• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

I thought Bell Heather from a garden which at least explains why I get the odd True Lover's Knot. I think it had watched one of those home decoration programmes and was trying to spruce up its nest.

Bell Heather, that it. And ties in nicely with the moth ;)

Need to look my trap out. (And update my garden list on here tbh)

Bell Heather, that it. And ties in nicely with the moth ;)

Need to look my trap out. (And update my garden list on here tbh)

It's not Bell Heather as that flowers in mid- late summer. It's likely to be Winter Heath, Erica carnea or its hybrid E. x darleyensis, which are the common heathers currently flowering in parks & gardens.

No doubt as a close relative can probably support those invertebrates that feed on our native species.

5 Hawfinches high and North at 11.04am, no.66.

On a Sky watching Roll, my 5th “new” garden list flyover for the year....Raven East. no.67.

Last edited:
It's not Bell Heather as that flowers in mid- late summer. It's likely to be Winter Heath, Erica carnea or its hybrid E. x darleyensis, which are the common heathers currently flowering in parks & gardens.

No doubt as a close relative can probably support those invertebrates that feed on our native species.

Nothing beats a bit of actual knowledge ... ;)

5 Hawfinches high and North at 11.04am, no.66.

On a Sky watching Roll, my 5th “new” garden list flyover for the year....Raven East. no.67.

Nice one Ken. All rather quiet on the sky front here. Clouds, Herring Gulls, Rooks and Jackdaws aside ...

Aeshna5 & Dan

Thank you. My botany is legendarily poor with the lowlight being stinging myself on stinging nettles when I thought I was searching Balsam for Balsam Carpet! :eek!: A friend bent over double laughing.

All the best

April 6th.

60. Kestrel - flyover. Surprisingly rare over this urban area.

Another unsuccessful go at Common Scoters last night, but at least the moths started co-operating - all two of them.

Steve

Nice one Ken. All rather quiet on the sky front here. Clouds, Herring Gulls, Rooks and Jackdaws aside ...

It’s amazing what you can find when you spend hours scanning the skies for hirundines...that ain’t there!

Like Steve up thread another night without Scoter. :-C

I tell you what, to stop everyone going doolally tap let's have a competition. I invite all Garden listers here present to make their guess for what No 100 will be, the winner will receive a prize of a signed copy of my book A Guide to 200 Common Birds of Lebanon:t: Remember, we live at 1,000metres altitude in Haute-Savoie.
[/B]

My guess is Eagle Owl. o:D

Meantime in South-East corner of Finland:

#46. Chaffinch - Heard only at April 3rd - and many times at this point, but not seen yet.
#47. Red Crossbill - 2 flyovers

On first photo - our back yard from upstairs window. Then couple of typical garden birds; apple eating Gull etc...

Attachments

• ddbcIMG_2991.jpg
    ddbcIMG_2991.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 42
  • ddbcP1330212.jpg
    ddbcP1330212.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ddbcP1330417.jpg
    ddbcP1330417.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ddbcP1330528.jpg
    ddbcP1330528.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 36
Amazing to get 3 in a day:

65: House Martin
66: Blackcap

4th year since 1990 that I've had Swallow & HMartin on the same day.

A correction: Willow Warbler was not No. 50, which in fact was a calling Redwing over last night that the intervening sleep wiped from my memory but not my notebook!

50. Redwing 1 over East
51. Willow Warbler Male. In a tree by the brook there's a songbird that sings....

Cheers

John

A correction: Willow Warbler was not No. 50, which in fact was a calling Redwing over last night that the intervening sleep wiped from my memory but not my notebook!

50. Redwing 1 over East
51. Willow Warbler Male. In a tree by the brook there's a songbird that sings....

Cheers

John

Ooh and that makes me wonder......... why everyone’s adding new for the year birds except me:C

Another 30 minutes of garden and sky- watching has generated my second addition of the day :

27) Cormorant flying east

Plus Peacock; Small Tortoishell and Brimstone Butterflies, during the day.

Monday 6th

A frenetic and fruitful 52 minute garden / skywatch produced Sparrows and Starlings gathering nesting material; a pair of Greenfinches with the male in display flight; displaying Starlings; mating Woodpigeons; a female Sparrowhawk :

28) Female Peregrine
29) Grey Heron heard
30) Willow Warbler in the garden
31) Chiffchaff in the garden

So I need to revise my target again -and will try up to 35

Hurrah! First hirundines!

57) House Martin - half a dozen feeding way off to the north.

Also been enjoying watching a Raven tumbling up above the garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back