• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

I'm in. Although we would need an industrial supply of dark chocolate digestives!8-P

Gavo and Gert I will bring the choco biscuits8-P
I would love to do it every sunday, but every Tuesday as well is knackering me out:gn:
On a serious note, I am sure Phil could organise it:t:
and now Paul.
Over to you Phil. The next official work party is 6th November just under 4 weeks time.
I'll have a look at this Sunday's weather

Last edited:
Tuesday work party at Moors 11th Oct

Another productive day from the 12 of us.
1. Continued with the coppicing in the scrub between the two west hides. This is looking good . The spindle bushes will be left un-touched, however the berry clad hawthorns will be heavily pruned after the birds have eaten them. Next week some of the trunks will be cut to the ground. Hope to attract willow warblers and garden warblers here next year.
2. Dead hedging continued along western border.
3. Willows along ditch to the swan were pruned and some of the cuttings used to create a 'frame' to enhance the new bramble patch close by.
4. The willow carr along the salwarp track was coppiced, at least 10 large trunks were cut. This area had shaded out the border scrub. Some of the brash was burned and the dead branches were again piled into the bramble to invigorate its growth.
The thorn and bramble patch has added to the diversity of this area. Many years ago it was devoid of any scrub and in the winter all the butter bur had died off and the area was flat and lifeless. We planted the thorns 12 to 15 years ago and the bramble has only recently appeared . Now the area looks good and today goldcrest and tits were all over it after the work, next spring I am sure it will attract more warblers, must check it out more often.
Pic 1:Shows the willow carr after an hours work
pic 2: willow carr at end of play. - we will continue cutting up the fallen trunks next week.
pic 3: The bramble patch
Pic 4: view along track from blackthorn showing willow carr after today's work
pic 5: scrub between two hides after more coppicing.

Attachments

• 1.wilo car half way thru work 11th oct11.jpg
    1.wilo car half way thru work 11th oct11.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.willow carr afta work 11th oct11.jpg
    2.willow carr afta work 11th oct11.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.bramble patch salwrp track.jpg
    3.bramble patch salwrp track.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.looking along salwrp track from Blakthrn  2 the west afta work 11 oct11.jpg
    4.looking along salwrp track from Blakthrn 2 the west afta work 11 oct11.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 77
  • 5.scrub from Con hide 2 west hide afta work 11th Oct 2011.jpg
    5.scrub from Con hide 2 west hide afta work 11th Oct 2011.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Shame we can't have a work party every sunday, making the most of this dry spell could prove fruitful.

I'd be up for one or two at least. Especially if it meant improving the short term chance of birds at the flashes as well as long term improvements.

From what we saw last time it wouldn't take much to create some pretty wet scrapes.

Paul

Birding at the Moors this afternoon:
The duck numbers had declined since Sunday.
But passerines were more in evidence. Species accounts as follows:
GCG 7, Cormorant 12, Mute swan 4,
Shoveler 27, Teal 50, Tufted 25 NO pochard!
Snipe 3, Lapwing 70, Curlew1
Common Gull adult flew south, Herring gull 6 1 ad and 5 1st winters.
Great spotted woodp , Kingfisher 2
Coal tit, goldcrest 3, Chiffchaff , siskin all along west side.
B :)John

Gavo and Gert I will bring the choco biscuits8-P
I would love to do it every sunday, but every Tuesday as well is knackering me out:gn:
On a serious note, I am sure Phil could organise it:t:
and now Paul.
Over to you Phil. The next official work party is 6th November just under 4 weeks time.
I'll have a look at this Sunday's weather

I cant do this Sunday (Dad's birthday) but I am happy to set something up for the 23rd if there are enough takers - can you let me know.

Cheers
Phil

I'd be up for one or two at least. Especially if it meant improving the short term chance of birds at the flashes as well as long term improvements.

From what we saw last time it wouldn't take much to create some pretty wet scrapes.

Paul
Lets hope you feel the same tomorrow Paul when all those aches and pains start, Iv'e got mine already8-P
I am sure we can sort something for a week Sunday if not this one. There doesn't have to be loads of us and not too early a start either. It's not as if we are going to disturb any birds...as there aren't any:t:

Birding at the Moors this afternoon:
The duck numbers had declined since Sunday.
But passerines were more in evidence. Species accounts as follows:
GCG 7, Cormorant 12, Mute swan 4,
Shoveler 27, Teal 50, Tufted 25 NO pochard!
Snipe 3, Lapwing 70, Curlew1
Common Gull adult flew south, Herring gull 6 1 ad and 5 1st winters.
Great spotted woodp , Kingfisher 2
Coal tit, goldcrest 3, Chiffchaff , siskin all along west side.

In addition to your report John 2 Little Grebes showed on the Moors Pool after you had gone & there were 20 Curlews at the Flashes mid-afternoon.

Lets hope you feel the same tomorrow Paul when all those aches and pains start, Iv'e got mine already8-P

Ah but I never said I'd match your work rate John. :eek!:

There doesn't have to be loads of us and not too early a start either. It's not as if we are going to disturb any birds...as there aren't any:t:

Quite so and as Gavo said, the opportunity (and the requirement) is now but (hopefully) fairly temporary so we should take as much advantage as we can manage IMO.

If it was up to me I'd also like to run an experiment - scramble the top crust and scrape some broader wet areas and it might look more like the tide has just gone out and less like hard work for any passing waders. The existing ditches still appear to be holding water and were lined with lapwing yesterday (and an optimistic heron) so it's worth a punt IMO.

