• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation... (1 Viewer)

I returned the 10x32's as I just did not have the comfortable viewing experience that I hoped for. I think I may give the 8's a try though. I placed a backorder for them, as they seem to have sold out of stock in most places in the U.S. already.
The larger exit pupil and decreased magnification may prove to be more relaxed.
Has anyone tried both the 8's and 10's outside in real conditions that may be able to comment on this?
Also, would a larger exit pupil make any difference in blackouts or decreased field of vision at the respective eye cup positions?

Hello. In summary... I have been using the Zeiss SF 8x42 and the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 for three years. I take them both with me when I go to the oasis turret to do surveillance. I am a voluntary ecological guard and I have to do a service of 14 hours a month, always in a protected LIPU oasis. Great for me and for binomania :) These days I left the EL at home and brought the SF32
So I can give you my opinion:
The Swarovski NL shows more neutral images, however, I prefer the warm hue of the SF which gives me greater contrast when observing in nature, where there are areas of trees and leaves. I think it's very subjective...
Both SF42 and SF32 resist glare better. Looking near the setting sun, the SF42 is "slightly" better at containing diffuse light than the SF32, but the SF 32 seems to me to have more micro-contrast than the SF42 and also contains better chromatic aberration both on axis , both lateral. I really like the SF32.
I am not very sensitive to the rolling ball effect, but I find the SF32 very pleasant to use. It is very light and I confirm that the weight is unbalanced towards the eyepieces, like the SF42..Sorry for my English

Hi, you refer to the EL at first, then the NL. When you say you prefer the SF warm hue, is that relative to the EL or NL? Thanks!

I spent some time narrowing my choice for a new top flight bins and came away after side by side viewing of the SF x32s next to the ELs that they are very special and better. Just overall more immersive/3d and resistant to glare. I think the handling great and the focuser perfect. And even though they have super good design integrity, I don't warm up to the green Swaros and even the bird logos aesthetically. Honestly now the running is between them and Leicas - and I may just end up with both as my wife prefers the Leicas.

I agree with the comment that there should be more buzz around these. They're pretty incredible.

Hi, you refer to the EL at first, then the NL. When you say you prefer the SF warm hue, is that relative to the EL or NL? Thanks!

Hi! I was referring to NLs, they are very, very neutral, I prefer images a little warm in naturalistic use but it is a subjective choice.

Let's also say that I observe birds of pray more than anything else and I prefer the SF series for the greater ability to manage the glare, but I read in the Swarovski section that for many this is not a problem ...

Last years I had the opportunity to use for days the EL, the Noctivid and the SF and for my way of observing I preferred the SF..

Attachments

• fantastici_tre.jpg
    fantastici_tre.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 163
Have the 8x32 SF For a month. The first impression was how well balanced they were, also have Swarovski 8x32 and slightly prefer their “fits like a glove”, feel. But handling the Zeiss weight feels like a feather, some sort of anti-gravity Feel. Noticed brighter image Than the Swarovski 8x32 and enjoyed entering into the expansive Zeiss FOV Zone, it sucks you in. Not a great comparison / test just first impression. I won’t return my Zeiss SF, it has become a companion. Oh the bag is a little too big, and the diopter issued mentioned did not bother me, But the detents seemed far apart. Ok the Wow factor, for me, is the focusing wheel. So Smooth, consistent, and fast. Way better than my Swarovski ELs which were sometimes stiff. True rain guard feels flimsy but it fits - the Swarovski is easier to remove but didn't seem to fit well. Zeiss SF almost seems made for my hands, enjoy holding them for long periods of time. Can hold them steady and with the bright-wide view and ultra smooth focus, can track moving birds and still explore deep into the shadows. They've been amazing to use and very glad and thankful I order them!

