• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prisms! S-P, Uppendahl, Abbe-Koenig.. (1 Viewer)

So how do rifle scopes and cameras manage this issue?
Is it not simply a matter of adding an extra lens?

SLRs have/had a prism in the housing above the lens mount. A digital viewfinder camera properly erects the image with software. Most riflescopes are roof prisms aren't they?

Last edited:
Most riflescopes are roof prisms aren't they?

That was the question, riflescope cutaways that I've seen do not show any prisms, just lenses.
I thought the inverted image is re-inverted via a second lens, but don't actually know, so am hoping someone will give a definitive answer..

That was the question, riflescope cutaways that I've seen do not show any prisms, just lenses.
I thought the inverted image is re-inverted via a second lens, but don't actually know, so am hoping someone will give a definitive answer..
A riflescope uses optics to erect the image with two doublet lenses. No prism's needed. If you are wondering why binoculars don't use this simple lens erecting system instead of heavy prism's here is a thread over at Cloudy Night's that explains why.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/653361-why-no-bins-in-rifle-scope-design/

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Also note that scopes are 8-12" long. Bigger aperture ones weigh as much as a small binocular. Couple that with needing one for each eye.

Speaking of prisms I seem to recall the S-P coming out in 1899 and the A-K in 1905. I suppose that speaks volumes about the original design, but that seems like a pretty long stretch with no new prism types. Seeing what can be done with them, the R&D for new prisms may be overly expensive.

Last edited:
A riflescope uses optics to erect the image with two doublet lenses. No prism's needed. If you are wondering why binoculars don't use this simple lens erecting system instead of heavy prism's here is a thread over at Cloudy Night's that explains why.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/653361-why-no-bins-in-rifle-scope-design/

Thank you, that is an informative link. :t:
It suggests that prism less designs may offer an opportunity, but the tradeoffs involved have kept prisms the more economical option.
I hope someone does build a prism free glass, thinking it might achieve both better eye relief as well as a wider FoV.

I "WAS" (as in, past-tense now), gonna start & open a thread on several (TWO), brand-new sets of binoculars I've bought, which rather surprised me with their quality, put-up against their comparatively low-middling price.

(The company concerned are from Dresden in Germany & were more well-known for their cameras)
I looked up binoculars made in Dresden, and could not find anything but antiques! So, you have some mystery bins, as far as I can tell.
Ah, a mystery... with Dresden and cameras I would have to guess Praktica, though at $30-100 most would call their binoculars simply "low priced". I've never seen one or read about them here, but they could be made in China, and therefore similar or identical to some other brands.

Last edited:
Pracktica cameras are numerous in the U.K. I have had several, actually many.
They are basic, but worked well.

I suppose the 6x6cm Pentacon Six was also made in Dresden?
Again I have a fair number.
A low priced version of the 6x7cm Pentax SLR.
Interchangeable screens etc.
If the cameras are not wound on properly they can jam. They may jam if film is not in the camera when operated.
The machining is rather crude, but the Zeiss lenses were good.
50mm f/4 Flektogon high reputation image wise, 65mm rare, 80mm Biometer, 120mm Biometer less common, 180mm Sonnar, 300mm f/4 Sonnar.
Also the 500mm f/5.6, although mine seems to be f/4.8. It has pinched optics, but could be good if the lenses were freed up a bit.
I have taken the 80mm Biometer apart and the machining is rather poor. Some have Zeiss covered up on the front bezel with Aus Jena.
There were also Meyer lenses.

There were Pentacon 35mm SLRs of various types and I think rangefinder cameras also.
The attraction of these cameras was price.
These cameras are very numerous.

There are Russian copies of the Pentacon Six/Praktisix. There is a Russian medium format 30mm f/3.5 lens, Zodiak/Arsat.

With cameras the lenses form inverted images usually, so prisms are not necessary.
It is only the viewfinders that needed prisms or mirrors.
The Periflex had a small drop in erector.
The Wrayflex had a reversed image except the Wrayflex 3, which had a pentaprism. Mine didn't work. Rare.

With rifle scopes the relay lenses seem to have dust visible on the lens surfaces.
Russian spotting scopes often have relay lenses and often small fields.
Broadhurst Clarkson spotting scopes use relay lenses. The rear eyepiece and relay lens component makes a fantastic microscope, about 20x flat field.
Same with the terrestrial eyepieces for their astro refractors.

My Yukon 30x50 binocular is optically excellent. It uses mirrors not prisms, but is let down by poor lens coatings and ordinary mirrors. It could be very good if properly fully multicoated.
Mirrors would need to be high quality and there may be problems with light scatter.

I suppose some straight spotters use Porroprisms.
I used my 150mm Maksutov with a Porroprism adapter for terrestrial use.