But maybe it's already too late to salvage anything from this autumn and so not worth the effort.

Either way I'm up for whatever you experts decide would be worthwhile that is also within my limited capacity. :-O

Paul

Ah but I never said I'd match your work rate John. :eek!:

Quite so and as Gavo said, the opportunity (and the requirement) is now but (hopefully) fairly temporary so we should take as much advantage as we can manage IMO.

If it was up to me I'd also like to run an experiment - scramble the top crust and scrape some broader wet areas and it might look more like the tide has just gone out and less like hard work for any passing waders. The existing ditches still appear to be holding water and were lined with lapwing yesterday (and an optimistic heron) so it's worth a punt IMO.

But maybe it's already too late to salvage anything from this autumn and so not worth the effort.

Either way I'm up for whatever you experts decide would be worthwhile that is also within my limited capacity. :-O

Paul
You are well tuned in Paul, removing the top crust is what we have done in the past. This removes the dried out silt, the crust forms in the best channels that provide the best wader feeding areas. Below the crust should be water , mind you it will be a few inches deeper than in previous years.
Ideally having an area in front of the hide would be best, as the 'foreshortening' effect will be less prevalent than with central ditches that we have already dug.

I have checked the weather and it looks good for this Sunday 16th October. We could take in a bit of 'VIS MIG' while out there. I will be on site early, to do some birding anyway. If you can make it please add your name to this thread so I can bring enough biscuits and squash.:t:John
I will post a photo of the area and await your ideas.

Last edited:
Hi Paul - I admire your enthusiasum! :t:

This autumn is now really a bit of a right-off for passage waders and the low water levels give us the very rare opportunity to do some work with longer term benefits ie restablishing the channels linking the various bodies of water and desilting / shelving the wader feeding areas closer to the hide.

One of the beneficial by-products of digging out the channels will be the short term creation of a feeding area for Snipe albeit they may only take advantage after dark. Their traditional favoured spots along the eastern / southern shores of the second Flash are of no value this year given the water level.

As I am not around this Sunday I will be doing the WeBS count a day early; this month it will include a quick walk of the reserve to count Snipe numbers. I will try to do this early morning to reduce the impact on visiting birders.

Phil

Hi Gavo - think we are talking about the 23rd rather than this coming Sunday if you are still free?

Phil
Phil /Gav/Pau/l Gert and everyone else interested

I will Definitely be doing this coming Sunday 16th and who knows next one as well. I don't like putting on people with too many work parties especially with those who work during the week. However when people show enthusiasm to do the work, then that's what drives me on. Upton is a place that you either love or hate, for various reason. It does help that as birders / photographers we can change things (within guidelines) without all that 'red tape', expecting the Trust to be pro-active in this instance, just wont happen. So let's go for it.
I have posted 3 Photos (all in front of the hide panning from north to south 7th Aug 2011 - the water level was 0.26) To benefit us and the birds these are the areas to be worked on, in my opinion. The work will also benefit breeding waders next spring/summer. Give it some thought, and chip in with some ideas. Discussion open.

Attachments

• 1. drying out FL 7th Aug11.jpg
    1. drying out FL 7th Aug11.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.drying out FL 7th Aug 11.jpg
    2.drying out FL 7th Aug 11.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Sluice basin drying 7th Aug 11.jpg
    Sluice basin drying 7th Aug 11.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 79
Phil /Gav/Pau/l Gert and everyone else interested I will Definitely be doing this coming Sunday 16th ... Give it some thought, and chip in with some ideas. Discussion open.

What-o me old bluenose mucker!

John, you're a sucker for punishment but your seemingly endless commitment is commendable!
This is difficult to portray, not only 'cos I've got to paint a word picture but also because of the unknown new hide and the exact layout of fences etc. So, I'll try to précis my thoughts:
Your third attachment shows (essentially) 4 longitudinal channels going away from the hide. This provides the waders (Snipe etc) with some great feeding (when flooded) and good cover from both the elements and any marauding raptors. It also maximises the viewing opportunities with only the minimum of 'dead ground' in the foreground where the longitudinal channels are joined together by a lateral channel.

Looking at your second photo, this shows the leftmost longitudinal channel (albeit a bit wide to describe as a channel) and the lateral channel right in front of the hide. This area is also (of course) the main access for the work parties and associated equipment, but notwithstanding the access argument, the water level maintenance in this specific area might be easier if these two areas of channelling were joined.

Finally, your first picture shows the salt flats frequented by feeding Linnets and the main channel in front of the hide (which has been subject to repeated dredging since its inception). I think this should be continued and supplemented perhaps. There's no disputing the dead ground afforded by the near bank of this channel (and there isn't an awful lot that's practicable to address it. However, when the silt is dug out, can the majority be excavated from the nearest bank so that the furthest bank forms a shelf on which the waders can feed/wander whilst still being visible to the occupants of the hide (and hopefully even to those in the cheap seats downstairs) J for JOKE! To supplement this vista could consideration be given to adding two lateral channels running away from the hide perpendicular to the existing channel but not to jeopardise the access routes (I realise that this would involve some serious earth moving) to further enhance the view-ability in the immediate vicinity of the hide.
My thoughts as invited.

SJV

I will take a backseat with ideas as I am far too green to propose anything, I am here to learn, John I will definately be there this sunday 16th, see you then mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back