Have the 8x32 SF For a month. The first impression was how well balanced they were, also have Swarovski 8x32 and slightly prefer their “fits like a glove”, feel. But handling the Zeiss weight feels like a feather, some sort of anti-gravity Feel. Noticed brighter image Than the Swarovski 8x32 and enjoyed entering into the expansive Zeiss FOV Zone, it sucks you in. Not a great comparison / test just first impression. I won’t return my Zeiss SF, it has become a companion. Oh the bag is a little too big, and the diopter issued mentioned did not bother me, But the detents seemed far apart. Ok the Wow factor, for me, is the focusing wheel. So Smooth, consistent, and fast. Way better than my Swarovski ELs which were sometimes stiff. True rain guard feels flimsy but it fits - the Swarovski is easier to remove but didn't seem to fit well. Zeiss SF almost seems made for my hands, enjoy holding them for long periods of time. Can hold them steady and with the bright-wide view and ultra smooth focus, can track moving birds and still explore deep into the shadows. They've been amazing to use and very glad and thankful I order them!
Zeiss focusers are usually smoother than Swarovski in my experience. It sounds like the little Zeiss SF has that rearward balance of the bigger Zeiss SF. You mentioned the Zeiss had an expansive FOV that sucks you in so you noticed that it had a bigger AFOV then Swarovski. The Zeiss must really have an immersive FOV which it probably does with that huge FOV. Glad you like them!

Last edited:
A few more thoughts - also enjoying the fact that these aren't flat field. Sometimes the view through the ELs felt too flat and odd, whereas the 32SFs do feel more "realistic" and 3D which is so far good. Personally haven't noticed an obvious difference in colour hue, maybe because I've not tried using both bins in the field. Stand alone I think the colour is fine and not odd or unnatural.

One thing I've noticed with the rainguard since the temperature dropped, is condensation forming on the inside/bottom of the rainguard when outside. Don't remember that happening with other rainguards I've used, but have the older style rectangular Zeiss one so will switch back to that. Other than that, love using them, especially the better focusing wheel!

The Zeiss 8x32 SF focus is a joy to use, to be fair I had a Swarovski SLC 7x30 that also had a perfect smooth focus, but very narrow FOV. The SF balance, focus, and wide usable FOV checked all the boxes for me. Will do a star test, but too busy just enjoying them for now.

One thing I've noticed with the rainguard since the temperature dropped, is condensation forming on the inside/bottom of the rainguard when outside. Don't remember that happening with other rainguards I've used, but have the older style rectangular Zeiss one so will switch back to that. Other than that, love using them, especially the better focusing wheel!

Hi Amy

I am puzzled by your report of condensation inside the rainguard. I have used this kind of rainguard for years on Islay in late October / early November when the temperatures can dip very low and never had this happen. But to get condensation you need warmth meeting cold and I am wondering if your rest your hand on the rainguard, warming it up in contrast to the bino underneath which is getting colder.

But if you have one of the old Zeiss rainguards that is all in one moulded shape (instead of two eyecups joined by a flexible section) then you have one of the best rainguards ever. I use these old lumps a lot and so do some other folks on Birdforum.

Good luck and stay safe.

Lee

Hi Amy

I am puzzled by your report of condensation inside the rainguard. I have used this kind of rainguard for years on Islay in late October / early November when the temperatures can dip very low and never had this happen. But to get condensation you need warmth meeting cold and I am wondering if your rest your hand on the rainguard, warming it up in contrast to the bino underneath which is getting colder.

But if you have one of the old Zeiss rainguards that is all in one moulded shape (instead of two eyecups joined by a flexible section) then you have one of the best rainguards ever. I use these old lumps a lot and so do some other folks on Birdforum.

Good luck and stay safe.

Lee

Thanks Lee - I don't tend to have my hands resting on the rainguard so I'm puzzled too, but agree the old Zeiss rainguard is brilliant. Noticed it for sale on the SW Optics website a few years ago and rather glad I did!

Was out bird surveying today, instead of my usual pre-office walk, so got the chance to use them for longer periods (instead of lots of shorter looks). The "ErgoBalance Concept" is good and was helpful today. They are easier to use than my 10x32 ELs

I just spent a few days with both the 8x and 10x32 SF, and saw a slight greenish cast in the colours they present. Not much, but it is there.

Also weighed the 8x32 SF as well as the EL SV 8x32. The SF was about 10 g lighter, but the EL had its objective covers on (they would come off, but I did not feel inclined to remove them on a loaner pair, lest I break them in the process).

To Binastro, on the 20x60 Zeiss stabilised. I have a friend who has one, and he says he holds them upside down so that the button rests against his thumb and the weight of the binocular helps press it in to engage. Diopter of course has to be re-set if you do that since eyes swap eyepieces.

- Kimmo

Green. The unforgivable sin. As the high intensity magenta coatings suggest. Thanks for pointing that out, Kimmo. Saves me time and money.

Tobias, post 97,
The brand new Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 I have here in front of me certainly does not have a green color cast, it is slightly more brown-red pointing at a slightly higher light transmission in the red part of the spectrum in comparison with green and blue.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back