eiders?
Never seen the species myself but these birds look completely different then I expected, more like a steller's eider?

Regards,
Pierre

I admit that I have never seen Spectacled Eider, but have seen many Steller's.

Steller's is a very lightweight duck for an eider that tends to ride high in the water and has almost a square head profile. These are much heavier and have a rounded heads. If you download the photos the spectacles can be clearly seen. I dont think there is any doubt to the ID.

800 for the second time for John! The Deans, having accomplished their goal of setting new personal records (and they wanted 750), are well-positioned to make a Continental run at Laura, Ruben, Victor and Yve. I'm not sure they thought it was possible.
Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    131.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    614.4 KB · Views: 35
So 37 to go for a new record. Checking most recent ebird records, it seems that the following are the 21 easiest remaining Hawaiian targets?
Java Sparrow
Red-crested Cardinal
Oahu Amakihi
White-rumped Shama
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
White Tern
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Maui Alauahio
Hwamei
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl
Indian Peafowl
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush
Newell's Shearwater

Then perhaps the following six?
Gray-backed Tern
Akohekohe
Maui Parrotbill
Akekee
Black-winged Petrel
Christmas Shearwater

So with the following six additional Code 1's and 2's down to less than 10 vagrants needed?:-
Great Cormorant
Purple Sandpiper
Least Grebe
Audubon's Oriole
Short-tailed Hawk
Dovekie

All the best

So 37 to go for a new record. Checking most recent ebird records, it seems that the following are the 21 easiest remaining Hawaiian targets?
Java Sparrow
Red-crested Cardinal
Oahu Amakihi
White-rumped Shama
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
White Tern
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Maui Alauahio
Hwamei
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl
Indian Peafowl
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Newell's Shearwater

Then perhaps the following six?
Gray-backed Tern
Akohekohe
Maui Parrotbill
Akekee
Black-winged Petrel
Christmas Shearwater

So with the following six additional Code 1's and 2's down to less than 10 vagrants needed?:-
Great Cormorant
Purple Sandpiper
Least Grebe
Audubon's Oriole
Short-tailed Hawk
Dovekie

All the best

Based on Johns writings - I still am not sure what he is targeting on his mega pelagic(s) out of Hawaii, but that could change.

He has one more chance at Flesh-footed Shearwater and Least Storm Petrel planned.

He has also said he will return to Barrow for Ross's Gull (code 3) and no doubt will target Steller's Eider on that trip.

A Barnacle Goose is back in Nova Scotia and there must be a Black-headed Gull somewhere surely.

Overall, I think he is targetting less than 10 vagrants - whilst hoping for more

It’s a pity that Midway Island, as a military base, is not (as I understand it) open for birders to visit. The distances (Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky - Henderson Field, 2118 miles) compare quite favourably with some of the transatlantic distances crossed by Nearctic landbirds, and being much further south, it might deliver later in the season, and possibly more southerly species, than the Aleutian Islands, though those are obviously much closer to Russia.

Midway does get birded for much of the year these days. There's often a US Fish & Wildlife volunteer present, and Island Conservation (nonprofit) maintains a presence there. They have a handful of records of Asian vagrants in recent years, including Brambling, Slaty-backed Gull, Wood Sandpiper, Lesser Sand-Plover, Common Snipe, and Pacific Swift.

It’s a pity that Midway Island, as a military base, is not (as I understand it) open for birders to visit. The distances (Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky - Henderson Field, 2118 miles) compare quite favourably with some of the transatlantic distances crossed by Nearctic landbirds, and being much further south, it might deliver later in the season, and possibly more southerly species, than the Aleutian Islands, though those are obviously much closer to Russia.

John & co. embarked from Honolulu on the 13th, made it out to Middle Bank Seamount via sailboat, and I believe returned yesterday evening. From what I've heard of the results, he will only have added one species, Black-winged Petrel, to his year list.

Does the lack of news from John since the 12th mean he is on a boat somewhere?

I see the Deans were still in Barrow, but no Ross's yet.

So 810 with 19 remaining Code 1's and 2's split between mainland and Hawaii:-
Mainland - 6
Great Cormorant
Purple Sandpiper
Least Grebe
Audubon's Oriole
Short-tailed Hawk
Dovekie

Hawaii - 13
Java Sparrow
Oahu Amakihi
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl
Gray-backed Tern
Indian Peafowl

Additionally 5 Hawaii Code 3's seen in 2016:-
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Akekee
Akikiki

837 sets a new record.

All the best

John's making progress in Hawaii: seven landbirds added in Kauai, including one he did not see in 2016 (Puaiohi).

Now at 816, still missing from Hawaii:

Code 2 - 10
Hawaiian Duck
Red Junglefowl
Indian Peafowl - not seen in 2016
Gray-backed Tern - not seen in 2016
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Red-vented Bulbul
African Silverbill
Java Sparrow
Chestnut Munia
Oahu Amakihi

Code 3 - 3
Mariana Swiftlet (3)
Oahu Elepaio (3)
Greater Necklaced Laughingtrush (3)

Five new additions (Red Junglefowl back-added). He still needs at least Greater Necklaced Laughingtrush from Kauai.

Now at 821, still missing from Hawaii:

Code 2 - 5
Gray-backed Tern - not seen in 2016
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Red-vented Bulbul
African Silverbill
Oahu Amakihi

Code 3 - 3
Mariana Swiftlet
Oahu Elepaio
Greater Necklaced Laughingtrush

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back