• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Please find attached an updated summary of the various sites' performance in the Spring All-Day Birdwatch on the 5th May with Venus Pool's species list now added (thanks Jim :t:)

Attachments

• Spring 2017 All-Dayer.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 80
May finished with a total of 107 species, well down on the 116 recorded in April but still the joint best performing May from the limited data set I have. Unfortunately June is a consistently poor month averaging only 90 species - only the four months between November and February have a lower average total.

I managed 53 on Thursday evening with a few obvious omissions.

From the Flashes this morning JTB reports:

Broods of 3 and 4 young Lapwing in the sewage meadow, 4 Oystercatcher with 1+ chick in sewage meadow, 2 Redshank, 3 Med Gulls, 5 Raven, 48 Avocet + 19 young from 10 broods, 1 young LRP still, 3 Shoveler

2 juvenile Grey Wagtail on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:
On a visit earlier in the week to the reserve came across this deep coloured female "rufescens" form of Blue-tailed Damselfly.Have seen only one or two of this form over the last few years here, could someone let me know if this is a scarce / common form at Upton ?

Attachments

• P1180925.jpg
    P1180925.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 65
On a visit earlier in the week to the reserve came across this deep coloured female "rufescens" form of Blue-tailed Damselfly.Have seen only one or two of this form over the last few years here, could someone let me know if this is a scarce / common form at Upton ?

I've not seen one at Upton in over 30 years! But then I don t always pay 100% attention where odonata are concerned 😐

Hi Glen,

I saw and photographed one in the education reserve a few years ago. I think I posted the photo on this thread.

Always thought that the many colours were JUST either immature or Females.....looked on here ....... https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/blue-tailed-damselfly and think its just Females that vary...some great colour variations.
Thanks for posting and teaching me something.

From the Flashes this morning JTB reports:

Broods of 3 and 4 young Lapwing in the sewage meadow, 4 Oystercatcher with 1+ chick in sewage meadow, 2 Redshank, 3 Med Gulls, 5 Raven, 48 Avocet + 19 young from 10 broods, 1 young LRP still, 3 Shoveler

2 juvenile Grey Wagtail on the Sailing Pool

John also noted from yesterday definitive proof that Little Grebe are breeding on the Hen Pool, the first known occurrence in this location :t:

This morning at the Flashes Dave J reports:

48 Avocet + 19 young from 10 broods (3:2:1:2:1:2:2:3:2:1), adult Med Gull, 5 LR Plover (+1 young), Oystercatcher (+ 1 young), no sign of any Lapwing chicks, Redshank, 3 Teal

Egyptian Goose still on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:

i had two individuals yesterday what surprised me was the lack off butterflys and not one dragonfly.

y'day

amazing what you can see on ya hands and knee's.

Attachments

• _DSC4862.jpg
    _DSC4862.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC4712.jpg
    _DSC4712.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC4739.jpg
    _DSC4739.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC4891.JPG
    _DSC4891.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSC4763.jpg
    _DSC4763.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 52
From the Moors Pool Dave J rwports:

2 second summer Mediterranean Gulls (+ 2 young), Gadwall brood reduced to four ducklings, 5 Oystercatcher (+ 3 young), 72+ Common Spotted Orchids

The pic of a 'rufescens' I took on 15th May 2011 in or near the education reserve: :t:

Attachments

• rufescens.jpg
    rufescens.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 97
Mixed news from the reserve today from Andy P:

Flashes - still 10 broods of 19 Avocet chicks; 1 Oystercatcher & 1 LRP chick but still no sign of any Lapwing chicks.

Moors Pool - new family of 4 Lapwing chicks emerged on the Broadmeadow

Sanderling noted today at Belvide, Marsh Lane and Bittell so still stuff moving in the adverse weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back