Although my astro scopes were usually inverted image, I used prisms for terrestrial use.
Despite non phase coated adapters being condemned here, I find the views perfectly acceptable.

Similarly for astro use I find non phase coated binoculars perfectly acceptable also.

Later Practika or Practica binoculars seem indeed to be Chinese There are umpteen models. Badge engineering. The Praktica camera lenses are Japanese or maybe Chinese.

The best camera actually made in East Gemany was the 35mm full frame Pentacon Super possibly 1968 to 1972?
I see asking prices now of £2,500, but I don't know how much they actually change hands for.

After the Pentacon Super the Japanese camera technology was something Pentacon could not compete with.

Zeiss West made very good, but expensive cameras and of course Hassleblad in Sweden using Zeiss lenses.

I had a Zeiss Flektogon 20mm lens adapted to Minolta and it was indeed a good lens for its time.
However, Minolta's own 20mm might have been better, although I never had one.
I had the 16mm Minolta full frame fisheye, which I think was made also under the Leica name with final quality control by Leica.

B.

Last edited:
Not much room for a focusing lens.

Lee

Well, since this came up as a question concerning an optical system...They come with one of two focus mechanisms. One is to loosen a lock ring and turn the ocular bell. This is an excruciatingly slow focus and will take several turns to get right. There is a newer faster focus with a ring on the end of the ocular, marked + 0 - that turns much quicker. It moves the eye piece lens back and forth. There is, on some scopes a parallax adjustment that relies either on turning the objective bell. or in some newer models there is a knob on the side. The usual practice is to focus so the reticle is sharp. There is a magnification range of up to 5x, ie from 5-25x or 12-60x. FOV is narrower, since you are not scanning areas with them. They also have extended eye relief in the eye being placed several inches behind the ocular.

No prisms here, returning to the regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Well, since this came up as a question concerning an optical system...They come with one of two focus mechanisms. One is to loosen a lock ring and turn the ocular bell. This is an excruciatingly slow focus and will take several turns to get right. There is a newer faster focus with a ring on the end of the ocular, marked + 0 - that turns much quicker. It moves the eye piece lens back and forth. There is, on some scopes a parallax adjustment that relies either on turning the objective bell. or in some newer models there is a knob on the side. The usual practice is to focus so the reticle is sharp. There is a magnification range of up to 5x, ie from 5-25x or 12-60x. FOV is narrower, since you are not scanning areas with them. They also have extended eye relief in the eye being placed several inches behind the ocular.

No prisms here, returning to the regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks for this Steve,

I actually meant 'not much room for a focusing lens in what we would regard as the usual position, if you used this arrangement in a binocular', clearly if this is what I meant, this is what I should have posted :smoke:

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks for this Steve,

I actually meant 'not much room for a focusing lens in what we would regard as the usual position, if you used this arrangement in a binocular', clearly if this is what I meant, this is what I should have posted :smoke:

Lee

I thought you had that figured out. I should have indicated it was a general info post on my part.

I recently read Ken Rockwell's 'editorial' on a used Leica Trinovid 10x40, that folks have been commenting on.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/trinovid/10x40.htm#compare

Ken Rockwell is amusing, but irritating as well. He doesn't even list an eye relief spec., instead just blithely announcing "Not a lot, but plenty for normal use!" I did find a spec for it: 12mm. That's awful, for me at least.

He also seems unaware that an Uppendahl is a roof prism, proclaiming that 'roof and porro prisms just can't compare' to the superior characteristics of the Uppendahl...

One more nugget from Mr. Rockwell:
Close focus on the old Trinovid: About 7.5 meters (25 feet), measured.

"If you need to get closer, then why are you using binoculars? Closer focus distances are a sham."

I guess he'd fit right in here at the binocular forum! ;-)

I also found a Leica catalog from 2017. According to that catalog, they are no longer using Uppendahl prisms in the Geovid either, having replaced them with Perger-Porro prisms.
https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/55328_Leica_SO_Mini_Natur_0617_EN_rz_low.pdf (page 34)

I don't expect we'll be seeing Uppendahl prisms in any new binoculars any time soon. Another prism bites the dust.

-Bill

I also found a Leica catalog from 2017. According to that catalog, they are no longer using Uppendahl prisms in the Geovid either, having replaced them with Perger-Porro prisms.

No comment on Rockwell ... ;)

Unfortunately Leica purchased the rights to the Perger prism from Andreas Perger AFAIK. So unless they decide to use the Perger prism in other binoculars, there won't be a binocular with this very interesting prism that offers all the advantages of a porro prism in a smaller package.

That's a shame.

Hermann

Hi Chosun, Thanks for offering up some concrete thoughts. Far more solid than my own! I was conducting a Gedanken experiment to see how far it can go, even fantasizing of a subscription kickstarter project, to hire Kamakura to build an 'edition' of bins to an 'idealized' spec. Or use other means to convince one of the major players to produce a 'retro' custom bin... This is not a practical venture... but interesting.

