• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

don't be so rude! ;)

Suppose you are a very enthusiastic young (or old) birder having saved enough money to finally buy that Swarovision / Noctivid / SF you know you'll be using for the next 10-15 years, and this one comes out...
First of all you'll need to save some more but anyone shopping for the very best has one more contender to consider, and I think that's a good thing!

I suppose so, but I'd argue that if you are that keen c. 2000 euros would be better spent getting some field experience with a c. 500 euro pair of binoculars. Personal preference I suppose!

I actually have been thinking about buying a new pair of binoculars for some time, not because the 7x42 T*FL is letting me down, but because the longer I have them, the less I would be willing to risk them getting lost / broken / stolen during one of my travels. At least if I have another pair, I have 50% less chance (but 50% of having a very expensive SF or NL stollen / lost or broken :smoke: ).

Yeah I also thought about that, and there is a balance between getting good enough view on a once in a lifetime trip, and not wanting to risk damage/loss/theft to your top pair. A decent used 8x32 was the right balance for me.

Happily, I can also just not buy any binocular at the moment as I have better ways of spending / investing my money! And my 7x42 T*FL cost me around 1100 euro back in the days... You can buy 2.5 of those for one of the new Swaro NLs! Expensive views so they'll better be good! :king:

You and I both (purchasing our first house at present!), perhaps I'll just buy a second pair of FL's - if I ever have any spare money again! :-O

Have you used an EL SV for ten years so you know what it's all about?

Guessing not.

You are correct. I had an SLC for over a decade, and enjoyed over 1500 species across all four continents with it. I've not had chance to put my newly acquired FL through its paces yet (local birding only) but haven't found the edges to be an issue yet... hopefully I won't. A friend uses the SV, and I will admit it offers a stunning view for its size, but personally I just can't see such a minor improvement being worth the financial outlay, though others may disagree.

For many years I have been asking for EWA binoculars to deaf ears.
Finally, something approaching EWA has arrived.
I think that now cheaper competitors will produce EWA binoculars.

I have also been asking for 12x45. I suppose a high quality 12x42 might suit.
So long as the eye relief is not excessive.
I also don't want rolling ball.

The question is whether with Covid 19 quality manufacture can be achieved together with quality back up.

I would be suspicious of any binocular made at the present time, and would prefer one year old production.

And have the technicians lost part of their skill with time at home.

If I am still around I might consider the 12x42 at a later date.
The headrest might work if fully adjustable.
And does it all work when wearing a mask.

Posting myself in a large envelope for fitting might be a problem.

Regards,
B.

For many years I have been asking for EWA binoculars to deaf ears.
Finally, something approaching EWA has arrived.
I think that now cheaper competitors will produce EWA binoculars.

I have also been asking for 12x45. I suppose a high quality 12x42 might suit.
So long as the eye relief is not excessive.
I also don't want rolling ball.

The question is whether with Covid 19 quality manufacture can be achieved together with quality back up.

I would be suspicious of any binocular made at the present time, and would prefer one year old production.

And have the technicians lost part of their skill with time at home.

If I am still around I might consider the 12x42 at a later date.
The headrest might work if fully adjustable.
And does it all work when wearing a mask.

Posting myself in a large envelope for fitting might be a problem.

Regards,
B.

You can't get Rolling Ball if you are in a large envelope and wearing a headrest.

Lee

I have never seen a thread with this many post's in such a short period of time on Bird Forum. When Swarovski introduce's a new product it attract's a lot of attention from the birder's. You have to give it too Swarovski they are probably the leader's in optical innovation.

From those in the know roughly when are sample copies likely to be made available to reviewers ? Trying to judge when we might see some "objective" reviews rather than press releases

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have never seen a thread with this many post's in such a short period of time on Bird Forum. When Swarovski introduce's a new product it attract's a lot of attention from the birder's. You have to give it too Swarovski they are probably the leader's in optical innovation.

Try the Zeiss SF topics, and count the number of posts before anyone but a few testers got to see the binocular in real life... 3:).

Talking about cost may be a little vulgar, but £2781 is a rather shocking price.

...one shop in the UK was discounting some EL bins by hundreds of pounds yesterday ...coincidence?

... my small collection could instead be enhanced with a Kowa Highlander 32x82 for £2999
(only219 more)

Hmmm, still thinking my next aquisition will be the 7x42 Habicht

Not vulgar but realistic. How can Swarovski justify such an astronomical price? Given you can get a top-notch instrument for half the price (and a exceptional one for a quarter) I really do wonder whether they've priced themselves out of the market (or rather into a market so small it makes little economic sense). A sub-£1000 instrument would have made more sense.

Yes usually these is so little excitement about anything but this has everyone all fired up. This is as bad as the release and sale of the new Nikon D6 with Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 FL ED VR SR Zoom lens.. It is and was just as fired up as this is with a heck of a lot more in cost too. People who are going to buy things like this usually just do... SWAR is a great promoter of there product for sure like Nikon..

I just got an ad (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) for a BTX spotter with a peep sight and a forehead rest.

Could a forehead rest work at 60x??

Not vulgar but realistic. How can Swarovski justify such an astronomical price? Given you can get a top-notch instrument for half the price (and a exceptional one for a quarter) I really do wonder whether they've priced themselves out of the market (or rather into a market so small it makes little economic sense). A sub-£1000 instrument would have made more sense.

Hi John,

I think they own the complete high end market now.
Streetprice will be round:
2.600,00 for the NL.
1.700,00 for the SV32.
1.850,00 for the SV42.
1.500,00 and 1.600,00 for the SLC 42.

The Zeiss SF42 will be round 2.350,00 euro and the SF32 round 2.200,00 euro.

With the tsunami on trade in SV's this autumn these 42's will go for round 1.000,00 euro back upped with the famous Swarovski warranty.

Do the math.

Jan

I just got an ad (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) for a BTX spotter with a peep sight and a forehead rest.

Could a forehead rest work at 60x??

No, it can't (personal experience), which is why I mentioned it in my previous post on this thread. It's a ridiculous idea.

Poor techie guys having to do a PR piece on their own… I feel their pain! Wonder how many takes they had to do?!
Clever topical marketing and good to see they’ve widened their view a bit… “no edges”…. even the WX has edges as do my 82degree eyepiece bins. Interesting to see the same aperture to save on tooling costs. Stable views at 12x… with one hand, been doing that for ages (with batteries). Looking forward to real world comparisons of how earth shatteringly good it is…. And who is going to push the width envelope next?

Peter

Swarovski has the best service and the best warranty in the business and that is partly what you are paying for when you buy one. They also have the best resale and maintain their value better than any other premium brand in my experience. You are paying for cutting edge technology and the fact that the binocular is built mostly by Swarovski under tight quality control and not subcontracted by Kamakura like so many other binocular's are nowday's. Even with their astronomical prices they still sell five times as many binocular's as any other premium optics manufacturer.

Last edited:
Poor techie guys having to do a PR piece on their own… I feel their pain! Wonder how many takes they had to do?!
Peter

If you mean Stefan and Wolfgang I think they're marketing guys, not techies. Wolfgang was thrown off by a simple question about the prism type. Still, I couldn't help but like them. Their deliveries were quite the opposite of smooth "influencers". My guess is one take was all they could stand.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back