• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Inspiration for NL's Shape (1 Viewer)

They will never do it GiGi unless they can figure out how to give it 'invisible edges', which sounds unlikely to be achievable unless there is a breakthrough in quantum physics.

Lee

That's a good point Lee. Plus, the little oatmeal flakes obscuring the view may ruin the experience for some.

I have no idea where Swarovski got the idea to reshape the NL's barrels from, but it's interesting that pretty much everyone who has tried one has commented favourably on their ergonomics. At least one experienced user has said that his 10x42 handles at times like a longish x32. If that's really the case - and I'll need to try it out for myself to see how it works for me (I personally never found the various thumb detents on SLCs and ELs useful) - that is some pretty clever industrial design.

Visually, I can't say the "wasp waist" appeals to me (at least not in binoculars). But if it's an ergonomic improvement, who cares?

It may resemble a squashed baguette, yet inside it promises a delicious sun-dried tomato, olive and feta cheese loaf.

https://fernglas-store.ch/contents/media/l_nlpure_3.jpg
Never held one however the design appears more functional than pretty. Chunky black focuser mechanisms set between juniper-green barrels that won't show the dirt.
Well ok.
But those strap lugs? Put a roof rack on an Aston DB5 why don't you o:D.
The Fieldpro system is quite a contrast to the Steiner Clicloc quick release
https://binocular.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Discovery-a-1030x773.jpg

https://fernglas-store.ch/contents/media/l_nlpure_3.jpg
Never held one however the design appears more functional than pretty. Chunky black focuser mechanisms set between juniper-green barrels that won't show the dirt.
Well ok.
But those strap lugs? Put a roof rack on an Aston DB5 why don't you o:D.

That pic of NL certainly emphasizes the two 'monstrous carbunkles' or at least, toxic growths, that are the strap lugs. This is where my baguette theory breaks down.

Lee

From the first moment I saw a photo of Swarovski's amazing NL, with its 'pinched', 'waisted' tubes, I knew I had seen that shape before. But where? This has been bugging me ever since.

And then the memories came flooding back. In the deep south of France (and probably all over France) in the beautiful Languedoc, in the early morning, you can see people walking around carrying different loads in their hands, shopping bags, brief cases, sheafs of newspapers and so on, but tucked under their arms, and held in place by arm pressure only, was a baguette.

Baguettes are a gorgeous bread loaf but is shaped long and narrow, much like a person's arm. When buying groceries and bread from the canal boat shop in Le Somail, I too walked back to our gite carrying our daily baguette in this same way (baguettes are best eaten fresh) and, by the time I got back, after juggling with other shopping, unlocking, opening and locking the gite door, then making my way upstairs to our accommodation, and all the time gripping the baguette with my arm so it didn't fall, it was pinched where my arm had squashed it.

On the long, ancient wooden table, where we ate (unless we sat outside on the balcony) there it was: a long, narrow shape with this 'waist' in the middle.

And by golly if you picked the baguette up by this squashed section, your hand fitted around it very comfortably.

So there it is, the inspiration for the shape of NL.
Possibly.

Lee
The pic is of our gite.

Lee, I have to tell you that in my -- I daren't really call it a review -- I made this very same comparison: EL = two tins of baked beans; NL = squashed baguette.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! ;-)

Best wishes,

Tom

From the first moment I saw a photo of Swarovski's amazing NL, with its 'pinched', 'waisted' tubes, I knew I had seen that shape before. But where? This has been bugging me ever since.

And then the memories came flooding back. In the deep south of France (and probably all over France) in the beautiful Languedoc, in the early morning, you can see people walking around carrying different loads in their hands, shopping bags, brief cases, sheafs of newspapers and so on, but tucked under their arms, and held in place by arm pressure only, was a baguette.

Baguettes are a gorgeous bread loaf but is shaped long and narrow, much like a person's arm. When buying groceries and bread from the canal boat shop in Le Somail, I too walked back to our gite carrying our daily baguette in this same way (baguettes are best eaten fresh) and, by the time I got back, after juggling with other shopping, unlocking, opening and locking the gite door, then making my way upstairs to our accommodation, and all the time gripping the baguette with my arm so it didn't fall, it was pinched where my arm had squashed it.

On the long, ancient wooden table, where we ate (unless we sat outside on the balcony) there it was: a long, narrow shape with this 'waist' in the middle.

And by golly if you picked the baguette up by this squashed section, your hand fitted around it very comfortably.

So there it is, the inspiration for the shape of NL.
Possibly.

Lee
The pic is of our gite.

Lee,

Just the idea of the NL design inspired by a "carried too long baguette" made me laugh :eek:)
It's very well spotted.
Don't try to carry a baguette too long under pouring rain either, you might end up with a bow :eek:D

One of the thing my sisters and I hated most when we were kids, was to go to buy bread at the bakery, as it was a 15mn walk (one way), coins on our hands, whatever the weather (and the weather wasn't much cooperative in the part of France we were living in :eek:).

It's always surprising to see something so "usual" for French people, to become so loved by people from other countries.

But the baguette is slowly becoming something from the past somehow.
The baguette purchases has been divided by 7 in 100 years, half a baguette being the average daily "intake" by French, meaning some people don't eat any baguettes at all, even if it's kind of "culturally mandatory" for us to eat with most of our cheeses.
The change in Breakfast habits being one of the reason.

