• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Everyone from Pennsylvania, USA (1 Viewer)

hollyboc

I am just beginning to feed birds. I thought it would be fun to buy one of those small, clear acrylic feeders with suction cups to put at my kitchen window. In doing so, it took well over a year to get a bird in there!! Honestly it could have been more like two years. I was shocked. I changed the food constantly and never gave up. Early one morning, my husband came and woke me up and said... you have to see something! A beautiful cardinal was in the feeder. Since then, it attracts mainly house wrens, sparrows, and some pesky morning doves that drive all the small birds away. I rarely ever see a cardinal which is disappointing. While I respect all of God's creatures, and know they all have to eat, I'd like to discourage the morning doves because they have taken over. Any suggestions??

Hi Hollyboc and welcome to Birdforum. Maybe a seed/nut feeder in a different part of the garden to entice them in? Sunflower seeds go down very well here.

Rich

Rich is spot-on with his advice. Split up the incoming birds by providing another feeder elsewhere in the garden. We have a similar problem with Woodpigeons and having two feeders definitely helps.

Lee

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Holly, welcome to the forum. A second feeder with food the doves like might help your situation.

Hi Holly and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I agree with the others, provide something more to the doves liking, they are mostly ground feeders, I thought?

Hello from NY! Look at that, we're neighbors! A bird bath will also attract more birds to your yard. I had the same issue at first when I started to feed the birds... it took them close to TWO years before there was a beautiful array of birds feeding in my backyard. It really was pretty discouraging, but you stuck to it and you are rewarded! I found that once we got our first cardinal, the rest just magically came. Welcome to the forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back