• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

Just been looking at the new pricing structure on the Swarovski website could be time to pick up an EL at a having price as the book price is now lower.

Perhaps they quietly moved production to the land of windmills during the pandemic ;)

The forehead-rest appears to be an optional extra. How much does it weigh? And how much will it cost?

And does it really help? From what I heard it does, to some extent.
Another interesting question is the compromise pincushion distortion vs RB.

Looking at the specifications with regards to close focusing distance this has increased over the EL from 1.5m to 2.0m 8.5xEL compared to 8X NL and to 2m in the 10x. Still close focusing compared to sum. I’m surprised they did not keep it to 1.5m maybe it’s a compromise that had to be made for the new design?

I also noticed a brush and bar of soap comes as part of the package for cleaning the out side of the binoculars. I wonder why?

Last edited:
I also noticed a brush and bar of soap comes as part of the package for cleaning the out side of the binoculars. I wonder why?

That comes in handy during the pandemic. More seriously, it appears that the material used for the armor is recyclable and probably it requires more care than the SV's armor (EL's too?).

Last edited:
Jeez Lee !
Last time I saw a blue spin that strong was when I accidently dropped a box of Harpic cartridges into a flushing toilet bowl !! :eek!: :-O

Chosun :gh:

Noooo, it was the last time you had your hair tinted!

With ER of 18mm as well as the super fov, those eyepieces will be really heavy giving a strong weight bias to the eyepieces. No wonder they need a forehead rest.

Lee

I'm assuming that they're so much more expensive to cover development costs & tooling rather than any greater difficulty in production. I'd also assume that whatever trick they used to increase FoV is copyrighted so others will not be able to follow suit. I'm mildly surprised that so few people seem to blanch at an already very expensive top tier line becoming still more expensive. I'm pleased for them that some out there have their own personal magic money tree but for many birders what seems to be a superb instrument will be financially out-of-reach. If, as someone has speculated, the less expensive SLC range will be dropped then a line of binoculars even more expensive than the ELs may not make sense given the likely post-covid economic downturn (although obviously they were in development long before the contagion struck). Personally, I was hoping that they'd go in the opposite direction and follow other alpha manufacturers and produce a line below the SLC in price. Then again that step up in 10x42 FoV (one of the benefits that made me switch to 8x) makes them very desirable ...... where's my bank manager?

Someone at Swarovski must be a fan of old Ross binoculars.

In the 1950s and 60s they marketed the 8x40 Spectaross with a very similar brow pad designed to allow the binocular to be used while wearing spectacles.

Gary

Attachments

• 8x40 spectaross.jpg
    8x40 spectaross.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 160
From what I read and saw:

1. finally Swarovski aknowledges that FOV is important;
2. the huge FOV with those huge eyepieces and wasp-like shape could indicate a lot of weight is shifted towards the eyepieces, but Swarovski didn't mention anything about the weight balance. If it's 840g and the weight is shifted, it is all good. If the weight is at the ocular lenses, it's bad.
3. The focuser looks much more fluid (with connections at top and bottom) and I like the bigger ribbles. It almost looks Zeiss-like. I wonder if the number of rotations from close to infinite has come down as well in order to focus faster.
4. The close focus is not impressive at 2.0 meters, but mostly in practice the indicated close focus is conservative and I usually see 10-20% closer (maybe because I am nearsighted?). So I guess it's OK. Probably there were too many compromises to be made combining close focus with the FOV in terms of eyepiece design and focusing design.
5. The head support looks... interesting. I would like to give it a try.

All in all, a worthy binocular (finally) that I would consider buying when comparing the top of the line, but that price seems a bit... high!

From what I read and saw:

1. finally Swarovski aknowledges that FOV is important;
2. the huge FOV with those huge eyepieces and wasp-like shape could indicate a lot of weight is shifted towards the eyepieces, but Swarovski didn't mention anything about the weight balance. If it's 840g and the weight is shifted, it is all good. If the weight is at the ocular lenses, it's bad.
1. Quite a few 7x and 8x porros made in the 50s-70s had FoVs of 11*, 12.5* and even 13.5* (a Russian super-wide angle bino had a whopping AFoV=104*)
2. I guess you meant objective lenses.

1. Quite a few 7x and 8x porros made in the 50s-70s had FoVs of 11*, 12.5* and even 13.5* (a Russian super-wide angle bino had a whopping AFoV=104*)
2. I guess you meant objective lenses.

1. those were not Swarovski, no? I was talking about Swarovski vs. wide-angle.
2. indeed, thanks for the correction!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back