• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quebec whale watching (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
I will probably send a quick write up of my day trip to Tadoussac next week to mammalwatching.com, but I just got back from Quebec City and the Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals conference. Most of the time was spent in the city or at the conference, so not much wildlife encountered, but we did make the 6 hour round trip drive up to Tadoussac on Tuesday to go on a whale watching trip. The trip was great, with up to 15 Northern Minkes at one time, as well as a single Humpback and scads of Gray Seal. We encountered Beluga once, on the passage between Tadoussac and Baie St. Catherine to pick up more people. Not the best views, but tickable none the less.

Tadoussac is probably a must for NA mammal listers, it's the only drivable place in North America where one has realistic chances for Beluga (the AK cook inlet population is few in number and very hard to encounter), and probably one of the best spots around for Minke and Atlantic Blue. Whales we didn't see which are frequently encountered include Blue and Fin whale and Harbor Porpoise. Uncommon but possible cetaceans include Atlantic White-sided and White-beaked Dolphin and Killer Whale. Rarities would included North Atlantic Right, Sperm, and Northern Bottle-nosed Whale. We definitely could have encountered more species with a couple of days in the region than just one 3 hour whale watch. Definitely want to come back for the Blue Whale!

yep, it's great place for whale watching. Had 3 Humpback's blowing bubble nets round the zodiac we were in!! + plus good numbers of other species...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back