• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Twitch (1 Viewer)

can't remember really but my first immediate departure after receiving a message on my mobile was my first Cattle Egret earlier this year. Good job too as it only stayed one afternoon at Bowling Green Marsh.

The first bird I went for was a Bairds Sandpiper at Frodsham... and the first long distance one was a Lesser grey Shrike at Spurn.. That was about 15 minutes after passing my driving test... it would have been Sept 1980

Hi Jane,
My first twitch was to your part of the world, it was 1979 to see a Desert Warbler, I think the place was called Dove Point

Then we have almost certainly met. I saw that bird every day it was here! I didn't count it as a twitch though since it was in cycling distance from home and school!

Probably Waxwing - someone told me there were some in a park about a quarter mile from school. As soon as lunch break came round, I ran there pretty fast. Success, too.

Michael

Jane,
I remember somewhere near to where you obviously lived there used to be an adult Iceland Gull turn up every winter for a number of years. I suppose you saw the Stilt Sand at Frodsham a few years later.

The Iceland gull (Methusela) came back for ...I'll check..24 consecutive years. yes I saw the Stilt Sand... A lot of people also came for the Kentish Plover which wintered 5 years on the trot in the late 70's very conveniently at the end of the road my parents live on!

Frodsham stilt sand was probably my first major rarity (and first twich even though it was a relatively short distance) Remember seeing the famous Iceland gull at seaforth just before it dissappeared for good (1985 I think??) Remember going for a Red necked phalarope on the river alt I think in 83, was a very good bird and a lifer at the time..

If it was 1985, then it was older. I couldn't recall seeing it after 1980.... but thinking back..yes I did see it later. It was 29 then!

There was a Glauc on the Dee at Thurstaston that managed 10 or 12 years

Saw the Iceland Gull on Dec 22nd got home just in time to get a message of a Ivory Gull at Seahouses so went straight back out for that. That WAS a great bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back