A lot of French workers still buy the traditional "baguette sandwich" for Lunch though.

I have a pair of the Swarovski SL seen in post #3.
I bought them in 1989 and loved them despite their heavyweight construction and terrible focus wheel.
To me, they're by far the best-looking and rugged porros ever made.

I gave them to my cousin several years ago but he despised their weight and focusing wheel and returned them to me last year.
After getting my Zeiss HT, I never saw the need to use them again.
I'm thining about giving them to another cousin. |=)|

Lee,

Just the idea of the NL design inspired by a "carried too long baguette" made me laugh :eek:)
It's very well spotted.
Don't try to carry a baguette too long under pouring rain either, you might end up with a bow :eek:D

One of the thing my sisters and I hated most when we were kids, was to go to buy bread at the bakery, as it was a 15mn walk (one way), coins on our hands, whatever the weather (and the weather wasn't much cooperative in the part of France we were living in :eek:).

It's always surprising to see something so "usual" for French people, to become so loved by people from other countries.

But the baguette is slowly becoming something from the past somehow.
The baguette purchases has been divided by 7 in 100 years, half a baguette being the average daily "intake" by French, meaning some people don't eat any baguettes at all, even if it's kind of "culturally mandatory" for us to eat with most of our cheeses.
The change in Breakfast habits being one of the reason.

A lot of French workers still buy the traditional "baguette sandwich" for Lunch though.

Hi Rob

Yes I could see this change during our visits to Le Somail in the Languedoc. Going for the baguettes was no chore there as it was a 3 minute walk over a glorious old arched stone bridge over the Canal du Midi to buy the bread from an old canal boat. What is not to like? But there was never a queue and in later visits only saw perhaps one or two locals carrying baguettes at the most, but we were on holiday so relaxed about time and perhaps the locals had been, bought baguettes and gone by the time I visited the boat.

Lee

That pic of NL certainly emphasizes the two 'monstrous carbunkles' or at least, toxic growths, that are the strap lugs. This is where my baguette theory breaks down.

Lee

I know you're being funny with an agenda, but monstrous carbuncles and toxic growths are silly.

I have both pre FP and FP and it doesn't make two dry beans of a difference. Your hands won't be there.

BTW, when I was young and dumb and . . . ahem, I lived on baguettes in Paris for a time. Jambon, brie, crudite. Social distancing not a problem. I couldn't afford anything else, lol.

Mark

Last edited:
Some Leitz Trinovids had a proprietary strap attachment resembling the Fieldpro in concept, and no one has ever criticized those binoculars looks wise.

My own take on the Fieldpro system, for what it's worth, is that it isn't really necessary, but seems to work well enough in practice. When using two Swarovskis belonging to my brother, an 8.5x42 and a 10x56 SLC, I've found the SLC with the conventional strap system twists up more often (I don't know quite how, but it does) - but that issue could be quite easily solved by having thicker webbing between the neck strap itself and the strap attachments.

I will admit I'd prefer the simpler conventional system myself, as there is less that could conceivably go wrong.

I know you're being funny with an agenda, but monstrous carbuncles and toxic growths are silly.

I have both pre FP and FP and it doesn't make two dry beans of a difference. Your hands won't be there.

BTW, when I was young and dumb and . . . ahem, I lived on baguettes in Paris for a time. Jambon, brie, crudite. Social distancing not a problem. I couldn't afford anything else, lol.

Mark

There is no agenda Mark. This thread is just a bit of silly relief at a time when the pandemic weighs heavily on normal life, so, yes, the remarks about the FP system were nothing but silliness.

Paris is a wonderful place for many reasons and I have some fond memories of times there too.

Lee

Last edited:
There is no agenda Mark. This thread is just a bit of silly relief at a time when the pandemic weighs heavily on normal life, so, yes, the remarks about the FP system were nothing but silliness.

Paris is a wonderful place for many reasons and I have some fond memories of times there too.

Lee

It's all cool, Lee. I was thinking of Paris because a skinny little Slovenian won the Tour on Sunday! Unprecedented! Pretty good sprint for the stage, too.

All my best,
Mark

It's all cool, Lee. I was thinking of Paris because a skinny little Slovenian won the Tour on Sunday! Unprecedented! Pretty good sprint for the stage, too.

All my best,
Mark

No probs Mark. I met a Slovenian in Paris once. She was waitressing in a fish restaurant. She wasn't skinny (in a good way) and delighted all the customers with her repartee. Happy days.

Lee

I have both pre FP and FP and it doesn't make two dry beans of a difference. Your hands won't be there...

Speak for yourself. For rapid focus, as with all bins, I keep my index and middle fingers on the focus knob. For comfort, I keep my hand so my fingers fall straight across the bin. Consequently, the strap lug falls under my palm between index finger and thumb. My grip works fine with the pre-FP but not with the FP.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=330562

--AP

Lee

I hasten to add that the silliness in this thread was entirely about the aesthetics of NL and no comment was intended about functionality.

Older UK members may have recognised the 'monstrous carbunkle' remark to be a quotation from Prince Charles who was commenting in 1984 on a proposed extension to the National Gallery. The 'toxic' remark was aimed at bringing this language up to date.

So looking at the photo of NL again I still think the FP attachments conflict with the gentle, even sensuous, curves of the optical tubes, but conflict on Birdforum was not intended and I apologise to Mark and any others who felt the comments were a 'silliness too far'.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back