• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sligo bay in frosty sunshine thurs am (1 Viewer)

erne

during a quick visit to sligo bay thurs 2 hours after high tide, i was delighted to see around 30 brent geese-one wearing a metal band, right leg.
There were lots of oystercatchers and one was also wearing a similar band!
redshanks heron turnstones,maybe a greenshank.
It was a beautiful place. Ice crunched underfoot and the birds calling as they fed at the edge of the retreating tide.
Benbulben stood across the water in the distance with a snowy white top-bringing memories of a very strenuous climb last halloween.
I am increasingly content with my renewed interest in bird watching.
ideas of a better scope are tempting me - to be able to read the band codes and know the tremendous journeys these little birds have made.
it is a source of great mystery and leads me to reflect that we understand very little of our vast universe.

erne said:
during a quick visit to sligo bay thurs 2 hours after high tide, i was delighted to see around 30 brent geese-one wearing a metal band, right leg.
There were lots of oystercatchers and one was also wearing a similar band!
redshanks heron turnstones,maybe a greenshank.
It was a beautiful place. Ice crunched underfoot and the birds calling as they fed at the edge of the retreating tide.
Benbulben stood across the water in the distance with a snowy white top-bringing memories of a very strenuous climb last halloween.
I am increasingly content with my renewed interest in bird watching.
ideas of a better scope are tempting me - to be able to read the band codes and know the tremendous journeys these little birds have made.
it is a source of great mystery and leads me to reflect that we understand very little of our vast universe.
Thirty Brent Geese. What a treat ! We only get them as a rare vagrant where I am. The Oystercatchers are always great to see. I know what you mean about reading those bands and tremendous journeys. If you are interested in the tremendous journeys of migration, then you may enjoy, Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere With Migratory Birds by Scott Weidensaul, if you haven't already read it.

thanks

Mark Bruce said:
Thirty Brent Geese. What a treat ! We only get them as a rare vagrant where I am. The Oystercatchers are always great to see. I know what you mean about reading those bands and tremendous journeys. If you are interested in the tremendous journeys of migration, then you may enjoy, Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere With Migratory Birds by Scott Weidensaul, if you haven't already read it.

must look out for that book thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back