• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do the 8x30CL and 8x32EL compare? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
How do the Swarovsky 8x30 CL and 8x32 EL compare?
I can find a comparison between the specs, but what I am interested is how is their perceived quality in actual use, which has easier eye placement (so it's easier to "find a bird" when bringing the binoculars to the eyes), and which has the more relaxing view.

Ah, ok, from the specifications it seems the CL has a much narrower field of view, and is not markedly lighter, so I would probably be happier with the EL.

I can find a comparison between the specs, but what I am interested is how is their perceived quality in actual use, which has easier eye placement (so it's easier to "find a bird" when bringing the binoculars to the eyes), and which has the more relaxing view.
I have had them both and the EL is without a doubt is better optically than the CL. It has a bigger FOV, easier eye placement, sharper edges, less CA especially on the edge and a more relaxing view with the bigger exit pupil. One area where the CL is better than the EL is glare control. IMO and a lot of other member's the 8x32 EL's Achilles heel is glare. it will be interesting to see if the new Zeiss SF 8x32 control's glare better. I would advise you to wait for the new Zeiss SF 8x32.

Last edited:
LucaPCP,
I have here in front of me four binoculars:
- the first edition of the CL 8x30 and the newest CL 8x30
- an early edition of the Swarovski EL 8x32 (2006) and a newer one of 2012.
The best thing you can do is compare them yourself, take them in your hands and look through them.
The designs are of course different with different specifications . I have never had any rolmens with remnants of chromatic aberration in the CL's, since these are very very small and if your eyes are not trained to see it you will have a difficult time to see it.
Both are very attractive binoculars and there are cerain aspects you will or will not like. For example the open bridge design of the EL's is very nice in my hands, while the CL's have a different body design.
Some users report under specific circumstances glare in the EL's. I have never seen it in the mountains, in the Dutch pasture lands etc. That does not mean that it does not exist but it never turned up during my observations.
It can be useful to study the specifictions of both binocular types in the Swarovski flyers and also to read test reports of the binoculars.
I have published such reports on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, some in Dutch and some in English, but there are also other ones available on internet. And what I strongly recommend is: visit a good shop that offers you the possibility to compare the different binoculars, how they feel in your hands and in your eyes.
Lots of success.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you very much Gijs.

The back story is that my best binoculars are Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. I love them, and the glare control is also very good. The only reason I am considering 8x32 is for even easier viewing due to a larger exit pupil. But in truth I am undecided, whether the 8x30CL or even the 8x32would be enough of a difference, given how good the Victory Pocket are.

So I am very undecided.

Luca PCP,
An important factor can of course be the amount of money you have to pay for a new binocular and the CL is much cheaper as the EL. And a factor to invesigate also is: do you like the new strap connection system of the latest Swarovski CL's and EL's. That is something you must appreciate or not. After a long struggle I can live with it now, but I still prefer the classic lug system.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you very much Gijs.

The back story is that my best binoculars are Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. I love them, and the glare control is also very good. The only reason I am considering 8x32 is for even easier viewing due to a larger exit pupil. But in truth I am undecided, whether the 8x30CL or even the 8x32would be enough of a difference, given how good the Victory Pocket are.

So I am very undecided.

Luca,

Since your best binocular is the VP 8x25, it probably would make more sense for you to go up at least to the 8x32 and skip over the 8x30 format, at least for now. I have the VP 8x25 and the new 8x30 CL. and the pre FP SW SV 8x32. There's a much bigger difference in optical performance between the 8x25 and the 8x32 than between the 8x25 and 8x30. I agree with Dennis: waiting until you can try the Zeiss SF 8x32 would be a good move depending on what you want to spend.

Taking the price of the your next bin into account and regarding Gijs' input above, I also own the first model SW 8x30 CL which I still like more than most members here seem to and they can be had for @ $650 last I checked if you do a little shopping. But again IMO given your input above, there is not enough difference between the 25 and the 30 to justify even a lower cost 8x30 model in your situation.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I agree with Mike. If you already like the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and you want a bigger exit pupil the perfect binocular to get is going to be the new Zeiss SF 8x32. There is a big difference between an 8x25 and an 8x32 in ease of eye placement, comfort and low light performance.

LucaPCP,
To make your life more confusing I disagree with Mike and Dennis in the posts 7 and 8.
First of all the handling comfort of a CL 8x30 is certainly just as good or better as that of the 8x25 (I have tested them all). Second the small difference in exit pupil between 8x25 and 8x30 (measured 0,8 mm difference) will not yield a large increase in brightness, the measured transmission difference between both binoculars as measured by us is very small. The EL 8x32 is a completely different kind of binocular: first of all there is a size difference and a large difference in price. If your pocket is deep enough it is not a problem, but my advice would be: investigate both the old and the new CL Companion and how you like hem. I agree with Mike that the "old"companions are certainly worthwile to try.
Gijs van Ginkel

IMO they really "don't" compare. I've even used both some this past week. I'd rather have the 8X32 EL all day and twice on Sunday. If your pockets are CL deep, well that's just fine. But if the EL is within reach, it's the one. Perceived quality IMO is much more so with the EL. To me eye placement and target acquisition are completely second nature with the EL. That's EXACTLY some of the main things I really like about the EL. IMO it's still the cream of the birding binocular crop...for now.

