• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

old scope vs new (1 Viewer)

DPB

Hi Folks, I have been saving up to get a spotting scope. I've enjoy using a Vanguard Endeavor 65mm HD scope a friend has loaned me. I was about to purchase one (~400) when I was offered a B & L Elite HD 80mm circa 2005 for 1/2 that price.

Both feel like great scopes. Both are HD, waterproof. The B & L has a 20 - 60 mm eye piece, while the Vanguard has a 15- 45x. Both have a type of rubber armoring, sun shade and padded case. Might a newer scope be that much better than one that's 15 years old? just looking for opinions and suggestions.

I would recommend the B&L. It's a great, somewhat undiscovered scope. The factory 20-60 zoom eyepiece isn't that great, the weak point of the setup.....It is a fully modern scope otherwise. I believe it's still in limited production in the angled version. (Now labeled Bushnell Elite).

The best thing about the B&L elite is that it can use newer Kowa TSN (60mm) eyepieces.

If you put a kowa eyepiece on the B&L you wont just like it, you'll love it, providing the sheer size of the scope is ok for your needs.

Last edited:
The Elite for 200 dollars is a no brainer..Even if the provided zoom is not great(more likely), you can experiment with a.series of eyepieces,including the mentioned Kowa eyepieces(didnt know that),but maybe also the Baader Hyperion MkIV,or numerous astronomy eyepieces that you might be able to adapt..

Mayoayo I may have to step back on my comments about the eyepieces fitting the B&L Elite 80mm....

I have a B&L ED 77mm and a B&L Premier HDR 60mm. Kowa 60mm TSN eyepieces fit both just fine.

I tried to fit the Kowa TSN 60mm eyepieces on a Bushnell Elite ED 80mm (Same as the B&L 80mm??) earlier and the bayonet socket on the Bushnell 80mm scopes is a little larger. (Who knows, might fit the TSN-820 series eyepieces?).

So, I know the TSN 60mm eyepieces fit the B&L 77mmED. They "Might" fit the B&L Elite ED 80mm.....But the Do not fit the Bushnell Elite ED 80mm....

Anyway....I just enjoy the technical challenge....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back