• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

butterflies from VietNam (1 Viewer)

glennmanc

I've been struggling with these for weeks and have now given up trying to ID them myself using the internet. These first three are all from the DaLat area and the last from Mang Den (further north near Kon Tum). Can anyone give me a clue?

Attachments

• BiDoup2.jpg
    BiDoup2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 20
  • HTL1.jpg
    HTL1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DaLat3.jpg
    DaLat3.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 19
  • MangDen2.jpg
    MangDen2.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 21
No. 3 looks like one of the Mycalesis, possibly M. francisca, the Lilacine Bush Brown and no. 4 looks like one of the Arhopala, possibly A. centaurus nakula, the Centaur Oakblue.

Shane

You are probably right about 3 Mycalesis and 4 Arhopala because they are ones that I've already seen in DaLat (so probably common). There are 18 Mycalesis spp and 52 (52!!) Arhopala spp known in VietNam, but I guess most of them are rare. No 1 is quite striking - do you think it might be Prioneris thestylis? I just don't know how variable these are.

I've been struggling with these for weeks and have now given up trying to ID them myself using the internet. These first three are all from the DaLat area and the last from Mang Den (further north near Kon Tum). Can anyone give me a clue?

#2 possibly Taxila

You are probably right about 3 Mycalesis and 4 Arhopala because they are ones that I've already seen in DaLat (so probably common). There are 18 Mycalesis spp and 52 (52!!) Arhopala spp known in VietNam, but I guess most of them are rare. No 1 is quite striking - do you think it might be Prioneris thestylis? I just don't know how variable these are.

No, the underside markings are wrong! However, it could be Acraea issoria, the Yellow Coster, as its underside markings look very similar.

Shane

Yes, I see. The Yellow Coster is so obvious when you point it out. Also Taxila dora looks good if the wing pattern is very washed-out or bleached - the head and antennae fit. I've photographed both spp before in DaLat with much clearer pictures.
Would you mind having a look at a few more?
These 3 are all from much further north (Phong Nha/Cuc Phuong). They look a bit dull, but they are quite nicely patterned. No. 3 might be burying some white in the folded wings.

Attachments

• CucP2.jpg
    CucP2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PhongNha2.jpg
    PhongNha2.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 13
  • PhongNha3.jpg
    PhongNha3.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 16
No.1 looks like another Mycalesis species but not sure which, no.2 possibly one of the Vagrans and no.3 a Notocrypta, possibly N. curvifascia, the Restricted Demon.

Shane

A better fit is Abisara burnii
I see what you mean - the b/w spots on the rear wing are there (see black arrows on photo), plus the rear-wing bulge (the head/antennae are more or less the same as Taxila)- still pretty "washed-out" though (my other Abisara burnii photos have much more white markings). I assume the white wing edges are an artefact of the photo (?).
I'm sure 2 is Symbrenthia lilaea?
Yes, of course - The Jester usually shows its dramatic upperside, so I would never have guessed from the underside-only photos.

Thank you both for your help - no "lifers" for me this time, but very educational.

Attachments

• tempBirdforum.jpg
    tempBirdforum.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back