• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Canip,

You said "the NL appears compact". How is this possible ? Did you mean in comparison to the
EL or in general ? Looks like the same size as the EL in your photo.
It's a relatively large bino. I've seen some photos online of the NL
in peoples hands and it looks quite big to me.

I agree, that’s why I wrote „appears“, it is in fact the same size as the EL, but due to the much narrower „waist“ it appears more compact if you don‘t put it side by side with other binos (although it is definitely compact compared to the SF).

The mention of these being brighter than the EL SV seems odd to me; Swarovski only lists a 1% increase in transmission (likely not visible to the naked eye), so I wonder if it is more a comment on a change in color balance instead? The EL SV is very color neutral with negligible (to me) CA and limited distortion.

I'd be most interested in glare/flare/stray light comments as those are really the only consistent complaint (excluding Rolling Ball) I've seen/experienced regarding the SV.

Justin

Justin, post 43,
Brighter in my case does not mean more light. Brightness is a "psychological" entity consisting of:
-1- the amount of light entering your eyes (exit pupil+transmission)
-2- the overall color color balance of the transmitted light (the eye judges green or yellow brighter as purple for example). That means generally that a flat transmission curve over a broad spectral range is an important component for brightness. Something Swarovski but also other binocular producers have tried to accomplish and with great success.
Gijs van Ginkel

Justin, post 43,
Brighter in my case does not mean more light. Brightness is a "psychological" entity consisting of:
-1- the amount of light entering your eyes (exit pupil+transmission)
-2- the overall color color balance of the transmitted light (the eye judges green or yellow brighter as purple for example). That means generally that a flat transmission curve over a broad spectral range is an important component for brightness. Something Swarovski but also other binocular producers have tried to accomplish and with great success.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yep, that basically affirms my assumption that it is more due to color balance perception. I know some people find the Nikon EDG dark when to my eyes it simply emphasises colors differently.

Justin

Justin, post 44,
I looked into our files and the test of a 10x42 EL-SV in 2011 did yield transmission values of 84-86%. So it can very well be that the 10x42 NL (reported transmission by Swarovski as being 91%) I used today is brighter due to higher light transmssion in combination with excellent color balance.
Gijs van Ginkel

“Marketing salt...” good destruction! Given the development tome for this, Swaro didn’t chose to develop it under COVID, merely choose the time to start to recoup some of the investment. It sounds like they really have done a very good job, only a small amount of that magic salt!

Peter

PS even with 82degree field of view can you feel the field stop... more work for the Swaro development team...

Hi Canip,

Great write up:t:
What to add?
I'll just write my experience on the 10 and 12x.

Taking the NL in my hand it feels extremely comfy like a pistol grip. Where the SV felt elegant, it now feels bulky compared to the NL. Carrying it in one hand is a unique "sensation", something no other bin has caused so far. The pistol grip is completely responsible for that. It is oval where the hand is positioned.
The rubber on the eye cups of the NL is 2 to 3 mm flatter, compared to those in the SV, making it for spectacle wearers possible to come closer to the eye lens. These are also possible to fit into the SV.
The head rest works! Period. No question about that. Personally I didn't use the eyecups anymore but just used the head rest. Much more comfy and steadier.
No worries about the 12x factor. It is steady as a rock with the head rest.

The balance is like the SF. Because of the extra weight it feels more steady and sturdier built (Sorry Zeiss, read carefully. I write "feels sturdier built") compared to the SF.
Being sensible for the Rolling Ball, I checked for it but it wasn't there for me anymore.
At the very edge the straight vertical lines bend slightly inwards. I could see no sign of CA but this morning we had Dutch weather (rain) so that was no surprise.

Compared to the SV, the same view through the NL makes the SV dull.
IMHO the NL is a serious step up in contrast. Black is deep black and looking at tree leaves it seems they pop up in my view. I always joked about the 3D sensation of the Noctivid but I've "seen the Light" now. Holy Poly, this view is a different ball game.