Meanwhile, you're already thinking specifics..

Standardization. You've addressed an element of it with regard to thinking about prisms, but ahead of that might be agreeing on a format... 7x, 8x, 10x, - 30, 32, 35, 40 42, 50...

Here's a collection of random observations in response:

Prisms:
I was leaning towards Porro, partially because I bow to the experience and expertise around here that I lack. In addition, the simplicity of manufacture might offer an advantage in terms of cost and the opportunity for less things to go wrong...

Plenty of good minds here, but consensus on anything is not a hallmark of this place. I figured on just digging up what I could find on prisms to learn for myself the whats and the whys. There's so many folks who could probably address many issues you bring up straight away, and be done with it.

A few more things to chew on:
You've probably read up on Henry Link's experience with his 8x56 Zeiss Victory FL..achieving a certain optical nirvana by walking between the aberrational raindrops, so to speak...accepting the flaws of manufacture (Zeiss!) and simply reducing the amount by increasing the size of the exit pupil relative to the entrance pupil. A novel approach with a minor drawback: the bins need to be bigger for it to work. Trying to leverage that advantage into another format leaves me thinking: 6x42, 7x50... ?

Moreover, reading a range of comments over the last few months, including Henry's own well done textbook example of an optical evaluation of a binocular for one of the recent Kowa BD xII deluxe turbo something or other...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=384387

Even Henry points out that the wide resolution deficit between the Kowa and his reference standard, the Nikon EII, is probably not noticeable until one puts the binocular on a tripod. Basically, that handheld binoculars can get away with lower resolution, because it can't be detected by most people when used that way..

Listening to Chuck Hill try to tweaze out the optical differences between an Ultravid Silverline and a Noctivid in an entire day out birding, or Canip doing something similar in a Leica shop, comparing the new Trinovid to some others, supports Henry's assertion to some extent, and also tells me that this whole dialogue is exactly what Bill Cook accuses us of doing repeatedly: Stacking BB's and hair splitting, And I think he's right. :t:

Doesn't mean its not fun, but there are a lot of practical realities to chew on...

First off, the current, excellent by most standards, performance of the top roofs is an indisputable benchmark. One can buy an existing product that is THAT GOOD. Drawback: costly.

Also on the market are products like the Habicht and the Canon IS lines, considered top optical performers by many, AND less expensive. Drawback: ergonomic dinosaurs, poor eye relief, narrow FOV on some models.

Then suppose we try to shoehorn Henry's optical strategies into this cauldron of variables...
What is the threshold of decreasing the exit pupil/entrance pupil ratio of performance advantage? I don't have a clue.

Simple example:
I've got a Carton 'Adlerblick' 7x50 binocular that I've owned for over 20 years. Orion sold them, advertised as long eye relief for glasses. Its got a 7° fov, weighs about 785 grams, and close focus is in the 7 meter ballpark. There's an
example of a 50mm Porro that has the weight of a portly 8x42 roof...A viable chassis perhaps to start with?

What if we bump up the specs to 8.25 FOV, close focus 3 meters, maintain eye relief @ 18mm, then how much bigger and heavier would it be? How much more glass does it take to widen, and better correct the field? What if we bump magnification to 8x50?
Would a 6.25 mm exit pupil be enough to grant the improved performance relative to a 7mm EP in daylight viewing? Inquiring minds want to know! (or not!)

Light Transmission: I'll go with a 3% minimum threshold for visual detection, based on some rational consensus on earlier threads I've read. Some of the top roofs are in the 94% range. Even the 7x42 Habicht at reportedly 96% won't likely be a detectable difference, just a numerical advantage on paper. If we aim for a wider field, we're probably adding more glass, which drops the transmission regardless of the prism size...

Attempting to fine tune color balance, flatten the curve, is an interesting endeavor. I have no idea which part of the system would make the most impact on it... maybe coatings.

Cat herding, BB stacking... consensus of format... consensus of anything...

That's all I got for today. I appreciate your interest and energy on the topic.

-Bill

Bill, most of this comes down to the esoteric art of cat herding and geomancy ! o:) :cat:

I have my own thoughts on a lot of it, but of necessity they have to remain proprietary until my remuneration contracts are signed and the money is in the bank ! :-O

We don't have to worry about BB stacking or practical limits - just shoot for the stars ...... the very last thing this poor beleaguered world needs is more medicore junk ! :brains:

I'm going to need 8.5x mag, 150m Fov, 18mm ER, and a secret sauce objective size. IR prisms will of course be de Rigeur - though not the wings out Porro I type, nor the physically long A-K's. Weight will be less than 2/3rd kilo which will entail reams of biomimmicry design and a BOM chock full of unobtanium.