The swaro 8x30 cl does show a fair amount of ambient glare in the field compared to some other bins. I just compared it (in a forest clearing) to the Nikon 8x30 MHG, and the Nikon was noticeably better in this regard.

If I have the opportunity in the next few days, I will compare the 8x30 cl to the 8x32 El.

My opinion: You can do better than the 8x30 CL, and probably for less money, or pay more, and get more aperture, and less glare as well.

-Bill

Yesterday, nice sunny wheather. I took a first edition CL8x30 on a walk through fields and forest. No glare seen at all. Plenty of singing birds however. Very pleasant binocular compact and not heavy.
Had time for some contemplation waiting for a couple of partridges, who let themselves heard, but they kept well hidden in de grass.
Looking back on my use of binoculars for different purposes:
Started with a 10x40 Leitz for hiking tours in Europe and North and South America. 10X was not optimal beause it was not always easy to hold it steady. Switched to 8x30 and 8x32 for backpacking, mountain walks, and trekkings. 8x30 and 8x32 were generally very comfortable to use both the Swarovski CL as the 8x32 EL. Zeiss 8x30/32 sometimes also were my companions. For safaris in Africa I generally used an 8x42 with ot without rangefinder . I admit 10x can sometimes be a better choice but I feel more comfortable with 8x.Why never 8x20 or 8x25 under thesecircumstances I ask my self. Well they were very comfortable for scientific conferences when the lettering of slide presentations were so small that I could not read it from where I was seated in the conference room. And in theaters they can also be a lot of fun, but I did not feel comfortable with them on walking and backpacking tours, although they are certainly of excellent quality.
So everybody seems to have his/her preferences and one has to find out what suits you best I think.
Gijs van Ginkel

Try both if possible. I have those and EL is better overall than the new CL. But the CL has its own beauty and strength. It is light and powerful too. FOV is a bit narrow than the EL but I have used it extensively in the rainforest for years, no problem in identifying birds etc. For longer walk with up and downhill, I preferred the CL.

Try both if possible. I have those and EL is better overall than the new CL. But the CL has its own beauty and strength. It is light and powerful too. FOV is a bit narrow than the EL but I have used it extensively in the rainforest for years, no problem in identifying birds etc. For longer walk with up and downhill, I preferred the CL.
Weight really makes a difference when you are hiking uphill doesn't it! That little CL is nice when you are hiking all day! You kind of forget that it is not quite as good as the EL. HaHa!

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents. I recently purchased the new 8x30 CL and had to return it. The images were very sharp from left to right but soft from top to bottom. Eye placement was excellent. Field of view was decent. But the CA was horrible. In the centre I didn’t see any, but about 70% from the center to the edge there was quite a bit purple fringing.

With that said, I have placed an order for the 8x32 EL

Last edited:
Just like cukleti, I must said I was also surprised about the CA in the new CL. On the other hand, I found sharpness excellent, I didn't have any problem with it. In my case it was the narrow eyecups what didn't make it for me. Otherwise, I found it to be very nice: small but not too small, very sharp and bright, and generally a pleasure to hold, but the level purple fringing was quite surprising.

For what it might be worth....I heard from a dealer that Swaro line will be upgrading (to complete with SF more )..hence 'perhaps' some price reductions , he is guessing $200 sometime in July for the 8x32 EL's. So if you are thinking about the EL, you might want to wait just a few months...He is attending a couple of webinars next week so might hear some news next week on what Swaro is up to, if no one knows now.....

Last edited:
All of the above should be balanced against the most pragmatic of criteria - the respective prices
A quick look at the B&H Photo site shows:
- the CL Companion 8x30 is around US $1.2k, and
- the EL FieldPro 8x32 around $2.2k, so nearly 85% more expensive *

The EL is Swarovski's premium state of the art binocular, and many would argue the state of the art 8x32 (though this may alter once the new Zeiss SF 32 sees widespread use)
The CL is a solid 2nd tier performer, with by comparison reduced specifications and performance

While the CL represents better dollar value (the law of diminishing returns is already well in operation at the CL's price point), the EL shows what's possible
And if you can afford it, the EL's going to be far more satisfying e.g. see Chuck's comments in post #10

John

* though alternatively, you could instead pay $2.6k for the aesthetics of the leather covered/ presentation boxed CL Companion Nomad 8x30!

Attachments

• Nomad 8x30.jpg
    Nomad 8x30.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back