• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Just had a couple of Long Tailed Tits at the peanut & fat ball feeders.

A few months since I saw any LTT here Euan!
Still, I'm a happy bunny, adding a Garden Lifer this evening. As proof that it's never too late, at 19h15 I remembered I'd left the 'scope outside but instead of bringing it straight in I had a final scan of the distant mountain ridge - nothing. OK, just a quick look at the Sulens across the valley I thought, and there floating just over the grassy summit, a female type

84 Montagu's Harrier

It vanished behind the summit but thankfully reappeared circling higher before heading south with that wonderful graceful flight that they have:t:

Still, I'm a happy bunny, adding a Garden Lifer this evening. As proof that it's never too late, at 19h15 I remembered I'd left the 'scope outside but instead of bringing it straight in I had a final scan of the distant mountain ridge - nothing. OK, just a quick look at the Sulens across the valley I thought, and there floating just over the grassy summit, a female type

84 Montagu's Harrier

It vanished behind the summit but thankfully reappeared circling higher before heading south with that wonderful graceful flight that they have:t:

Snap Richard!....you’ve caught up with me on MH, had one many years ago (fem.type) in June, interacting with Sprawk...disengaged then given the once over by a Hobby over a neighbour’s garden...one I don’t expect to be seeing again. :-C

After the last few ''unsettled'' (gale force wind) days becalm was restored...briefly! The sun shone without a whisper of a breeze as I gazed into my end of garden statuesque Ash tree....suddenly a single movement revealed no.88. albeit not as close as last years bird, bit of a long shot by comparison however not an easy one to image at best of times. :)

Attachments

• P2300654.jpeg      Crdstrt.02.jpeg
    P2300654.jpeg Crdstrt.02.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 42
Snap!

August 27th.

75. Redstart - a male quivering its tail atop next door's dead laburnum tree

Another garden lifer to boot, #98. Starting to think what might be #100.

Steve

Probably for the first time this year I had a ''lay-in'' till 8.10am (grey skies with a cold Northerly...with a won't see anything of note today mindset) I ambled downstairs. Twas whilst preparing breakfast that my eye caught a signature movement!, grabbed bins but found it obscured by leafage thus dashed (hobbled) upstairs entered bedroom dropped to my knees and shuffled across the carpet, now ''periscoping-up'' past the window ledge, with camera in hand...no.89. :)

Attachments

• P2300961.jpeg     Spot.3..jpeg
    P2300961.jpeg Spot.3..jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 40
Well done Steve and Ken.
Steve, what are your glaring omissions from the Garden life list in your opinion that could be your ‘two for the ton‘?
Ken, glad I’m not the only one who does the shuffle under the windows in order to not flush the garden visitor or two! Luckily the neighbours decided I was a crazy Anglais years ago:-O

Steve, what are your glaring omissions from the Garden life list in your opinion that could be your ‘two for the ton‘?

None really Richard. My garden is well into urban Loughborough and I have seen just about anything that you would expect in a built up urban area, plus a fair few that you wouldn't.

A fly-over Tree Pipit is long overdue considering the amount of time I spend skywatching. Several common ducks eg Wigeon are not yet on the list, though none is particularly likely. Marsh Harrier is a possibility I suppose, or maybe Whooper Swan.

Steve

None really Richard. My garden is well into urban Loughborough and I have seen just about anything that you would expect in a built up urban area, plus a fair few that you wouldn't.

A fly-over Tree Pipit is long overdue considering the amount of time I spend skywatching. Several common ducks eg Wigeon are not yet on the list, though none is particularly likely. Marsh Harrier is a possibility I suppose, or maybe Whooper Swan.

Steve

The “randomness” of occurrences never ceases to amaze Steve....particularly when sky watching (to excess helps). Urban London has given me flyover Hawfinch (High Court, Fleet St.), Red Kite, Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail (St.Pauls) and I didn’t see the flyover WTSE, the sky’s the limit...happy hunting. :t:

84 Montagu's Harrier

Congratulations for MH! :t:

About two weeks ago I saw Pallid over the garden... Unfortunately it was my student apartments garden. (Still, it was a year tick. :king: )

Anyway, my long dry season (in own garden) is finally over.

#79. Spotted Flycatcher
#80. Chiffchaff
- these are regular visitors in August or September, but...
#81. Wood Warbler - was a garden lifer! B :)

Attachments

• dbcbIMG_3271.jpg
    dbcbIMG_3271.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Congratulations for MH! :t:

About two weeks ago I saw Pallid over the garden... Unfortunately it was my student apartments garden. (Still, it was a year tick. :king: )

Anyway, my long dry season (in own garden) is finally over.

#79. Spotted Flycatcher
#80. Chiffchaff
- these are regular visitors in August or September, but...
#81. Wood Warbler - was a garden lifer! B :)

Well done on the Wood Warbler Wari!....deeply envious. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back