Gijs was here also and the close focus for me was 1.9 meters and for his 70+ age eyes it was 1.8 meters but he is a black belt Judo so that must explain it.

The turn a round of the focus knob is 1.6.

Do I have a negative point to make?
Yes one.
Carrying the bin, my fingertips touch a nasty edge/rim where the armoring is glued together. Something what even doesn't occur at the cheapest chin bin:-C

I've been told by Swarovski that the investment for the realization of the NL was 30 million Euro's.

One off topic remark:
From ## 902748841 (this week) the ELSV's 10x42 are 3,3 meters.
As long there is stock the 8.5's are original.
Jan

Jan:
Impressive review, so you are saying the 8.5 SV is being discontinued ?

Jerry

I've been told by Swarovski that the investment for the realization of the NL was 30 million Euro's.

Jan
Seriously:eek!:!!! Is the market for high-end binos anywhere near big enough for them to make any Return on that kind of Investment? Perhaps I need do the decent thing and buy a pair. As an act of charity, like.;)

Jan:

Jerry

Jerry: it appears they are discontinuing the SV EL Field Pro series and moving forward with a cheaper, slightly redesigned EL Legend series with a reduced close focus.

Justin

Seriously:eek!:!!! Is the market for high-end binos anywhere near big enough for them to make any Return on that kind of Investment? Perhaps I need do the decent thing and buy a pair. As an act of charity, like.;)
Just in the US, alone birders spend 1.8 billion dollars's a year on equipment like binoculars and spotting scopes. More than hunter's spend on rifles. Add in the hunter's and just wildlife watchers and there is a lot of money spent on binoculars worldwide. There is huge market for optics.

Last edited:
Jan:

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

No, it won't be discontinued, only as long Swaro has stock, it will be available with the current close focus. There is no more stock in 10x42 so from the ## I mentioned these will have the 3.3 meters close focus.
When the new production starts in the 8.5 SV they will gonna have the same close focus at 3.3 meters.
When I get that ## number I'll let it be known.

Jan

That survey that reports 40+ million birders, or 20% of adults, has always struck me as bat-shit looney. I am a birder and not even close to 20% of the adults I know personally are birders... so I have always wondered how exactly a number like that comes into existence. A question like "Do you enjoy observing birds" answered "yes" makes you a birder? When you do the math on those numbers, $1.8 billion by 40-45 million birders is $40 per birder per year on optics purchases. I guess that's believable, I certainly know many birders who buy one pair of $200-500 bins and are good for a long while. I don't think $40/person/year applies to the demographic of this optics forum :)

Q) When looking straight ahead - are you aware of the field stops in your peripheral vision ? (and if so, what is the nature of that peripheral view ? No cheating by sneaky little eye movements now - just staring straight ahead at the centre of the field).

Chosun Juan, post 32,
I do not recall seeing any fieldstop staring in the image delivered by the NL's I shortly investigated.
Gijs van Ginkel
..... Swaro‘s claim that the edges „disappear“ is to be taken with a grain of marketing salt ....
Canip
I can only talk about the 8x: Yes, you are aware of them (same as in other wide field binos such as the SF 8x42, for example).
Canip
.... It sounds like they really have done a very good job, only a small amount of that magic salt!

Peter

PS even with 82degree field of view can you feel the field stop... more work for the Swaro development team...
Shhhhh. Don't spoil the magical moment.

Ed

Gijs, and Canip, and others who have chimed in re:- extra wide angle binocular field stops,
Thank you for your responses :t:

Already we are seeing some variation in the answers ....

However, I don't think it is prudent for Swarovski to rely upon this variability to substantiate their marketing claims.

I can see we are going to have to spend several hundred posts dissecting the exact phrasing Swarovski has used in their marketing spiel, and compare it to a growing number of control Mark I eyeball results, to see whether Swarovski is making legitimate claims, or has jumped aboard the marketing guff and bunkum bandwagon 'up to and more than' their eyeballs ! :eek!:

:-O

Chosun :gh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back