• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best places for birding in western Ireland? (1 Viewer)

Den C

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a summer break in western Ireland and would really appreciate some recommendations for the best places to go for birding/wildlife spotting.

I'm thinking about combining the birds/wildlife with some coastal walking and my first thought was maybe county Mayo?

I know this is a very subjective question but any thoughts or advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Den;)

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a summer break in western Ireland and would really appreciate some recommendations for the best places to go for birding/wildlife spotting.

I'm thinking about combining the birds/wildlife with some coastal walking and my first thought was maybe county Mayo?

I know this is a very subjective question but any thoughts or advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Den;)

Hello Den,
been a while since I logged so only just seen your post.
Mayo is a good place to try especially around the coastline. I know the area around Westport/ Louisburgh where there plenty of sea birds. I have seen choughs on the odd ocassion plus northern divers. Mammal wise the are otters to be seen most days if you are prepred to wait also seals and dolphins. Achill Island gives you a chance of seeing basking sharks but they are probably best seen in May.
Anyway that's a taster so perhaps next year.
Search Colin Stafford Johnson on facebook he will probably be more help than me.
Good luck

Last edited:
See if you can get "Finding Birds in Ireland" by Eric Dempsey and Michael O'Clery for Christmas :)
If you are going in late summer then seawatching would be a must on the west coast.
regards
Paul

Wild, beautiful and unspoilt, with a few rarities in Autumn has been Loophead, County Clare. If its tranquility you're after with friendly helpful folk then this Ireland is the place but I am of course very bias.Trips to the southwest have also been spectacular, Skibbeŕeen, on the way to the Island.
Pat Dwyer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back