• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Hopefully going to be in Norfolk fairly soon ……… is the roped-off area at Holkham Gap easy to find (for Shore Lark and Snow Bunting)?...…….

Hopefully going to be in Norfolk fairly soon ……… is the roped-off area at Holkham Gap easy to find (for Shore Lark and Snow Bunting)?...…….

It's fairly easy - head towards the beach from Lady Anne's Drive (the path is mainly a boardwalk) and then head East (turn right) after you go down some steps. Keep walking until you come across the roped-off area. Walk around the roped-off area a few times and with a bit of luck you should see Snow Bunting and Shore Lark.

They were there yesterday cwpbirder. Snow Buntings more distant towards beach. Rough-legged Buzzard also at Wells.

Good luck.

Rich

Attachments

• F616C8BE-B655-4619-A2E0-33B54CE11F41.jpg
    F616C8BE-B655-4619-A2E0-33B54CE11F41.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi. Does anyone know where the raven hangs out at Horsey, or could it be anywhere in the area? Is there still another at Winterton? Thanks for any gen. Hoping to look tomorrow.

On my daily Coronavirus-restrictions walk of 5km, a nice 18-strong flock of Whimbrel on a very recently ploughed, seeded and rolled large field. They had great sightlines for predators. They flew once, before settling, quite vocal and then wandered slowly over the reverse slope until only a head or two showed.
MJB

Garden and County tick.

Being an insomniac finally paid off at 3.30 this morning as I went to close my bedroom window. Instead of the "hoped for" Quail, only a Corncrake, crexing away. Walked down the street and recorded it, poorly, but conclusively. Maybe from the Wensum reintroduction scheme but marvellous to experience - and only 3 miles from Fakenham.

Due to the lockdown I have seen hardly any birds this year, apart from those in and over the garden. However, last Tuesday we went for a walk along Gorleston lower promenade and there was a steady stream of Sand Martins heading south. Some of them were skimming over the model yacht pond and dipping into the water. We returned there today but they was none to be seen. Would they they have moved on already?

Ron

Due to the lockdown I have seen hardly any birds this year, apart from those in and over the garden. However, last Tuesday we went for a walk along Gorleston lower promenade and there was a steady stream of Sand Martins heading south. Some of them were skimming over the model yacht pond and dipping into the water. We returned there today but they was none to be seen. Would they they have moved on already?

Ron

There was an unprecedented Southerly movement of Swifts last week. Someone in East Yorkshire logged over 40, 000 birds during the day, The Sand Martins you encountered could have also been moving with them. It has been suggested due to a disastrous breeding season further North and East.
I'm pleased to say we have some pairs of Swifts still here in the village, along with half a dozen occupied House Martin nests.

Thanks Pat. I haven't seen Sand Martins at Gorleston for many years, so I suspect they were probably on the move. We have still got some Swifts here. I saw about ten together near the seafront this morning and I can see about half a dozen of them flying about from my window at the moment.

Ron

We had a pretty average year for Swifts over the area of the house about 15 screaming pairs translated to around 50 individuals - I think the hot spell in particular came at a particularly helpful time - very few around now so they have likely moved southward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back