• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

I know the pictures are dull and poor but this bird was very close in the garden of course until I tried to photograph it. I felt the tail was far too long for a chaffinch and It looked different. The bird is sideways in second picture and you cannot see the real length of the tail. Just wondering if anyone knows what it might be? I have some long tailed wagtails and it didnt look like those either.

Attachments

• Bird in july 004.jpg
    Bird in july 004.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Bird in july 005.jpg
    Bird in july 005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 51
I know the pictures are dull and poor but this bird was very close in the garden of course until I tried to photograph it. I felt the tail was far too long for a chaffinch and It looked different. The bird is sideways in second picture and you cannot see the real length of the tail. Just wondering if anyone knows what it might be? I have some long tailed wagtails and it didnt look like those either.

Looks like a juvenile Pied Wagtail to me.

See Ya,
Niall

I spoke to them on Monday, they had severe losses and had found a lot of dead chicks but they hadn't completed a full chick count at that stage and didn't know how many they have left.

The latest from Baltray is that 4 more chicks have hatched so we now have 21. This is still an excellent number for Baltray.

Got a text from Joe (Kilcoole Little Tern Warden) today saying that they have 16 fledged so far. They lost at least 10 to the weather but found 50 chicks surviving since then.

See Ya,
Niall

We put a new bird box up on the wall of the house early this year and Blue Tits used it successfully. We now have Sparrows using it and their young look almost ready to fledge. Certainly good use made of that box this year. Not sure how many Sparrow chicks there are, but there are at least 2. Seems to be a matter of first to the opening gets fed!

Attachments

• Sparrow Chick in Bird Box.JPG
    Sparrow Chick in Bird Box.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Sparrow Chick.JPG
    Sparrow Chick.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Sparrow Chick being fed 1.JPG
    Sparrow Chick being fed 1.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Sparrow Chick being fed 2.JPG
    Sparrow Chick being fed 2.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Sparrow Chick being fed 3.JPG
    Sparrow Chick being fed 3.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 53
Checked the "hidden creek" at ballymascanlon yeaterday but no signs of green sands. There was a very showy kingfisher using the sluice gate wall as a perch. Two common sandpipers on the upper part of castletown river and a third sandpiper with a small bill and clean underparts that got away...

In the meantime a few more american shots...

Attachments

• sooty shearwater crop.jpg
    sooty shearwater crop.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 59
  • great shearwater.jpg
    great shearwater.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 66
  • herring gulls humpback 2.jpg
    herring gulls humpback 2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 66
  • sooty shearwater legs.jpg
    sooty shearwater legs.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 62
  • sooty shearwater with gulls.jpg
    sooty shearwater with gulls.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 61
We put a new bird box up on the wall of the house early this year and Blue Tits used it successfully. We now have Sparrows using it and their young look almost ready to fledge. Certainly good use made of that box this year. Not sure how many Sparrow chicks there are, but there are at least 2. Seems to be a matter of first to the opening gets fed!

green sands

Checked the "hidden creek" at ballymascanlon yeaterday but no signs of green sands. There was a very showy kingfisher using the sluice gate wall as a perch. Two common sandpipers on the upper part of castletown river and a third sandpiper with a small bill and clean underparts that got away...

In the meantime a few more american shots...
2 green sand seen in flight with another wader at ballymac yesterday also one ruff seen.

Attachments

• IMG_3327_edited.jpg
    IMG_3327_edited.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3324_edited.jpg
    IMG_3324_edited.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3328_edited.jpg
    IMG_3328_edited.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3090_edited.jpg
    IMG_3090_edited.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3179_edited.jpg
    IMG_3179_edited.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
The Little Tern Conservation Project in Baltray continues with 20 chicks and 13 eggs. Most of the chicks are close to being fully fledged.

We were delighted that RTE Environment Correspondant Paul Cunningham came out on Saturday and did a piece on the Little Terns which was aired on both the 6pm and 9pm news this evening.

Attachments

• tn_RTE interview with Sandra.JPG
    tn_RTE interview with Sandra.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_Breffni interview with RTE.JPG
    tn_Breffni interview with RTE.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 69
  • tn_RTE interview with Kieran Buckley.JPG
    tn_RTE interview with Kieran Buckley.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 65
  • tn_Little Tern Chick 11.JPG
    tn_Little Tern Chick 11.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 67
  • tn_Little Tern Chick 12.JPG
    tn_Little Tern Chick 12.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 59
7 Common sandpipers and an early return eclipse wigeon on the stagrennan polder on friday evening.

Owen

Hi Owen

Pardon my ignorance but where is the stagrennan polder??

BTW I had 90 manx shearwater and 25 gannets in 2 hour seawatch at Ballagan Pt on Sunday evening.
Also I was in Mullaghattin tonight and heard LEO (adult) calling briefly at 9.15pm (Jenkinstown side). I could not locate it! However, when I left at 10.15 a LEO suddenly appeared out of the trees at first bend and flew meters in front of my windscreen for at least 100m before flying off left into the trees. A sight I will not forget!

Stagrennan polder is on the marsh road to mornington from drogheda. Turn down as if going to scotch hall, after about 3 kilometers there is a raised bank on your left.
Pull in at the gate and view the mudflat from here.
Good for gulls, waders and duck and a bustling sandmartin colony.

However very tide dependent and can be hit and miss.
Last autumn it played host to at least 10 resident curlew sandpipers and 1 little stint.
Bound to score sooner rather than later.

Owen

Last edited:
Three common sandpipers, a kingfisher and a single green sandpiper (138) at the creek at ballymascanlon yesterday evening. This time the green sand was to the right, just under the new sluice gate. On the way in a cuckoo in the hedgerow. Around the tern roost at cooley point, very few juv terns - out of about 50 sandwitch terns and about the same number of common/arctic there were only four juv sandwich and no juv comic...in previous years there have been dozens of juv terns fishing the area by late July...

Last edited:
Ringed ringed plover at templetown beach today, along with an adult sanderling, a good influx of dunlin, yet more commmon sandpipers, a juv buzzard and a funny looking black headed gull...

Attachments

• ringed ring plover.jpg
    ringed ring plover.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 52
  • black headed gull.jpg
    black headed gull.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 59

Attachments

• black guillemot parent and juv greenore.jpg
    black guillemot parent and juv greenore.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 52
  • buzzard juv.jpg
    buzzard juv.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 62
  • fulmar johns castle.jpg
    fulmar johns castle.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 50
  • goldcrest juv july 08.jpg
    goldcrest juv july 08.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 52
  • coal tit july 08.jpg
    coal tit july 08.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
pic of deer

The green sand was aboutthe centre of this map just in front of the barrier seperating the channel from the estuary http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...0692,-6.367972&spn=0.005219,0.011179&t=h&z=16.

Another juv black guillemot at greenore - the fourth i've seen.

The buzzard was amazingly light coloured, showing what could almost be described as down...

Fulmar is nesting in the castle at carlingford.

While looking for quail came across this deer near Stabannon

Attachments

• IMG_3947_edited.jpg
    IMG_3947_edited.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3951_edited.jpg
    IMG_3951_edited.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3959_edited.jpg
    IMG_3959_edited.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 57
Amazing how an untagged fairly mature red deer stag can turn up like that...I imagine that the fairly open country at Stabannon allows it to move around.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back