Chosun :gh:

P.S. I think Dennis might actually BE Ken Rockwell, and not Howard Stern after all ..... ! 3:)

Last edited:
Hi Bill (post #53),

. . .
https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/55328_Leica_SO_Mini_Natur_0617_EN_rz_low.pdf (page 34)
. . .
-Bill

To clarify about the Geovids:
- the 3rd Generation open bridge HD's (pages 52 to 55 of the catalogue) use Perger prisms, but
- the 2nd Gen one piece bridge R's (page 56) use Uppendahl prisms

Or more precisely, there's no indication to the contrary in relation to the 2nd Gen Geovids, either in this or any other Leica published information that I'm aware of

John

Bill, most of this comes down to the esoteric art of cat herding and geomancy ! o:) :cat:

I have my own thoughts on a lot of it, but of necessity they have to remain proprietary until my remuneration contracts are signed and the money is in the bank ! :-O

We don't have to worry about BB stacking or practical limits - just shoot for the stars ...... the very last thing this poor beleaguered world needs is more medicore junk ! :brains:

I'm going to need 8.5x mag, 150m Fov, 18mm ER, and a secret sauce objective size. IR prisms will of course be de Rigeur - though not the wings out Porro I type, nor the physically long A-K's. Weight will be less than 2/3rd kilo which will entail reams of biomimmicry design and a BOM chock full of unobtanium.

P.S. I think Dennis might actually BE Ken Rockwell, and not Howard Stern after all ..... ! 3:)

Chosun, I rather think mention of the unobtanium BOM(b) is an indiscreet disclosure.
I do respect your proprietary interests, but please, please do share the recipe for your secret objective sauce. I know Ina Garten would if she had one...

As for the shock jock journalism, 6 degrees of separation, Birdforum conspiracy mashup, my current theory is that Rico is Dennis' Italian uncle, and Ken Rockwell is his step dad... Dennis' real father is the LEICAMAN, the shadowy figure that Ken takes so much pleasure in belittling. I think this explains everything! Mere conjecture on my part, though , and furthermore, the DNA test has not come back from the lab yet. ;-)

The elevator is out at work, so I've found myself going Uppendahl the stairs all morning, which gives me an appetite. I think I will have a hamPerger for lunch, followed by a generous slice of Pechan pie...I feel sorry for those Porro folks whose inhibitions don't allow them to enjoy such things. Perhaps its just a phase they're going through. Take my friend Abbe- The other day I knocked on her door. "Koenig", she said. I walked in and the place was lousy with binoculars.

Where have you been?

Prism, she said, reflecting internally.

Happy Friday

-Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill (post #53),

To clarify about the Geovids:
- the 3rd Generation open bridge HD's (pages 52 to 55 of the catalogue) use Perger prisms, but
- the 2nd Gen one piece bridge R's (page 56) use Uppendahl prisms

Or more precisely, there's no indication to the contrary in relation to the 2nd Gen Geovids, either in this or any other Leica published information that I'm aware of

John

Hi John, Thanks for setting the record straight. I looked at it more carefully, and you're right, they don't tell you in the catalog. A listing for the Geovid-R on Optics Planet specifies 'Roof', which indicates Uppendahl.
Also, the body contours of the Perger-porro Geovids are quite different than the Geovid-R.

-Bill

Last edited:
Chosun, I rather think mention of the unobtanium BOM(b) is an indiscreet disclosure.
I do respect your proprietary interests, but please, please do share the recipe for your secret objective sauce. I know Ina Garten would if she had one...

As for the shock jock journalism, 6 degrees of separation, Birdforum conspiracy mashup, my current theory is that Rico is Dennis' Italian uncle, and Ken Rockwell is his step dad... Dennis' real father is the LEICAMAN, the shadowy figure that Ken takes so much pleasure in belittling. I think this explains everything! Mere conjecture on my part, though , and furthermore, the DNA test has not come back from the lab yet. ;-)

The elevator is out at work so I find myself going Uppendahl the stairs all morning, which gives me an appetite. I think I will have a hamPerger for lunch, followed by a generous slice of Pechan pie...I feel sorry for those Porro folks whose inhibitions don't allow them to enjoy such things. Perhaps its just a phase they're going through. Take my friend Abbe- The other day I knocked on her door. "Koenig", she said. I walked in and the place was lousy with binoculars.

Where have you been?

Prism, she said, reflecting internally.

Happy Friday

-Bill
Bill - lol - I direct your focus to the Mexican Wave circulating clockwise amongst your audience. Round of applause !

Given the results of the binocular format survey so far being nearly evenly split between full and mid size, I think we can objectively direct our gaze to the those ballparks ...... we can leave the biro-tubed compacts, and Hairy-chesTed big eyes out of the equation for now. :cat:

P.S. I hope Abbe- is adjusting well to life on the outside. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back